Can ingredient in Whey Protein Isolate stop weight loss?

Options
fatboy235
fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
Good morning my MFP friends,

Currently I am using Dymatize Whey Protein Isolate for one of my 5 small meals throughout the day. One of the members suggested that one of the reasons I am not losing weight is due to one of the ingredients. The ingredients are:

Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolates And Cross Flow Ultra Filtration Whey Protein Concentrate (Providing Di-Peptides, Tri-Peptides, Oligo-Peptides, And Poly-Peptides), Whey Peptides, Cocoa, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Acesulfame-Potassium, Sodium Chloride, Soy Bean Oil†

Contains Milk And Soy. †Soy Oil Is Genetically Modified.

Can anyone who uses whey protein speak more about this?
Thanks

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    If it causes your calories intake to be equal to or greater than your TDEE.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The only thing in whey protein isolate that has the potential to stop your weight loss is calories. And the only way for that potential to be realized is if you are consuming too much.

3677571647_09622f0c49_z.jpg
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If it causes your calories intake to be equal to or greater than your TDEE.

^This

I'd guess that you're either overestimating exercise burns or underestimating portions of food.
  • dmw1980
    dmw1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree it must be that you aren't burning as many calories as you are taking in each day. I take GNC's AMP Protein (great stuff btw) and have been losing weight and I keep myself under my daily calorie limit - most days.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    First, I smell broscience...

Second, Whey Protein is a supplement, not a meal replacement, be careful. Too many people start thinking that whey protein shakes are 'meals'. They aren't. If you have trouble hitting your protein macro, then use it. You;d be better off putting the $$$ toward real foods.

Third, Whey Protein is really for one thing, muscle recovery/repair. Unless you are lifting frequently and heavy enough to actually break down the muscle, you would be better served to get your nutrition (protein) from real food. But again, if you are having trouble hitting your macro, then use it.

Lastly, the only way that whey is going to stop 'weight' loss is if you blow out your caloric intake on a daily basis. 'Weight' loss is a simple matter of calories in vs calories out. 'Fat' loss is a different story.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, 233 pounds and MFP has my calorie intake to be 2010 calories a day for a 1 pound weight loss per week. I'm eating around 1800 a day, sodium is below 2500mg, sugars are around 60-70 (mfp has them set at 40)
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that artificial sweetners can cause a problem with weight loss - the Acesulfame-Potassium is the offending sweetner in your shake. Maybe try switching to an unflavoured, unsweetened product and see if you get on any better. I use this and make it up with unsweetened almond milk and a spoonful of instant coffee (mixed in a bit of hot water which I then add to the mixed shake) for flavour.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, 233 pounds and MFP has my calorie intake to be 2010 calories a day for a 1 pound weight loss per week. I'm eating around 1800 a day, sodium is below 2500mg, sugars are around 60-70 (mfp has them set at 40)

Could just be 1800-2200 (Just in case you're underestimating) is too many calories for you for your goals.

I'm 5' 9 and I find when I eat that much my weigh loss is very slow, even with the Sodium under 2500 I retain water, and it just takes ages and I have to hang in there to eventually drop 2 pounds in one go, then repeat.
    I'm better down at 1400 - 1600, I have to do too much cardio if I'm up higher to see the same progress.