Office Birthdays...

Options
It's my birthday next week, and in our office, on our birthday, we buy cakes and chocolates to share with everyone else. I'm planning on using up all my cake allowance at home with the family... so, that being said, what alternatives would you bring in to share?

Normally we spend less than £5 on goodies to share, and I was thinking fruit, but an apple is hardly a treat in here!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    38d8d3ba15725e03f9891d91c48dc5da_zpse345bdf7.jpg
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would say to ask them to create healthy treats. There are plenty of things out there and lots of people (especially me) will appreciate the challenge and a break from the norm. You can do things like mini cheesecakes or brownies.

P.S. This^^^ fruit cake is awesome. I want one of these for my birthday.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Buy cakes for the others.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We bring in treats on our birthday at my office as well. I wish we had a $ limit, some people go over the top. Personally, I'm not spending my weekly grocery budget on snacks for the office, LOL. That said, nothing says you have to eat anything you bring - so if it's easier, bring the usual, just don't eat any yourself. We've got 3 birthdays in our office this week alone (and one just last Friday!). Yesterday there were some lovely cupcakes. I said happy birthday to the person, but chose not to have any. Nor did I have any Friday - just because it's there, doesn't mean I have to eat it.

Loved that "cake" made of fruit above, too, but I'm not sure I have the talent to make it, LOL. My birthday is next month, I'll bring in whatever I find on the day old racks the night before. I won't eat any of it, nor will I take it home. If it's left over, it'll either stay here for the next day, someone can take it home or it will go in the garbage. I won't be buying a small buffet - like veggie tray, fruit tray, sweets etc. like some folks do... By the way, happy birthday to you!
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oh Goodness - I LOVE the Fruit Cakes! I may need 3 of those now! and a day off work to make them all hahahah - thank you!

@marc & Drojen - I may well buy some little nibbles for the masses - but the fruit cakes!

and thank you Drojen! I love that you get i from the day old rack! hahaha
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What about something like mini pavlovas/meringues - they're usually pretty good for calories.....

Or try to take one big cake to control the portion size that you're going to have. Alternatively throw in some little mini looking things, so again you have a small something without blowing your calories.

Happy Birthday! :)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Gorgeous!! I would so love that if my office gave it to me... I would flip!!

I work in an office swimming in cakes, donuts, etc. My suggestion: be honest with people about your diet. Eat before you go to work so you aren't hungry, then have a tiny piece of cake, or something sugarfree. Exercise more that day. I am a Junk Food Queen of the First Magnitude and don't want to take even a small piece -- it's torture instead of a treat.

And Happy Birthday!!
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Or you could just not be rude at the fact that your co-workers are doing something nice for you. Have a tiny piece or don't eat the whole piece if you're that serious. It's not like you're going to gain back all of your weight on one piece of cake.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

My office finally got the hint this year. They bought a massive veggie tray along with a massive fruit tray. I was a happy camper!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake and sliced strawberries.

or fruit kebabs and chocolate dip.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I specifically requested that veggies/hummus/fruit/cheese be served during my b-day celebration in lieu of cake. Everyone seemed really happy about it, honestly. No one feels good after eating a bunch of crappy food!
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake - I assume that's pretty universal and that you have that in the UK? We have it in all the grocery stores in the US. Not that you can eat half the cake, but a nice slice with either some sugar free whipped cream, sugar free pudding, or cut up fresh fruit (my choice would be the fresh fruit) and it becomes something that feels very decadent.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Or you could just not be rude at the fact that your co-workers are doing something nice for you. Have a tiny piece or don't eat the whole piece if you're that serious. It's not like you're going to gain back all of your weight on one piece of cake.

Wow! Talk about rude...

I'm wondering if maybe you didn't read the entire original post, or if maybe you gathered some other information from it besides what was intended.
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Wow! Talk about rude...

I'm wondering if maybe you didn't read the entire original post, or if maybe you gathered some other information from it besides what was intended.

or the fact you missed where I said WE bring our own treats in that day.. meaning I provide whatever goodies I see fit for my friends.. and I plan on eating actual cake at home with my family. Thanks for the positivity though my dear! :ohwell:

I'm quite excited by the fruit cake and a few store bought cakes for the office.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love the fruit idea (either a fruit platter or kabobs or that amazing cake). you can also go with savory instaed of sweet if you want - bring a few homemade dips (guac, hummus, etc), with crackers (mixture of whole grain and regular - most people, even the die-hard-we-hate-anything-diet-or-healthy just see "cracker" and will eat the healthy ones without thinking too much:bigsmile: ), pita dippers etc. or as others suggested - make mini something in individual cups (mini cheese cakes, mini brownies)
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A cheese track with crackers would be a good non cake alternative.