Anyone training for their first half marathon ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i just did my first half in may... with very little training, sort of. i'm training for triathlons, so i just ran more.

the key is to pace yourself. i unfortunatly pushed too hard to fast. i don't know why i thought i could maintain an 8 minute mile for so long. the last two miles i was running at a 12 min/mile pace. ugh.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I am for the end of September. Some days I feel confident but other days I don't think I will even be able to finish.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half in September as well :) I have my 2nd 10km race on July 1st and am quite excited for the September race. I unfortunately don't have Garmin Connect and use Endomondo to track my runs :)
  • aislingtodonnell
    aislingtodonnell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 29 and also training for my first half marathon. I've recently run a few 10Ks and decided it was time to work my way up! I'm aiming for a race in early October so I've just started incorporating some speed/fitness work into my schedule and will soon start increasing the milage on my long runs. I don't have a Garmin but I use the runkeeper app.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and doing my first half September 22. I am doing a program with our Local Running room. I use the map my run app. I am not new to running but this will be my longest for sure. Good Luck!

Hi! :) I see you are from Buckingham. I'm in Gatineau! Are you doing the Army Run ?!?
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm 'thinking' about signing up for a half in the Fall, but haven't quite made up my mind yet :).

I did my first 10K in April, and now I run about 10K every weekend and am working on my time (speed) so that I can do another and maybe place decently too!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first AND second within a week of each other in May. LOVED IT!

Will be registering for another in Sept, Oct, Nov and if I find one...Dec too :happy:

Wow! Seems addicting! lol
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm 48 and am registered for my first HM at the end of this month (June 29). I do use Garmin Connect, but like another person who posted a reply here, I use Endomondo as well, and really recommend that one. At any rate, feel free to add me here, and if we can figure out the Garmin Connect, add me there as well! Best of luck with your half!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Training for one in the vague manner that I aim to do one and have started running again.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My first half will be in May '14. I haven't started training yet but am always looking for support and suggestions!
  • PatriciaDC
    PatriciaDC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and doing my first half September 22. I am doing a program with our Local Running room. I use the map my run app. I am not new to running but this will be my longest for sure. Good Luck!

Hi! :) I see you are from Buckingham. I'm in Gatineau! Are you doing the Army Run ?!?

Hi, I'm from Gatiineau too and I'm doing the Army run. I just did the Ottawa half-Marathon in May and the Army run in September will be my third half-marathon.

On se reparle!! écrivez moi si vous avez besoin d'encouragement!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i have my first 1/2 at end of august. i use garmin connect, it's a great tool for trying to beat personal bests and tracking distances.
    I am aiming to complete my 1/2 in 2 hours.
    Currently using the following plan each week:
    10k run
    farklet training for approx 8k-10k
    hill running training (murder!)
    weekly park run 5k race
    long run (approx 2 hours, 20k so far)
    cross training using exercise bike or weights for core building.

I'm really excited at the prospect of running the 1/2 marathon.
  • bbottomley
    Options
    I did my first half two years ago and I hated every single minute of it. I soon figured out this was because I did not train appropriately! Last March I did another one and used Hal Higdon's Novice plan and it went much better. However this April I just ran my third and used Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan and found it to be the absolute best training model. I run constantly still and I am learning, very slowly, and not on all days, to LOVE it. (If I write it and say it I will believe it, that's the plan!) I do not use Garmin Connect though, but I do use the Nike App. You will do amazing if your head is in the game!!! Good luck!!
  • hezro
    hezro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half in November and I am on Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/h3zr03. I would love a friend on there! I injured my foot last summer so still trying to get back to running but hoping to be able to start actually training for it soon!!