What's a reasonable time for a half marathon?

Options
2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...there definitely is a school of thought among some runners that certain people shouldn't be running races, especially marathons and half marathons unless they complete it under a certain amount of time. They think that it weakens the integrity of their sport to have someone finish a marathon in anything more than say 4 hours, for example.

I don't think I fully agree with this. A lot of the people who qualify for Boston do a walk/run split. True runners won't care if others do a walk/run combination. Othen, when you come across people who think like above, it is because they are new runner's themselves and think that to be a runner you can only run. There are a lot of people who practice the Galloway running method.

A lot? I don't think so. I have done 3 marathons, finishing in 3:38, 3:26 and 3:12 (BQ) and have seen zero Galloway advocates in those pace areas.

The Galloway program is a fantastic way for newer runners to increase the time on their feet and to go longer distances, but to lay down a really fast time, you have to run. Jeff Galloway didn't walk in his fast marathons.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So I agree with checking the race time predictor on Runners World that will give you a good idea of what time you can expect. The other thing you should do is look at the races you are interested in and find out how ling the course is open.

I run the BAA half (run by the same org as the Boston marathon). It clearly states on the website that the course closes in 2 hours and 30 minutes. This is not exactly true, but it's to discourge walkers. The BAA half was my first half so I followed a plan to get under 2:30 and ran it in 2:22 feeling strong. My current pr is 2:11:46 and I'm working on breaking 2 for the next baa half.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A good time is what you are capable of, not what everyone else's times are. Race calculators are designed for you to set reasonable expectations of your time based on what you are currently capable of. It basically works as a translator from one distance to another. Do not listen to idiots who tell you that you have to finish in a certain time. I ran the San Diego Rock n Roll last weekend and the winner finished in under 1 hour. If that was the standard the other 17,999 of us should have stayed home. Your time should be based on your ability and nothing else. Finishing a half marathon is a major accomplishment. A race calculator will allow you to set reasonable expectations for yourself and help you cross the finish line with reduced risk of injury. Have at it and have a great race!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of sub 2:15\2:30 run\walkers. Don't let anyone tell you, you have to run to be fast. Besides finishing the race, there's nothing more satisfying than passing the pace groups as I'm doing my run\walk intervals.

Run your race, not anyone else's....
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Finishing the half would be a wow moment. Go young lady
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I know plenty of sub 2:15\2:30 run\walkers.

Half marathon, right?
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    If this is your first half marathon, your only real goal should be to finish it.
  • fabfindz05
    Options

Half marathon, right?

Yep.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Half marathon, right?

Yep.

Then, yes, I'm sure there are. Perfectly acceptable way to complete a HM if that is what you need to do.
  • fabfindz05
    Options

Half marathon, right?

Yep.

Then, yes, I'm sure there are. Perfectly acceptable way to complete a HM if that is what you need to do.
    Or want to do. At this point, I have no desire to run an entire half. :-) I've gotten a lot faster than I thought I would using interval training and I think I'll stick to it.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Half marathon, right?

Yep.

Or want to do. At this point, I have no desire to run an entire half. :-) I've gotten a lot faster than I thought I would using interval training and I think I'll stick to it.

Whatever works for you. I was only contesting the one posters assertion that there are "a lot of" Boston qualifiers that use this method.