FT4 Users

Options
I used mine for the first time today on an elliptical machine compatible with Polar heart rate monitors, and the machine says I burned 55 more calories than the FT4. Anyone else have this issue?

First time poster here, sorry if this question has been asked before!

Replies

• tdawg875
    tdawg875 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and the work out machine is never exactly what the heart rate monitor says. I would say most of the time my heart rate monitor shows that I burn more than the machine is telling me but way less than the estimates that MyFitnessPal gives you for doing the same activity for the same length of time.
  • Mommakat24
    Options
    Yeah I never go by what MFP says I burned, I don't understand where they get those numbers!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I trust the number on any HRM over what a gym machine displays, because the HRM has more information about you and better programs for figuring calories based on your input. The better data a program has to work with, the more accurate the result.
  • babyshroom
    babyshroom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The machines use more averages, the FT4 will be more accurate. Only a 55 cal difference is practically nothing anyways. I think the first time I used my FT4 there was like a 300 cal difference between the two.
  • Mommakat24
    Options
    300 calories?? That's nuts!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's all estimation, but your HRM is going to be the most accurate...still, I believe the Polar models were tested to be about 70-75% accurate in RE to calorie burn during an aerobic activity. Machines use a lot of averages and data bases assume certain levels of intensity which may or may not be present. Just remember that nothing is 100% accurate without getting into some expensive testing.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your FT4 has your weight, age and gender, and also it measures your heart rate.
    The machine at the gym captures your heart rate from your transmitter. It will only use your weight if you eneter your weight right before you start. Some machine do not even have the setting for entering weight. Most machines do not have a setting for entering age and gender.
    For all these reasons your own device is more accurate that the gym machine.
    That's why you spend that extra money.
    I love my FT4!
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The machines lie! I did intervals on a elliptical and the machine said I burnt over 750+ calories but my heart rate showed 500. I always go based on my heart rate monitor (FT4).
  • bunny92441
    bunny92441 Posts: 42
    Options
    I received mine yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I found out that I was not working in my heart rate zone nor burning the calories I thought I was. So now, I know I have to up the intensity. Love it!
  • SOCOLOCO87
    SOCOLOCO87 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    So does the FT4 give you calories burned? I have the FT1 and i am going to return it for the FT7 because i thought that was the only one that has continuous heart rate with calories burned as well.

I was told the FT1 counts calories but dicscovered it does not....

Thanks and i appreciate any info!
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use FT4 as well, and yes, it does give you total calories burned! It also tells you how much time of your workout you've spent in your target zone. I LOVE mine. But strangely enough, my numbers have been fairly close to MFP's numbers. I was surprised at first, but really my number are generally withing 10-20 calories! I'm 5'10" and was around 195 when I started using my FT4.
    The numbers on the gym equipment are always way higher (so inaccurate) and the numbers from other apps like Runkeeper are usually like 100-150 calories higher than what my FT4 reports.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I used mine for the first time today on an elliptical machine compatible with Polar heart rate monitors, and the machine says I burned 55 more calories than the FT4. Anyone else have this issue?

First time poster here, sorry if this question has been asked before!

The machines are estimates, the HRM are accurate for the person wearing it.

When I run on my treadmill, it will often say I have burned 700 calories, whereas my HRM will say 450. I always go by my HRM.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,707 Member
    Options
    My typical workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical targeting a heart rate of 140. I sprint for 20 seconds whenever my heart rate drops too low, and I hear that the FT4 probably doesn't deal with HIIT's particularly well.

HRM: 530 cals
    Machine: 780 cals
    MFP: 926

I trust the HRM the most.
  • pastrychefoz
    Options
    I use the polar f7 and I love it, yes it does read lower than the elliptical even while reading my calories burned on the LCD display.

The perks of the HRM is that it lets you know when you are in the zone, you get the most accurate reading of your cals burned so that you can log accurately. It works pretty easily, set up is quick the chest strap is pretty comfy. Probably has more functions that I need do I am happy.

Mike
  • Mommakat24
    Options
    So today, my FT4 said I burned 126 calories more than the machine! What gives?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I just did C25k for 30 mins and mine said I burned 80 cals. This HRM sucks!
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    love my FT4!Wouldnt take too much notice of gym machines either,your HRM is personal to yourself!