Working out...when you're too sore to work out

Options
So, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips on what to do what you've worked out and are so sore you can barely get up out of a chair? I want to keep going but I (and I'm laughing here) can barely move!

Feel free to kick my butt if that's what I need...I'm willing but my body is WEAK!

Replies

• pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    You should work out! Working out will actually help with the soreness. You should probably not go so hard this time, though. It sounds like you overdid it.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If its your legs and core that hurt, and if you have a set of weights handy, so arm exercises (curls, extensions, etc). Or try some yoga to stretch out your sore muscles. Otherwise, give yourself a day off to rest and repair!
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    when i'm really sore all over i like to do easy aerobics. something that gets my whole body moving but nothing that is really strength training. that will help your body get un-sore more quickly. but don't go too hard, you don't want to pull anything.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain, I'm in the same boat! I was mega sore yesterday but still went to Kickboxing, then I regretted it. Everything hurt while I was doing it and I couldn't give my all. I wish I'd taken the night off and gone tonight instead, instead I will be skipping tonight. If you can do something I would, I think I'm just going to go for a walk or do some yoga, you may want to do the same. Feel better :bigsmile:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would say that your muscles are exhausted if you can barley move. Drink lots of water and do some light cardio. I wouldn't do anything too hardcore or push yourself. Just to get you moving around. Lots of stretching. Sounds awful but it will make you feel better
  • daisyfriends
    daisyfriends Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone...yesterday was the first time i worked out in a long time and i think i was overly eager. these tips are great.

as are all of you :-)
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that question as well because that happens to me a lot and I just give in to it. But this has helped me a lot as well.

We can suffer through the second day together LOL

Debbie
  • karenga
    karenga Posts: 28
    Options
    I have been in the same boat for the last week. As many have said before keep going but not so hard the second day. Maybe a short run / brisk pace walk / swim might be good to stretch out the muscles. Thats what I did with a workout each second day and a week later I'm almost beyond the pain, I can at least move now!!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Been there done that.. Just keep moving :-) it will be worse if you sit around. Also try a hot bath and put epsom salts in it that will help with my sorenss
  • bekabug
    bekabug Posts: 2
    Options
    Whenever I'm too sore it is usually because I didn't focus on my warm up/cool down and stretching before and after working out. It will make a big difference. It will make you less sore (not take it away totally) and speed up your recovery time so you can get back out there. :)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    (Sorry, double post!)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a few weeks ago....I did too many squats and hurt for days! Downhill/down stairs especially were painful. During these days, I just made sure that I walked A LOT. It helped with the soreness, sped up my recovery, and kept me on track!
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i agree I usually do stretching and light cardio on days I am really sore. It is important to stay moving whether its a walk or elliptical. stretching with light activity is important and makes for a better tomorrow.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    Sometimes it's ok just to take the day off too and let your body recover. YOu have to know what is best and right for you and your fitness level
  • daisyfriends
    daisyfriends Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think I stretched enough for sure...thanks again for all the tips!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions to get up and keep moving the next day after. It definitely helps.

Your muscles need a day to build and repair themselves after any intense workout. The most important thing they need to do this is fuel!!! The best fuel is protein! I've started drinking recovery drinks after workouts and it's making a world of difference. I'm not as sore the next day, which keeps me ready to workout the next day. These drinks are NOT just for guys who want to bulk up. It's great for everyone who wants to build LEAN muscle. Nuts, light cheese, and meat all help too after a workout.