Jogging Pain

Options
I was born with a mild heart murmur, I used to have asthma pretty severe but since the weight loss I haven't had an attack in about 15 months. I recently bought a pair of running shoes (nike) and thinking about pursuing trying to jog. When I go to the gym I walk at a 15.0 incline which is the steepest the treadmill can get and I walk between 3-4.0 MPH. would it be worth it to try and jog even though I get out of breath very fast and sometimes I get a strange pain in my chest? I can usually jog for about 30 seconds and then I have to slow down. My heart rate gets to around 130-170 just by walking at an incline and I go to the gym faithfully 4-5 times a week and I'm starting to do weight training as well. It just seems a little pointless to jog and run when I can walk holding on the treadmill at such a high incline. I usually burn between 300-600 cals every time I go to the gym!

Just wanting some opinions on whether or not it's worth it or if I should just stick to what I'm doing

Replies

• lynnhearl
    lynnhearl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walking an incline of 15 at 3-4 MPH is a great high intensity workout! If you enjoy doing this, by all means continue. You can vary with incline, speed and some jogging. The benefit of learning to jog/run is an exercise you can take anywhere with you. I have done runs all over the place, Vegas being one of my favorites! All I need to pack are my running shoes and cloths, no equipment. The important thing is is to make it a life time commitment to move, no matter what the move is. Weights are very important as well and muscle will burn more calories (bonus). I would discuss your strange pain chest with your doctor. At the include and speed you noted, you should be out of breath and your heart rate high. I would suggest not taking it to the level where you begin to feel the strange pain in your chest until you clear this with your Dr.

Good luck and keep up the sweat dripping!
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You need to make an appointment with your doctor. I would not pursue running/jogging until you know what's causing the pain in your chest.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes by the time I am done on the treadmill I'm flushed and my heart rate is up the whole time! I don't want to push too much so I will go VERY slow with the jogging and the next chance I get to see my doc I will ask.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Put the treadmill down to an incline of 1-2 and try a 5 mph pace. The incline is mild and simulates running outside somewhat by the 5 mph pace is a good, slow jog that's a great place to start.

Give it a shot.

If you don't like it, keep on keeping on with the walking!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Try walking outside.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor as far as the chest pain goes. It could be nothing... Odds are you're just over exerting yourself when you're trying to jog at a 15.0 incline... Especially if your HR is already up in the 160+ range while walking. Bring the incline down to 5 or lower, and bring your speed to 5.0. Running on steep inclines for prolonged periods can also have some detrimental effects on your knees (e.g. runners knee).

Or, keep doing what you're doing. I've been running for a few years now and I couldn't walk at 4.0 MPH at a 15.0 incline for too long. :smile:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You need to make an appointment with your doctor. I would not pursue running/jogging until you know what's causing the pain in your chest.

This.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Yes. Whenever you feel pain that isn't just normal "exercise soreness" you should consult a professional, especially with a heart condition. Your doctor can help clear up any concerns and can suggest safe exercises for you.
  • PinkyMouse
    PinkyMouse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    definitively, it is not here that you have to ask this question... you MUST see a doctor and be followed by him, especially if you have heart murmur !!! Only him/her can answer this question with objective criteria of your health !

Good luck in your journey and goal achievement :smile:
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! but just to clear this up, I don't jog at a 15 incline! I walk at a 15 incline. I tried jogging outside, and on the treadmill at 0 incline :)
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options
    I would check with your doctor as far as the chest pain goes. It could be nothing... Odds are you're just over exerting yourself when you're trying to jog at a 15.0 incline... Especially if your HR is already up in the 160+ range while walking. Bring the incline down to 5 or lower, and bring your speed to 5.0. Running on steep inclines for prolonged periods can also have some detrimental effects on your knees (e.g. runners knee).

Or, keep doing what you're doing. I've been running for a few years now and I couldn't walk at 4.0 MPH at a 15.0 incline for too long. :smile:

I walk at 15 incline but I tried jogging at 0. I will give the 5.0 jog a go tonight and go at 30 second intervals and then walk for a minute or two. I will try this a couple times and if the pain starts I will stop. :)
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I walk at 15 incline but I tried jogging at 0. I will give the 5.0 jog a go tonight and go at 30 second intervals and then walk for a minute or two. I will try this a couple times and if the pain starts I will stop. :)

Ah, I didn't catch that. I think interval training to start is the best way to do it. If you're not familiar, look up Couch to 5k (C25k). Even if you're not planning in running a 5k race it is a great place to begin for new runners.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Options
    Thank you!