Challenge: No sugar for two weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people knew exactly what you meant. I applaud you for enjoying the other responses. Best of luck. You are very supported.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    the average person consumes alot of sugar. so lets put the blame on sugar as the problem for obesity. lets just stop it.

i heard water can kill you from water intoxication. lets just stop that too
    Love!
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I prefer to get my carbs from things like oatmeal, vegetables brown rice and quinona. I do not eat candy or cake except on special occasions (more cake than candy). If I am going to eat something sweet, I like it to have some good qualities (like fruit). As for completely giving up sugar? I do not think it is necessary.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar (unnecessary sugar like sweets, table sugar, artificial sweetners etc.) one year for lent and I really didn't lose anything and I didn't feel miraculously better. It just put me in a lot of awkward situations. It also gave me crazy dreams because I was denying myself my cravings.

However when I started eating more fruits and veggies and drinking more water that gave me tons of energy, made my hair grow faster, and helped me feel fuller longer. I still eat sweets because I love them I just don't eat 5 pieces of cake in one sitting. Or 2 cans of cream soda at dinner.

So I would say I'm all for challenging yourself and detoxing yourself, and fasts but really the only thing that works in the long run is balance and moderation.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good on you and good luck with it. You get a taste for sugar just like you get a taste for salt....I cut back like you and I found I was getting terrible cravings then after a couple of weeks they went away and I found that things that hadn't tasted sweet before (like milk) suddenly tasted really sweet. It obviously doesn't work for everybody but I have found that sticking to more complex carbohydrates reduces my cravings and hunger pangs so I hope it works for you too!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Salt is required by your body, sugar not so much. I think the OP has a great idea!

"sugar is a carb....."

Yes, but it is treated differently by your body carbs from things like a potato. (look at Sugar the Bitter Truth on you tube - it's an endocrinologists explanation of how your body treats things differently). You can easily get all the carbs your brain needs from veggies.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Salt is required by your body, sugar not so much. I think the OP has a great idea!

"sugar is a carb....."

Yes, but it is treated differently by your body carbs from things like a potato. (look at Sugar the Bitter Truth on you tube - it's an endocrinologists explanation of how your body treats things differently). You can easily get all the carbs your brain needs from veggies.
    based off a study where they injected a rat with 60% calories from straight sugar.

lustig is a moron.
    St michaels hospital disproven him and his underlying reason of why we are overweight is hypercaloric. His reasoning is "We're all hypercaloric"
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Stevia is a good natural substitute for sugar. I wish more companies would use it in their pre-packaged foods and drinks! It comes in powder, liquid, and flavored liquid.

Here is some info on it http://www.stevia.com/
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    We don't realize how much sugar we are putting in our system. We have been on a IV bag of sugar from our mothers womb and sugar is in pretty much a large amount of the food we eat. We can make everyday choices to eat better and find support that can encourage us in your decision. So starting tomorrow here we go and I will keep you posted.

good luck - don't listen to all the trolls who jumped all over you. I assume what you mean is you are not going to have any refined sugars. that's a good thing!! to me that means no sugar in the coffee, but also not eating any "sweetened" processed goods like sugary cereals or muffins etc. I assume you don't mean natural sugars in things like fruit, veg, or even just the trace amounts in otherwise healthy stuff like bread. but if you are trying to experiment w/ super low sugar, I don't see a problem w/ that either....just know that any complex carb you eat (beans, oatmeal) will be broken down to sugar by the body anyway - but that is a healthy choice too. if you are saying you are cutting out anything that can break down to sugar, like no carbs...I think that's ok for a little while as an experiment but pls be careful (and carefully follow the guidelines given by those low-carb programs like Atkins). good luck!!

ps - I would add that, while I think the science is out on stuff like Stevia...I would ask, unless one has diabetes, what's the point of using something artificial that could be potentially harmful in place of a little natural sugar? (I don't know that you will be doing this, but just thought I'd weigh in on artifical sweeteners). good luck!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean you're cutting sucrose (refined table sugar). I'm 2-3 weeks into doing this. I was a big candy binger, and finally decided that I had to eliminate it altogether to get over my that bad habit. I cut out all "sweets" and anything with added sugar including some sneakier things like bread, jerky, pasta sauce, and catsup. The sugar cravings went away after about a week. It's totally worth it to eliminate refined sugar if you have a real problem with it that is causing you distress. Add me as a friend if you want support.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean you're cutting sucrose (refined table sugar). I'm 2-3 weeks into doing this. I was a big candy binger, and finally decided that I had to eliminate it altogether to get over my that bad habit. I cut out all "sweets" and anything with added sugar including some sneakier things like bread, jerky, pasta sauce, and catsup. The sugar cravings went away after about a week. It's totally worth it to eliminate refined sugar if you have a real problem with it that is causing you distress. Add me as a friend if you want support.

Sucrose is also found naturally in fruits...
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great thing to do! I started working on cutting back my excessive sugar intake when I was being more health conscious abt 2 yrs ago and it really did leave me feeling great. Though I majorly fell off the bandwagon for almost all of the past year, I still haven't been as much of a candy, chocolate, pop or juice fiend (and cut all that sugar out of my coffee! step 2- cut back on coffee). I also cut out simple carbs (white breads, pasta) which made a huge difference in my energy levels (no more afternoon crash!!).

I don't know why everyone is raining on your parade with this, but you go for it. I knew I had a problem with sugars and I did what I needed to try to take care of it - good luck to you!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

sugar is a carb.....

Do you know the function of blood sugar? What blood sugar spikes? I dont get it.

If your insulin resistance is bad because of your lifestyle. Then that is your problem. If you exercise like you should be you will not have that problem

right... because you can just out-exercise a whole bunch of terrible nutrition choices. Great advice.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Sucrose is also found naturally in fruits...

I always thought that fruits had only fructose. I stand corrected. Still, you know what I mean. Go suck a ****.

Why so testy?

And is this refined or natural sucrose?

stock-photo-the-isolated-d-model-of-sucrose-sugar-on-a-white-background-27708232.jpg
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... PMS. And I'm not playing with you, but that's interesting food for thought. I'm still sticking with cutting out the added refined sugars though. Albeit, I have been persuaded by your implicit argument that any benefit from it is more a mental discipline thing than a physiological one.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

And is this refined or natural sucrose?

stock-photo-the-isolated-d-model-of-sucrose-sugar-on-a-white-background-27708232.jpg

nice.. regardless of whether or not they have the same molecular makeup, you can't deny that cutting out processed sugary foods will be psychologically beneficial for many overweight individuals... id say that the biggest problem losing weight is psychological impediments. Whether or not a calorie is a calorie or sugar is sugar, cutting out trigger foods is beneficial. That being said, you're right about everything you've said.

OP good luck.. expect cravings for a while but they'll pass. If you end up binging after any craving than its time to learn how to use some self control rather than trying to completely abstain from said foods. Sometimes going "cold turkey" does more harm than good.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I always thought that fruits had only fructose. I stand corrected. Still, you know what I mean. Go suck a ****.

incredulous_zpsbe22a281.gif
  • livingongraceandmercy
    livingongraceandmercy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love your profile pic