My weight loss journey

Options
I am a 32 year old married woman and I am in the best shape of my life right now. I have never in my adult life been this small or this strong.
When I was married, at 20 years old, in 2001 I weighed 252 pounds and was wearing a size 26. I was getting heartburn every time I ate or drank anything and had bottles of antacids with me everywhere I went. My husband and I lived a very unhealthy life: no exercise, plenty of high calorie alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, etc.), and huge quantities of high fat and high calorie food. Our normal lunch might consist of Sonic (drive up fast food place) and we would each get a super extra long chili cheese dog with the super extra large chili cheese tater tots (sometimes with ranch dressing drizzled on top), and a huge route 54 cherry Dr. Pepper (full sugar soda).
Soon after our wedding & honeymoon (I really hate the fat pictures from both) I started trying to diet because I was so uncomfortable in my body. I tried the low fat/low calorie approach, but couldn't stick with it because I was just too hungry! I felt like I was starving. Then sometime around 2002 I tried the Atkins diet and that worked for me. I lost 90 lbs by spring 2003. It was enough that I was able to start exercising some. However, our lives got stressful and I got lax (and a little bored maybe) with this diet and I gained and got back up to a little over 200 lbs.
Then sometime in 2006 my husband and I heard about a book called "Japanese Women don't get Old or Fat" and decided to try this style of eating. It was pretty much pescetarianism (vegetarians who eat fish & seafood). I lost a little weight with this change in eating. About 6 months later we changed our diet yet again. We cut out fish/seafood and eggs. It was then that I figured out that at some point I had developed an intolerance to eggs. What an eye opener that was and a major relief for my stomach. So being a lacto vegetarians I lost some more weight without really increasing my exercise.
Over the last 7 years I have steadily increased my physical activity and exercise and we are now eating a high protein almost vegan diet (some of our protein bars & shakes contain dairy and bee pollen products and the occasional dairy item in something from a restaurant).
My job is pretty active; I spend about half my 40 hours walking and lifting boxes (some of them pretty heavy). I also go the gym for at least an hour 6-7 days a week. The gym is on the campus where I work and so it is convenient to just go to the gym before I go home. I have a few fitness classes that I really like (step class, mat pilates, and strength endurance) otherwise I will do 30-45 mins on a recumbent bike or elliptical machine and then 15-45 mins of free weights or whatever core work I feel like that day. I am now between 125-130lbs. I wear size XS shirts and 4-6 in pants/skirts! My body fat % is usually between 20-23% and my muscle % is ranging between 33-34%.
I have muscle definition now and I feel healthy! But the best thing is that my husband finally found the motivation and the right diet/exercise plan to lose 175 lbs in a year! I'm so proud of him!
My journey has taken me from one extreme (morbidly obese & very unhealthy lifestyle) to the other extreme (close to athletic fit & very healthy lifestyle). I never want to go back and I hope my story helps motivate others who are still in the midst of their own journey!

Replies

• crysta1000
    crysta1000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and life style change. Keep up the good work!
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! I'm glad you were able to find a diet that worked for you.
  • Tymeria
    Tymeria Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you! I finally figured out how to add my pics. Both pics are me and my husband. Just before we got married and 12 years later.

Before_zps839f1511.jpg

After_zpsf91fc89f.jpg
  • mygreatgoal
    mygreatgoal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job! You both look like absolutely different people!!!
  • Tymeria
    Tymeria Posts: 8
    Options
    Before_zps839f1511.jpg

After_zpsf91fc89f.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!