I screwed up! UGH!

Options
So we were shopping the other day. I bought a bottle of French & Ranch Walden Farms dressings. THEN I came here to check it out. I'm so upset right now...for wasting my money LOL I tried it. It wasn't HORRIBLE but it was weird tasting. Now, I know why. It will be thrown out. I'm not obsessed about clean eating, but I can say I'm more aware and adamant about it than I used to be. Is there ANY other lower cal dressings that can compare anywhere close to Hidden Valley Ranch and Western French? I know nothing will taste exactly like it, but if I can get close, that would be great. Kraft is out of the question, as neither of us like it.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a one.

I don't use any low cal salad dressings; I'm just very careful about how much I use. I'd rather have a little of something good than a lot of something awful.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a salad dressing girl. But in my experience with regards to similar situations have you considered making your own lots of recipes online good luck

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-517/salad-dressing-recipes.aspx
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Litehouse makes a terrific salsa ranch. I'm not a huge fan of regular ranch dressing so haven't tried their version of that, but it might be one to check out.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I really like Bolthouse Ranch Yogurt dressing. You buy it in the refrigerated section of the produce. It's 45 cals for 2 TBS and yummy!
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms stuff is GROSS, in my opinion anyway. I'm so sorry you had to experience that.
  • jsquash
    jsquash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Bolthouse creamy yogurt dressings, I love the ranch and honey mustard. They are around 45 calories for 2 tablespoons, and I think they are delecious. They are the best low cal versions of these dressings that I've tasted. I think they have a french too, but I haven't tried that one yet. They are in the refridgerated section.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have avoided Walden Farms dressings because of the bad reviews I read, so I just use regular dressings in moderation. But I am am anxious to try their pancake syrup... I have read many positive reviews about that.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i never use a ready-made salad dressing, not ever. Here's a few I 'make' (well, just kind of sprinkle on really, though you can mix them up in a shaker or a jar with a lid on))

1. a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (measured) and a sprinkle of oregano and sea salt flakes
    2. same as above with a squeeze of lemon juice (with or without the oregano)
    3. plain and simple balsamic vinegar (especially yummy with tomatoes and onions)
    4. for something a little thicker for dipping, tzatziki (greek yoghurt -r use half yoghurt half water, cucumber, garlic, salt, dill, droplet of vinegar)

enjoy!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I always make my own.
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    I make the same salad dressing my father used to make in Nice, France.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Make your own :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I tried a Walden Farms product that was so disgusting I actually wrote a hate letter to the company, so I'm not surprised the dressing was bad. The Aldi Fit & Active dressings are pretty good, but very high in sodium. A lot of the time I just sprinkle on a little balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil and call it good.
  • yacapraro5
    yacapraro5 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really like the Marzetti light ranch that you can get in the refrigerated section by the salad mixes. I'm a ranch snob and will always choose the full fat buttermilk ranch dressing if it is available. While this one isn't exactly the same, it really lets me enjoy my salad without feeling like I'm just chewing on grass, lol.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I bought the honey mustard. I dipped my finger in it to taste it and almost threw up. It was THAT bad. Ugh I'm gagging just thinking about it.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Low calorie dressing is gross all around, just stick with the real stuff. Work it into your daily targets and move on. I seriously do not ever sacrafice taste for lower calories.
  • graceeloser
    Options
    I use regular dressing at the serving size or just a bit less. I recently got a 'salad shaker' for a promotional event. It allows me to put all my salad stuff in it, then pour the dressing on, and shake. A little dressing goes a far way in coating all the lettuce and added stuff. That has saved me a bunch of calories because I really like my salad drenched in dressing. My salad shaker is cylindrical and hard to eat out of so I'm looking for another one that is more user friendly. I like the looks of the Tupperware one. You can go to Tupperware's website and search for salad on the go! You could do the samething at home with any sort of lidded container, like Gadware, Tupperware, or Rubbermaid
  • Troy_Boy1969
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, use the scan barcode feature in the MFP App to see what's in stuff before you buy it. I have yet to scan anything that wasn't in the database.
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about that dressing. I have tried the Boathouse and it's ok. Most of the time I just use regular dressing & am careful about my portions.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Bolthouse Farms. I have enjoyed all of their dressings. They taste "normal" and not like most lower cal dressings because they cut calories with normal ingredients instead of all chemicals.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I don't use any low cal salad dressings; I'm just very careful about how much I use. I'd rather have a little of something good than a lot of something awful.

This is how I approach it as well. Sorry I don't have a better solution to offer you, OP. :flowerforyou: