QUESTION FOR RUNNERS - PACE

Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
I have worked up from a 25min walking mile in March to 3 16:00 miles on a fairly consistent basis. I find that the right playlist is crucial for me to keep my pace. I love JogFM.com to find songs at a specific bpm.

I want to start running and don't know how to convert my walking speed to a running speed. I try to run to my 15:45 pace walking playlist and it is just WRONG. Any suggestions on what a good starting running pace would be if I'm walking at 15:45 to 16:00 consistently (2 3-mile walks 2 times a day)?

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Run at what you feel comfortable with. I started out at about a 13-14 minute mile pace, and after a few months found myself comfortable at a 11-12 minute mile pace. Give yourself a few days to get used to what you are doing, but don't be afraid to slow down or speed up when you need to - you will find your pace!
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Hi, I've been doing C25K for about a month now and I've learned a ton about running on my journey. Based on what I've read, you use different muscles for running and they need to be built up slowly to reduce chance of injury. If you've never run before I wouldn't worry about speed, I would just keep it really slow and build up those running muscles. I definitely, definitely would recommend C25K to gradually build yourself up for running, the program is amazing and totally works. You may think you are going too slow but you really don't want a serious injury. Best of luck to you!
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    C25k is an awesome app to use to work up to running. You can also just do easy intervals run 1 minute and walk 1 minute. Just start out slow and work your way up. there isn't much of any rhyme or reason to it, just do what is comfortable for you and keep at it and eventually you will keep getting faster and faster. Good luck!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    The mechanics and foot turn over are different between walking and running just enough that a 16 min/mile jog could have a different cadence than a 16 min/mile walk. Finding a play list for running that works with your tempo and pace takes playing with different songs and seeing what works and what doesn't. You will want to find faster tempo music to go with running. One way to figure out your cadence would be to jog for 10 seconds and count how many times you step on your left foot. Multiply it by 12 and you have your 1 min turnover rate. Find songs with similar tempos or even have half beats that fall within your cadence.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    The mechanics and foot turn over are different between walking and running just enough that a 16 min/mile jog could have a different cadence than a 16 min/mile walk. Finding a play list for running that works with your tempo and pace takes playing with different songs and seeing what works and what doesn't. You will want to find faster tempo music to go with running. One way to figure out your cadence would be to jog for 10 seconds and count how many times you step on your left foot. Multiply it by 12 and you have your 1 min turnover rate. Find songs with similar tempos or even have half beats that fall within your cadence.

Thanks, that answers my question.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Tempo is key.

Do you have access to a treadmill? Here's a fun little thing that I did... I walked on the treadmill, gradually increasing the speed... until I couldn't walk and keep up with the treadmill anymore (the point in where I would have to run). That was my bottom pace. I continually increased until I couldn't keep up with the belt for more than 2 minutes at a time. That was my top pace.

For me, personally, I walk a 14 minute mile and run a 8:30 paced mile (for a 10k).
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    here is an 8 week "beginning to jog" conditioning program

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html