Why am I so scared of the gym

Options

Replies

• iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have as much to lose as you do, and completely understand how you feel. I think I got really really lucky when I found my gym! I got referred by my doctor to a class for people with chronic conditions (I have diabetes) and I think most overweight people would have something that would qualify them. I don't know if they will have anything like that where you live, but check with your doctor, or check with the gyms or other fitness places to see if they do, or if they at least have classes for newbies or overweight people. They taught us warm up and cool down exercises, they showed us how to use all the cardio equipment, and some of the strength equipment. It's a city run facility, and there are literally people of all types there, teens to eighties, super slender to, well... me! Mostly I get smiles and asked how I am doing. I think some of the younger folk may give me "that" look but at least they have the good sense not to say anything! I think that most people there really do get that the people that are there are working on their problem. If you can find a larger gym that has longer hours and a mixed clientele, you may find, like I have, that it's not so bad! I go early in the morning before it's too busy (but in the winter I am going to try mid afternoon - they tell me it's pretty much vacant then!) I honestly would not be where I am now if I hadn't gone into that program. Plus a great bonus, got $100 off the yearly membership!

eta: hadn't read all the posts - just read a couple above mine to see that you did go - hurray!!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    the gym is not a place to look your best. we all look sweaty and red. If your not...you are doing something wrong...
    When going to the gym: my hair is always messy, im sweating pools, my face is a tomato, i breath heavy...and I feel strong and sexy.

don't stress and have fun! try classes like zumba or step.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Perhaps this um...insightful...comic from the Oatmeal can shed some light on this scenario. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym

Really though, the only thing to be afraid of at the gym is whether or not some really sweaty person forgot to wipe off their machines when they were done. And that can be solved by pre-cleaning the machines. :)

Well I am also afraid of tripping on a treadmill and smashing my face whilst being rolled into those weird wall mirrors, but I am a really clumsy person on a treadmill.

98% of the people at the gym don't care what the other people are doing. The other 2% are the secret judgers because they don't have the self-esteem to think good thoughts about themselves. That 2% is not worth using up an iota of your mental space to worry about. They've got problems of their own to work on.

So just go, rock out, and know that you did it because it's for YOU, not those random people at the gym. :)
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is wrong, but I just can't get my head around going to the gym. I can't stop thinking that everyone will be looking at my jiggling, and sweating and puffing and panting and laugh at me.

Its really inhabiting my progress.

Every time I gear up to go, my own self conscious lets me down :'(

Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't worry about it!!! everyone in there is there to work on themselves. Congrats on taking this far of a leap to get healthy :)
  • Quattrone21
    Options
    Just put on the IPod and forget everyone is there
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    can you afford a trainer? they can show you the ropes, give you tips, give you a plan?

Do you have a friend that would go with you? Maybe someone that's comfortable with they gym.

You just need to get over the hump and get in there. I go to the gym regularly, I'm comfortable there, mostly because I don't think anyone pays any attention to me, or vice versa.

Good luck! You can do it.
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are some things in life that you just have to grin and bare. As several people have already said everyone is to focused on what they are doing to look and judge others. It gets easier the more you go.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You'll all be pleased to learn, that I did go, my husband persuaded me and promised he'd stay with me the whole time we were there, and he did bless him, I probably hampered his workout some what.

It was all those things I imagined it was going to be, but I did it, and we are going to try and go again on Thursday.

Good girl! When I would go the the YMCA with my husband I used to have an anxiety attack so we would start in the racquet ball court for 30 mins or so. Then we would go up to the machines and free weights etc. It gave me a chance to settle down and become comfortable.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My friend Paul and I started going to the gym together my starting weight was 240 lbs and he was 300+ lbs.

We both had the new person in the gym look on our faces but once we got to know some people there we were ok. Some of the people there have been in our shoes and they know what it was like to be heavy. people do not go to the gym to mock people and if they do, forget them!

Here soon while you are at the gym and you are really close to your gaol someone will come in for the first time and they will look at you thinking the same thing you thought when you started
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    It took me awhile to become comfortable with using the cardio equipment in the front of the gym (under the nice big fans) instead of the equipment in the back of the gym where it's at least 5 degrees hotter. I hated the way my body jiggled around as I did my cardio and I didn't want people looking at it. I totally get it. As I became comfortable with my gym and realized that everyone is there focusing on their own goals, I let go of my concerns.

Try using more isolated equipment (far to the side, next to the wall or in the back if available) until you get used to things. People watch and you will see that you have nothing to worry about. I've never seen anyone poking fun at any one else at my gym. Or...you can go earlier in the morning or later in the evening to avoid the gym rush. People will still be there, obviously, but not nearly as many!
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just put on the IPod and forget everyone is there

I see you made it to the gym (awesome, go you!) but I was going to suggest this also. Eons ago when I was terrified of the gym, I'd go in with tunes blasting on my discman (yeah, I'm old) and pretend no one else was there. This alone gave me the courage to go into the weight room which was -- and still is, at every gym I've ever been to -- a testosterone-packed zone.

That, familiarizing myself with as much equipment as I could online before setting foot into a gym, and having a set workout plan so I would feel less like a clueless noob helped me conquer my gym fears and now, I'm a full-fledged gym rat.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless you do something to really draw attention to yourself like singing loudly on the treadmill, I won't even notice you. I just go there to do my thing and go home. And on the occasion I do pay attention to others, it is to see if my form matches theirs on something (since I always think I am doing it wrong) or b/c I am so impressed with whatever they are doing.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You just have to suck it up and go. I'm 99% sure that whatever you're scared of won't happen.

The same thing happened to me. I bought a groupon for a bootcamp class and it took me five weeks to get up the gumption to attend. I was afraid that I'd be the biggest person there, that I wouldn't be able to keep up, that people would point and laugh or wonder what a fat person like me was doing there. Guess what? People see me being fat every time I go out in public. Why should it be worse for them to see me doing something to get healthy (even if I am not the most coordinated or graceful person out there)? I just got back from attending my third class and my fears were largely unfounded. I am the biggest person there, but I'm definitely not in the worst shape. And every time I go I'm getting better. I have to modify some of the exercises, but so do other people. Sometimes I'm the slowest (running bleachers in 90 degree weather almost killed me last weekend), but I'm not in a competition. I can look at others in the class and be inspired to work towards their level, at the same time all I can do is the best that I can and attempt to improve each time.

Worrying about what other people think is not going to help you achieve your goals. Taking action is the only thing that will do that.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For the most part, just like everyone else said, no one is really paying attention to you at the gym, they are trying to get the most out of their own workout.

That being said, what's more important? Dealing with your social anxiety? Or being fit and healthy?

If you are going to be spending your gym time worried about how you look and what other people are doing and not focusing on your self then maybe you shouldn't do your workout at the gym. I don't know how many times in the past I've gone to the gym but kept walking past it without going in because something made me nervous or uncomfortable. So rather than dealing with my mental problems I forgo the gym and workout elsewhere. I'm doing You Are Your Own Gym at home 3 or 4 days a week and I run 4 days a week outside (I can handle running outside, because I feel it's very different from being in the same room with people for 40 minutes). My program completely works for me, I've lost weight, I'm gaining strength and I'm achieving my running goals without working out in a formal gym setting.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym. 100 pounds ago I didn't like that at all. I tried really hard to find clothes I would feel comfortable in and that really helped. I just had to get over that mindset. I was usually the biggest person there when I was working out but who cares!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's sad that some people have had horrible experiences at the gym. No-one should be treated like that. After all, everyone who is at the gym is there to get healthier and more fit, regardless of their size.

Do you have a friend you could go with? I always find that being at the gym is fine, but sometimes the idea of going is worse than the reality.

I started off at 220lbs. I must've looked a mess too as my baby was 7 weeks old and I was often at the gym in 3 hours sleep! Still, I just put my headphones in and got on with it. Worth it as now I weigh 157 and am really fit.

Most people are only concerned about themselves. Listen to your music and ignore everyone else!
  • sockergurl04
    Options
    I started going to a gym when I was 270. When I took a tour of the gym a saw and insanely ripped guy who is nothing but huge muscles from head to toe. He scared me sooo bad, I was sure he would be laughing at me all the time. He and several other guys along the way would stand by my treadmill or bike or whatever and tell me how pretty I was every day!! I was by far the heaviest girl in that particular gym. BTW, they did not hit on me out of sarcasm. I quit going there years ago and they still ask about me when they see my uncle (who use to work out with me there), and they still try to talk to me on FB. Don't be scared. be proud that you are setting your self apart from the other heavy girls at home eating ice cream and chips on the couch everyday. You are amazing, don't forget it.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I have always been intimidated by the gym. I finally found one near my house (3 minutes away) and I go at 4:30 am (because that's really the only time I have to go). Not a SOUL THERE. They also don't allow everyone and their brother to join in order for them to maintain a good ratio and so that everyone and their brother isn't there fighting over machines, etc. Even when I went to the gym before though and it was crowded, the one poster is correct .... everyone (most everyone) is very focused on their own workout (except for those who are there trying to pick up guys in the weight room, in which case they're focused on something else LOL). Find somewhere that you feel comfortable. Shop around. You'll do great!!!
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am extremely shy and I don't like going into unfamiliar environments - I find it very scary! Some things that worked for me:

1. Go at a time when the gym is less busy
    2. Start with the least intimidating thing - for instance: go in and walk on a treadmill. I had to work my way up to using machines and attending classes.
    3. Does your gym offer any kind of orientation? Mine did, so I was able to go in and have the machines demonstrated, etc.

If there is a friend who could go with you, that may also help. And, in my experience, everyone at the gym was friendly and supportive. Just start going and give yourself time to get used to things. It's really not so bad!
  • halfpint002
    Options
    I didnt want to start at the gym either so i understand exactly how you feel, so when i first started i asked a friend to come along with me....After going for about a week my friend quit but i didnt want to quit so i made a rule to try something new and go it alone lol. Anyway i did (eventually go it alone and to my amazement no one took a blind bit of notice of me lmao...the way i see it is that we are all there to lose weight or tone up. And really its not as scary as you think ...and your wobbly bits will be bouncing around just the same as the next person so seriously dont worry about it and get going x :wink: