New to cycling

Options
Hi guys, I'm relatively new to cycling as I never learnt as a kid due to knee problems, any advice on training or how to build up my legs and endurance?

Replies

• hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Use a stationary bike at the gym to build strength?
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just try and build up your endurance slowly. I only have a stationary bike, but when I got first it, the first 10 minutes killed me on medium level, lol. Now I use the max level and do about an hour a day. Just start small and work your way up each today so you don't feel like you're in absolute agony :)
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the point of using at exercise bike at the gym if you actually have a bike. Why not get outside and just ride the in the real world. It's far more satisfying and is really what cycling is about. Learn to enjoy cycling for cycling's sake not as an exercise. If you do then you will want to go out riding as a hobby not something you do to "lose weight" or "get fit."

As already said just build up how long you are riding gradually. A little bit every day will get you much better results than say 2 longer rides each week. Always have at least one rest day though, maybe 2 when starting out.

People talk about never increasing by more than 10% each ride but personally I think this is too slow. To go from riding for an hour to 1 hour 6mins is hardly a increase in my book. Starting out I would increment by 15mins or so depending on how difficult the ride is. After a while you will get to understand your body and how tired/stiff you are going to feel the next day and you will be able to judge your increments better.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love cycling, it is very different to using a stationary bike (I do both regularly).. riding a real bike will use a lot more muscles than a stationary bike, but there is also an amazing satisfaction that you get from it as well.

What type of bike/terrain will you be riding and will you be using clipped shoes?? My partner used to get knee issues with clips.

Just get out there and ride, using pain as a threshold i.e. you don't want to be riding to the point where you get sore knees.. mix in some shorter hillier rides as this will assist in strengthening the muscles with longer flatter rides..

Ride as much or as little as you like, but have fun!!
  • spookygoldfish
    spookygoldfish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Stationary cycling is so boring compared to getting out there. When I first started a few months ago I pushed up the hills, cycled the flat & coasted downhill. Now I can cycle the lot and it didn't take long at all to build up the legs. A bonus was a quite remarkable decrease in cellulite on the thighs. :)

I find it works my legs, arms (weight support when standing on pedals over bumps or pedalling uphill with bum off seat) and core (keeping stable on rough roads when standing on pedals) - not forgetting the bum!

Edit to add - if starting out, pick quiet routes and avoid traffic until you feel more confident.
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the above. Main thing is to enjoy it and build up slowly but surely. Try to get out as often as you can and build up your milage.

I use a gps cycle computer (garmin edge 200) to monitor my progress. I find it very motivating to see my performance improve and use it to push myself to better times etc. This transfers data to MFP via endomondo very easily.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Sign up to this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain

Lots of great advice from friendly people :)
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I bought my bike a couple of months ago and am loving it. Just take it at your own pace - push yourself, but not too much that you want to throw the bike of a cliff! Stretch well before and after (don't forget the shoulders as you use them more than expected!) and if you want to strengthen your legs faster, add in some squats and lunges to your day to build the muscle a bit. Most importantly, enjoy it as it's such a great way to exercise and travel!
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi there
    I'm a road cyclist and would certainly advise using a bike suitable for where you plan to ride. If you're going off road alot then a mountain bike or Hybrid with wider tyres are best, but if you plan to ride the road then you'll need a road bike with road tyres :smile:
    If you already have knee issues, as do i and also a herniated disc, then i would siggest a trip to your local GOOD bike shop for a bike fit to check your positioning on your bike is set up for YOU and not Joe Bloggs, as standard!

Cycling is far more enjoyable when you chuck in wind resistance and scenary, so drop the stationary bike idea, untill you're accustomed and then you can use a turbo trainer for rainy days, but nothing beats riding outdoors.

Good exercises for quads will strengthen and protect your knees too. :smile:
    Hope that helps
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've only just started cycling too (well, a month ago I think) but I'm already seeing results as far as my fitness goes. I started off doing 20-30 mins round the park, 1/3 of that was flat, 1/3 downhill and 1/3 uphill (which I walked) and that was hard work. Now I've got a nice route sorted that is 5 miles/35-40 mins, almost all on the flat or very slight uphill and has various options for making it longer or shorter depending on how I feel (or I just do it twice) There is one pretty steep hill that I walk up but the rest is almost constant pedaling. It's obviously a workout for me but it's not too much.

Agree with people about stationary cycling, its too boring. If I was doing that I would probably do 10 mins a day before getting bored and giving up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Really just get out and do it. Decide what kind of cycling you are likely to enjoy the most and buy a suitable bike. There are some great secondhand bargains around and a good bike doesn't cost a fortune.

If you increase distance by 10% at a time you will be fine.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ is a good resource for finding cycling routes plus check out your council website, local bike shop or local bike clubs.

My knees are a mess and I find cycling is a real help in maintaining strength and stability. When you are more experienced then it's worth trying clip in cycling shoes as they help keep ankles, knees & hips in line plus allow you to partially use hamstrings as well as quads.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Best advise is to get on out there and do it, taking things slowly (no big hills for example!) by doing a couple of miles, see how it goes and gradually build it up from there. Don't think there is a need to do any preliminary work, though I am no doctor or can offer any sound medical advice! I've had minor knee issues over the years and I find cycling combats that and you'll naturally develop quads and calves of steel to aide your knee. :O)
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    keep the rubber side down and just ride.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here already, but my $.02 - get a comfortable bike for the sort of riding you want to do - a racer can be a bit hard to get used to at first, whereas a hybrid or a mountain bike might suit better. Get a fitting at your local bike shop, hopefully this will stop any knee problems.
    Then, just get out and enjoy it! The beauty of a bike is you can thrash yourself if you want to build fitness, but then you can go for a recovery ride on the same bike and take it easy. Cruising along on a sunny day won't feel like exercise but will still do some good, and the scenery and sense of achievement when you clock up a personal best distance takes your mind off the soreness. Get a good saddle too.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Gary

This really is excellent advice given above by Sijomial

'Really just get out and do it. Decide what kind of cycling you are likely to enjoy the most and buy a suitable bike. There are some great secondhand bargains around and a good bike doesn't cost a fortune.

If you increase distance by 10% at a time you will be fine.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ is a good resource for finding cycling routes plus check out your council website, local bike shop or local bike clubs'

There is a Sustrans route between Derby and Nottingham (I would recommend the section between Breasley and Derby especially) if you access the Sustrans site you can purchase cycle maps which show you the National Cycleways routes....most of them try and avoid roads......they really are excellent place to start cycling

In regards to weight loss and cycling, most cyclists eat like horses and still loose weight....I can verify that

cheers
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the option to enjoy the scenery of a non stationary bike, but I have a 21 month old child and Im a stay at home mum so that makes thing very difficult. So unfortunately, the only view I get is really bad really tv in front of my stationary bike, lol.