Running woes...

Options
Any ladies out there, recently new to running, noticing you are losing your "bum"? I have been very excited and happy with losing weight but unfortunately I am noticing more of a sag in places I would assume would tone up from running. I guess its on to toning for me! Any suggestions on successful glute exercises? Thanks =0)

Replies

• Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've lost most of my weight in my butt and boobs. 2 places I would of been fine with staying the same.
    I've just been doing a lot of squats. Helps with the hiney, boobs not so much. But I figure I can buy those later. Lol
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Running only tones to a point. Your muscles usually gain all they will from running within the first month or so, at which point they become used to the routine and won't strengthen any further. Sounds like you need to bring in some weight lifting now...will help you out some. But, until you have reached your goal....there is no guarentee that it won't keep coming off your bum. Can't pick and choose where we lose the weight.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Squats.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It is good to supplement running with strength training--your running will get better for it. If you want to keep getting good results from running, you have to incrementally increase your mileage or speed, too.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any real boob loss until I started running. Sad news, but I'm still going to run. I've discovered that I actually can do it, and now I've got a half marathon goal.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Will a leg press help at all? I have bad hips & too many squats make them cranky.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I lost enough volume in the backside to cause some sag, but its more of a loose skin + what little fat is left issue. I do RI 30 and weight training. Leg press, lunges, jumping lunges, single leg squats, split leg lunges, plie squats (and the same with jumping), burpees, and some other exercises I don't know the name of (but Jillian does them in RI30) are helping.
  • oberpfalz
    oberpfalz Posts: 13
    Options
    I started running last year February. That's the only exercise I love to do. I never ran before in my life. Couldn't run for more than like 30 sec. Now I run, well I would say jog for over an hour and burn up to 900 calories. I lost 4 pant sizes and my butt and my legs are slimming down. I'm over 40 years old and lost 40 lbs. I also have a bow flex I work on my off days. And I have to do planks to strengthen my lower back and abs or I get problem with my lower back.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    Squats, lunges...do exercises that target your lower body. I picked up running at the beginning of April to train for a few races I'm doing in the next few months and those exercises helped make the transition from treadmill to road ridiculously easy. Next big thing is getting my mileage up.

Also helped enhance my butt :)
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Also hill repeats will work your glutes!!! In addition to the already mentioned squats!!!
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Will a leg press help at all? I have bad hips & too many squats make them cranky.

How deeply are you squatting, and where are your feet and knees when you are doing the squats? Also, are you doing them with weights or without? I am asking because there are a lot of different types of squats out there, and they do not all challenge your hips in the same way.

In general, compound exercises are more functional and will get you results in less time than machines, but if you cannot do them for some reason (such as hip problems), then machines are fine. The only problem with the leg press that it does not allow for as much range of motion as a free weight squat does. That, and you can injure your lower back on a leg press because it is possible to round it while using the machine. If you want to avoid that, do the leg press with one leg at a time.

Also, make sure to do something for your calves. Strong calves = fewer lower leg injuries from running.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges!!!!!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options

How deeply are you squatting, and where are your feet and knees when you are doing the squats? Also, are you doing them with weights or without? I am asking because there are a lot of different types of squats out there, and they do not all challenge your hips in the same way.

In general, compound exercises are more functional and will get you results in less time than machines, but if you cannot do them for some reason (such as hip problems), then machines are fine. The only problem with the leg press that it does not allow for as much range of motion as a free weight squat does. That, and you can injure your lower back on a leg press because it is possible to round it while using the machine. If you want to avoid that, do the leg press with one leg at a time.

Also, make sure to do something for your calves. Strong calves = fewer lower leg injuries from running.

Thanks. I was just doing body weight squats. Feet a bit more than hip distance apart. Weight on my heels. Going as deep as I could. Parallell to floor or lower. Knees over ankles.
  • bumblebums
    Options

Thanks. I was just doing body weight squats. Feet a bit more than hip distance apart. Weight on my heels. Going as deep as I could. Parallell to floor or lower. Knees over ankles.

And what kind of hip problems are you experiencing? Is it just muscle soreness, pain at the attachment sites of specific muscles, or does it feel like joint pain? Maybe spend some time on a good med site like the Mayo Clinic to try to figure out what's wrong...
  • Onyx3333
    Onyx3333 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You guys are all great, thank you for the advice! :smile: