Video Gaming Exercising

Options
Would anyone recommend or if you do it would using a wii with wii fit or an xbox 360 and kinect for an exercising method?

Replies

• Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    Haha Kinect is pretty physical. I swear it doesn't matter if you're playing Couch Potato Party or Magic the Gathering; you'll be doing push ups. Joking aside, I have Kinect and most games get your heart rate going pretty nicely. It doesn't have to be MMA Trainer or Dance Central either. You'll find arcade games like FRUIT NINJA to be tiring you out after some time. Of course it's about staying interested and motivated though. Doing lunges everyday on YOUR SHAPE can get a little boring.
  • neek247
    neek247 Posts: 46
    Options
    Haha Kinect is pretty physical. I swear it doesn't matter if you're playing Couch Potato Party or Magic the Gathering; you'll be doing push ups. Joking aside, I have Kinect and most games get your heart rate going pretty nicely. It doesn't have to be MMA Trainer or Dance Central either. You'll find arcade games like FRUIT NINJA to be tiring you out after some time. Of course it's about staying interested and motivated though. Doing lunges everyday on YOUR SHAPE can get a little boring.

I had a kinect before for my xbox 360 but the thing I lack is alot of room in my room lol
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

MMA Trainer is BRUTAL. Dance Central is way more fun & gets the heart pumping, especially if you are unco like me & have to practice the moves a billion times before you get it.
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    I got a Nyko Zoom attachment for my Kinect, it works pretty good! It shaves a few feet needed for the recommended amount of space. Highly recommended and many positive reviews.

The timing is not fashionable but DDR for the home console is great as well as Rock Band drums which was a very enjoyable gaming exercise for me.
  • neek247
    neek247 Posts: 46
    Options
    I got a Nyko Zoom attachment for my Kinect, it works pretty good! It shaves a few feet needed for the recommended amount of space. Highly recommended and many positive reviews.

The timing is not fashionable but DDR for the home console is great as well as Rock Band drums which was a very enjoyable gaming exercise for me.

I know of the zoom accessory but wouldnt it mess with the kinect lens?
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I LOVE video game exercising on those days when I don't feel like driving to the gym. I have a Wii, and I do Zumba 2, Michael Jackson: The Experience, and Just Dance 4. I know most people don't like the wii because you don't have to move your whole body to win on the game, but if you're doing it for exercise, you're going to do the full body dance because you want to burn calories. I love all three of those games and all three get my heart rate pumping.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have a Kinect and the wii with a bunch of workout games. I use them on my rest day just for something fun with a bit of movement. I personally wouldn't use them as my sole exercise routine.

If you were going to say buy a wii to use to workout I personally would recommend taking that money and buying a stationary bike or something like that.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had to use Wii fit all winter as we had snow on the ground for months. I lost a lot of weight during that time working out about and hour a day 5 days a week. All my money was going into my daughters wedding so no money for a gym so it worked!!
  • Papasmurf14
    Papasmurf14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I know of the zoom accessory but wouldnt it mess with the kinect lens?

I have the ZOOM and it doesn't effect the lens. Comes with a plastic overlay that protects it. I will say that to me it seems that the ZOOM lowers the accuracy of the camera which can sometimes get frustrating navigating through menus. Other than than works just fine.
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have Wii and I've been doing zumba,just dance 2 and Wii fit and I've been losing weight steadily. .. and not to mention its just plain fun...:tongue:
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I have a PS3 and Dance Dance Revolution which is pretty fun. I think the Wii, PS3, etc. are good if you hate most traditional exercise.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have Just Dance 4 for the Kinect! I have to move all my furniture but it's a great workout if you follow the moves exactly.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I lost about 8lbs using just the Kinect. I had Just Dance 3, Dance Central 1&2 and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012.

They're all great and loads of fun. If you can invest in a heart-rate monitor you can wear it while you play and get an accurate calorie burn.

Trust me, an hour on Dance Central goes by a lot faster than an hour at the gym ;)
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The Nike+ program for Kinect. Even if you do nothing else but the fitness test.
    It is as close to having your own crossfit trainer available 24/7 as you are going to get any time soon.
    And I like that it forces me to do stuff right (Although my dogs do confuse it at times), and gives me a bit of grief if I slack.

Also, Fruit Ninja. Sheer silly fruit chopping fun that will have you sore and tired the next day. I like to use it to wear little kids out....when I can get the adults to stop trying to hog all the turns.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My main forms of exercise since I had my son has been from games. :tongue:

Before my wii died (we are actually looking to buy one again), I used:

Wii fit - great for tracking, setting mini goals, and fun little games
    Golds Gym Cardio Workout - fun cardio boxing
    EA Sports Active 2.0 - similar to circuit training, uses a resistance band to help prevent lbm loss
    Just Dance - any game in the series gives a fun cardio workout
    Zumba - challenging, more so than just dance, and above all fun

Currently I use a Kinect and:

EA Sports Active 2.0 - I am using 5lb weights instead of a resistance band since I don't have to worry about the wii remote
    Dance Central - fun cardio workout
    Your Shape FE 2012 - Has a fun variety of workouts including a boot camp section and cardio boxing
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have Wii and I've been doing zumba,just dance 2 and Wii fit and I've been losing weight steadily. .. and not to mention its just plain fun...:tongue:

maybe i need to try zumba and just dance because i have the wii fit plus and those games just dont last long enough to keep your heart pumping and i can barely get a good workout
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I have the Wii and do Just Dance and My Fitness Coach.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I have the my fitness coach one, I like It because you pick how long you want to do a work out for and what areas you want to target.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The Kinect is how I initially started losing weight; I lost my first 25 lbs with it. I started with EA Sports Active II and then later began using The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout. I was able to find a gym membership with an extremely low cost, so that's where I primarily workout, but if I'm unable to go to the gym I will still use The Biggest Loser game.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Tell me of this MMA trainer.