Frustrated and need motivation

Options
Hi! I am at a breaking point. I have been watching what I eat and working out for 2.5 months and have gained 12 pounds. I have gone UP a size in pants (causing me to buy all new things for work this fall) and I am going crazy. What am I doing wrong?!?! I know I am not perfect and I splurge, but I track it. I have the app on my phone so it is always with me. I run 3 times a week (I am doing the couch to 5k plan). I do yoga once a week or so).

P.S. - here is a little history on me:
Weighed 175 at my wedding and my husband said I looked perfect (I am 5' 10" so any skinnier and I would have looked like a giraffe)
Got married, financial stress, marriage stress, and moved to close to a McDonald's.
Rapidly gained weight for 3 years landing me at 245 this spring. Now at 254 (I dropped two recently by some sort of miracle).

AHHHHHH!

Replies

• lharrington2
    Options
    I'd say try to work out daily. It is gard to say for someone else. I know what works for me, it just took awhile to figure it out.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    You need to make your food diary public, without being able to see it , it is hard to see what you are doing wrong
  • AGG115
    AGG115 Posts: 62
    Options
    Wow, I'd be so frustrated, too! I'm sure part of the gain is in muscle mass, but not all of it. Are you tracking your other nutrients as well as calories? I've just recently started losing fast after months of struggling and what I found was to get foods that are close to zero calories to eat. Mustard has no calories, so I put it on my sandwiches instead of mayo. Celery has no calories so I eat it instead of carrot sticks. Tea and coffee (nothing added) have no calories, so I'll have that instead of a chai, etc.

Message me and let me know some more details. I'd love to help you see some success!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    Are you measuring what you eat - with a scale, measure cups, etc? I know at first I wasn't doing this and just eyeballing portions, but when I started measuring I found out just how far off my eyeballs were. Turns out I was still eating FAR too much, even though my food diary said I was OK.
  • Mariettarose
    Options
    Without knowing what you're eating it's difficult to help. I know it was hard for me to find a balance on the number of calories. 1200 was in the starvation mode for me. Too low I gained...too high I gained...I felt like Goldilocks until I found the right numbers to work with and start losing, but now I'm working through metabolism issues and just trying to maintain until that's straightened out. Have you had a physical to know that your health is okay?
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    That sucks! I would visit your dr. to see if he/she can give you some insight in case it's something biological.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    for some people, macronutrients matter. for me, if i have too many carbs, i GAIN, even if i am sticking within my calories. i aim to eat less than 130 g carbs a day.

when i first started running last may, i lost nothing. my body was holding on to everything. when i stopped running in november, i had a sudden drop in the scale. now i can run and lose, but i think it was such a shock to my body when i began that it didn't want to release any weight.

another thing to consider is that you are over estimating your exercise calories and eating too much food. some people eat all, some eat half and some don't eat any. it is a game to try and figure out what works best for you.

last suggestion is a hormone imbalance. unexplained weight gain is usually a sign that something is not right in your body - pcos, insulin resistance, diabetes, thyroid, etc. have your doc do a blood panel.