If I eat 2000 calories will I lose any weight?

Options
DarkLuca
DarkLuca Posts: 58 Member
Hey, So my BMR Is 2187 and my TDEE is 3000 something, And I was wondering If its okay to eat 2000 calories?
And If its okay How many pounds will I lose a week?

Replies

• gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do the math. 3500calories = 1lb. If your TDEE truly is 3000 (are you really active? MFP tends to overestimate) then you'd be losing a pound every 3.5 days, or 2lbs every week which is the high end of recommended. Certainly try it and see if you lose, if not, you know your TDEE isn't really that high and you need to lower your calories.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you should eat more than your BMR and less than your TDEE.

If you are already very lean and just want to lose the last few lb of stubborn fat, then eat 10% less than your TDEE

if you have a significant amount of fat to lose, i.e. you're obese, then 20% less than your TDEE is better

if you are severely obese you can probably eat 25-30% less than your TDEE, but it's generally advised not to eat less than your BMR calories

Think about it this way, your BMR calories is the energy needed to keep your cells alive and your organs functioning right. If you eat more than your BMR but less than your TDEE, you're burning fat through being active, while feeding your body what it needs. If you're eating less than your BMR you're not giving your body enough energy to keep your basic functions going... if you create too big a deficit (i.e. eat too little) you'll be battling hunger all the time, and you have a greater risk of losing lean body mass along with the fat, which results in your metabolism slowing. That's why it's important to lose fat slowly. You lose the weight too quickly and it's pretty much guaranteed that it's not just fat that you'll be losing.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hey, So my BMR Is 2187 and my TDEE is 3000 something, And I was wondering If its okay to eat 2000 calories?

You should be eating more than 2000 calories. I'd aim for 2500 (gives a 500 calorie deficit which is 1 pound a week loss)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You'll lose between 1-2 pounds per week, assuming your calculations are correct. Unfortunately you're at risk for losing a lot of muscle along with the fat b/c you're eating under your BMR. That can lead to a decrease in your metabolism that might make future weight maintenance or weight loss more difficult.

If you're relatively new to this, consider shooting for only a 500 calories per day defecit, eating plenty of protein (1 g per lb lean body mass), and doing resistance training.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Also, my BMR is about 1650. my TDEE is 2597. So I eat 2000 calories a day and I exercise but do not eat back my exercise cals because it is included in my intake. and even myself eating that much I lose!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    2200-2500
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I would go to a doctor and a dietician to get your actual BMR. That sounds pretty high. MFP is very generous with their numbers. I found out that my actual BMR was 800 calories less than MFP said it was.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Do the math. 3500calories = 1lb. If your TDEE truly is 3000 (are you really active? MFP tends to overestimate) then you'd be losing a pound every 3.5 days, or 2lbs every week which is the high end of recommended. Certainly try it and see if you lose, if not, you know your TDEE isn't really that high and you need to lower your calories.
    Do you have a citation for this tendency of MFP to overestimate TDEE? Its use of the NEAT method has fairly consistently shown up as lower TDEE numbers than, for example, the calculators at Scooby's Workshop, when I've mucked around with them.
  • tazzy2805
    tazzy2805 Posts: 25
    Options
    doin those sums i have to eat 2020 cals a day cant get my head around that i ;( seems waayyy to much for me i struggle to get 1400 cals in me like mfp tells me to do
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't put your weight loss on more then 1lbs.
    MFP don't tell U to do so.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Do you have a citation for this tendency of MFP to overestimate TDEE? Its use of the NEAT method has fairly consistently shown up as lower TDEE numbers than, for example, the calculators at Scooby's Workshop, when I've mucked around with them.

No need for a citation. My doctor and dietician calculated my BMR to be 800 calories less than the online calculators and my TDEE to be (though it changes daily sometimes drastically) around 1500 on a normal day. MFP had me at 2750
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

No need for a citation. My doctor and dietician calculated my BMR to be 800 calories less than the online calculators and my TDEE to be (though it changes daily sometimes drastically) around 1500 on a normal day. MFP had me at 2750
    That seems anecdotal, rather than general. In other words, the fact that your doctor indicated MFP's numbers (and - apparently - every other TDEE calculator's numbers) were too high in your specific case is not necessarily indicative that "MFP tends to overestimate."