anyone else who cant swim?

Options
Hi, I'm 21 next month & last time I went swimming was when I was like 7 through primary school.. I hated it & never done it since. Never had parents that's bothered about it. A gym I might be signing up to has swimming facilities, but idk if 21 is too old to learn?

Replies

• Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can never be to old! Years ago, my mom taught one of my grandmother's friends to dive - before then she was a wading/shallow-end lady. She wanted to impress the grandkids when they came to visit.

At the tiny community centre I go to - there are no adult learn to swim classes at the moment. I think the one guy must be 17 or 18, and the rest of the class is about 10 years old. I'm so impressed that he signed up!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Never too old to learn. (: Sometimes gyms will have adult swimming lessons, but you could also get a personal trainer, or ask a friend to help. What didn't you like about swimming as a child? Do you think you still feel that way?
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Of course its not too old, do they offer adult swimming lessons? Quite a few places do so you could always try somewhere else near by for some lessons?

I couldn't swim til I was 8, I then became very good and had comps. When I stopped swimming properly I have gradually got worse and now I am an awful swimmer!
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm limited to water activity for the most part, ( joint and disc disease), ask if they
    have water classes you might enjoy. And you could simply walk up and down the
    pool swinging your arms. The water resistance walking is really good for you.
    And you are never too old for swimming lessons! I see the instructors at my pool
    with people of all ages learning for the first time.
    Good Luck!
  • AmyC71
    AmyC71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely not too old! You should be able to find adult classes just about anywhere with a pool. I learned how to swim properly at 18 years old without ever having taken swim classes as a child. When I first started I could barely swim a lap without stopping, and was able to get up to a mile by the end of the summer. It feels really, really awkward at first, but if you get advice from experienced swimmers and practice regularly, you will have no problem learning how. Good luck and have fun!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You're never too old. I used to teach people of all ages from infants to senior citizens. Find an adult class offered in your area, either at a YMCA, Junior College, etc. Good luck!!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Agree with many fellow MFP'ers....never too old to learn to swim. There are a few reasons why--1-knowing how to swim may save your life someday or someone you love. and 2--it is such a great total body workout. When I swim laps for a cardio workout it is so much more than just exercising....it is so peaceful and I have only the thoughts in my head. I look forward to my swim days.

My mom who is 70 something learned last year. She wishes she did it earlier because she loves it! Now, go sign yourself up for those lessons and have fun!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 21 next month & last time I went swimming was when I was like 7 through primary school.. I hated it & never done it since. Never had parents that's bothered about it. A gym I might be signing up to has swimming facilities, but idk if 21 is too old to learn?

Never too old to learn, and as one of a very short list of mammals that has to learn to swim to be able to do it, I think knowing how to swim should be compulsory. (Honestly, not forced, just something everyone should want to know in order to save their own hides.)

Go, do it, it will be good for you. I'm 33 and going to be getting coaching so I can be less of a drunken narwhal in the water. If anyone should be embarassed...

:laugh:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Definitely not too old. I learnt to swim as a child, but hated it and never learnt properly. Last year, aged 34, I took a course of adult improver swimming lessons - now I swim lengths and love it.

My biggest regret is waiting until my 30s to do it.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Will be taking a course once I drop all this weight and not embarrassed to take my shirt off at the pool. I'm twice your age. If you take a class with adults you might find you are the youngest one by far.