Microwave egg oat cake (multiple flavor options)

Options
BarackMeLikeAHurricane
BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
Ingredients
1/4 cup oats
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup + 2tbsp (6 tbsp total) egg whites
1/2 Duncan Hines flavor creation packet (my favorite is cherry vanilla but you can use any flavor you want)
Sweetener of choice (I use a few spoonfuls of splenda)

Directions
Put ingredients in a large microwave safe bowl
Mix
Microwave for 4 minutes
Flip
Microwave for 3 more minutes
Let cool
Eat

Nutrition facts
Calories: 135
Carbs: 12.3g (12g net carbs)
Fats: 2.1g
Protein: 12.8g

Replies

• apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Very interesting recipe w/the oats and egg whites. I'm willing to give this one a try. Is it pretty filling? thanks!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Yep, it's definitely more filling than just oatmeal and it's pretty yummy. Macros are pretty good on it, too.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    Great, will be making this tomorrow for breakfast :)
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    sounds great, just don't like the sweetener part, but if I add sugar or honey, calorie total will go high.
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting! Thanks
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    sounds great, just don't like the sweetener part, but if I add sugar or honey, calorie total will go high.

just make it fit, no big deal
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I made this for breakfast today but think I messed up on the cooking time. Is it supposed to look like a "souffle"? When I was nuking it I noticed it pouffed up really nicely, this was about half-way into the first cooking time and I let it cook til 4minutes, per directions.
    By this time however, everything seemed to just flatten out and seemed over-cooked and crumbly. Should I have taken it out earlier? Seems like the cook time depends on the micrwave power/voltage. I'm hoping to try it again for better results. Thanks.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I made this for breakfast today but think I messed up on the cooking time. Is it supposed to look like a "souffle"? When I was nuking it I noticed it pouffed up really nicely, this was about half-way into the first cooking time and I let it cook til 4minutes, per directions.
    By this time however, everything seemed to just flatten out and seemed over-cooked and crumbly. Should I have taken it out earlier? Seems like the cook time depends on the micrwave power/voltage. I'm hoping to try it again for better results. Thanks.
    Did you add the almond milk? It gets over cooked looking if you leave it out. It's not exactly the most beautiful recipe but it ends up with a fluffy texture. Here's a picture of a half eaten one (didn't think to take the picture until after I started eating :laugh: )
    ada3b9e7aa0252493000a069117ad75c_zps3a3bb57f.jpg
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    You could always do stevia if you take issue with the artificial sweeteners.
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Never head of the flavor packets - do you get them at the regular grocery store?
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    cool thx!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Never head of the flavor packets - do you get them at the regular grocery store?
    Yup, in the baking aisle. They look like this
    4770d51f1ee20c3272525bc86248fdb2_zpsed25fcc5.jpg
    You just need the packet, not the icing.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    Did you add the almond milk? It gets over cooked looking if you leave it out. It's not exactly the most beautiful recipe but it ends up with a fluffy texture. Here's a picture of a half eaten one (didn't think to take the picture until after I started eating :laugh: )
    ada3b9e7aa0252493000a069117ad75c_zps3a3bb57f.jpg

Nope, mine was "crumbly" so i must've nuked it too long. I did add the almond milk but nxt time i'll take it out sooner from the microwave. Thanks for posting the picture!