Anyone training for their first half marathon ?

Options
Hi,

I'm a 28 yrs old women training for my first half marathon in september. Anyone here doing the same ?

I'm looking for some support and motivation. Would love someone who's also on Garmin Connect and twitter to keep track of our workouts!

Anyone ??!??

Replies

• Womengineer
    Womengineer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was actually just talking to my sister about wanting to a half marathon by the end of the summer. But I am not on Garmin Connect, sorry!
    Good luck to you!
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I will start training for my second half soon. I ran my first half in April!! It was hard, as it was an incredibly hilly race, the next is pretty flat, so I am hoping for a PR! I do not have a garmin, I use the map my run app, and fitbit but you are welcome to add me as a friend!! Good luck in your training and remember to have fun!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your training! I was scared to death of my first half and so over-trained for it. It turned out okay and did better as a result of it, too, but it was also possible that I could have injured myself instead. So please set yourself a reasonable training plan and stick to it. By the way, I had three goals for my first race: finish, no injury, and no walking. Even just the first two would be pretty good achievements. You can always worry about speed the next time. Good luck!
  • maiDashLee
    Options
    Finished my first half marathon in Feb. The Princess Half at Disney! AMAZING experience. I ran. I walked. I Cried. I talked myself in and out of every mile. And I FINISHED! Awesome fun. Didn't train as hard as I should've. BUT effectively made it through thankfully with no injuries. Just focus, and push one foot in front of the other. Remember the basics, stretching, hydrating, and enjoying the experience.
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and training for my first half too! Yesterday I ran 10 k on my own! I use the nike app. How far into your training are you?
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half in October :)
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I did my first 12 years ago, my second in May and am leaning towards doing one in October..
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half in October. I've done a bunch of 5Ks and 10Ks, a few sprint triathlons and a mud run so I'm not brand new to running, but I've certainly never done 13 miles. Google "Hal Higdon" for a great training schedule. Since I still have almost 5 months, I'm not really actively doing true half-marathon training right now but I run 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week and will be increasing that gradually. I use Nike+ too, mainly because it's already on my iPod.
  • hdawg412
    hdawg412 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I just did my first half a month ago and would love to do another this fall. I feel that I will start from scratch on the training as my base mileage has dropped a ton since crossing the finish line.

Feel free to friend me. It is a great goal.

Heather
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    planning on doing my first half in september also. I've been doing 5k's and 10k's the past 2 years and I'm pretty good at the short distances (I ususally place top 3 in my age group). I'm not worried about the mileage, but I want to have a good time. I'm way too competative to not do well so I'm really working on endurance and speed with longer runs.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I will start training for my second half soon. I ran my first half in April!! It was hard, as it was an incredibly hilly race, the next is pretty flat, so I am hoping for a PR! I do not have a garmin, I use the map my run app, and fitbit but you are welcome to add me as a friend!! Good luck in your training and remember to have fun!

That's my goal: finish it! Even if I have to walk part of it. There's no shame! :)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and training for my first half too! Yesterday I ran 10 k on my own! I use the nike app. How far into your training are you?

I did my first 7k running all of it yesterday. I'm starting week 2 of a 17 weeks program. :) What kind of plan are you doing ?
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and doing my first half September 22. I am doing a program with our Local Running room. I use the map my run app. I am not new to running but this will be my longest for sure. Good Luck!
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and just did my first half in May. It was amazing. I highly encourage finding a friend to do it with - my running buddy was all that kept my sanity at mile 11! Have a great time!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My first is in October :)
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I did Hal Higdon's plan a few years ago and made it all the way to the 10 mile run and ended up with pneumonia. This time I'm just running 2.5-3 miles a few times a week on my lunch break and one long run on the weekends (only increasing .5 ish miles a week on the long run).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half in 2 weeks! And I'm 51.....

I've been following a 12 week training plan. In simple terms, I do a speed run (a 5km Parkrun) every Saturday, do a distance run on Sundays (done as much as 10 miles, aiming for 12 this week), and 2 other runs during the week.

I've run nearly all of the route incorportaing parts of it into my training runs, as I live quite close. I use MapMyRun.
  • waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    I'm 29 and hopefully running my first in September too! I will probably have to walk some of it, but I'm just going to do as much as I can
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for my first 5k since at the moment since I can only jog for about 20 minutes. But I'm hoping to do my first half marathon a year from now.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first AND second within a week of each other in May. LOVED IT!

Will be registering for another in Sept, Oct, Nov and if I find one...Dec too :happy: