Struggling to hit protein targets (without shakes)

Options

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    My husband bought a big box of microwavable pork rinds. They are actually pretty good and when they come out of the microwave they are still sizzling haha.

Microwave-Pork-Rinds.jpg

For every 60 calories you get 10 grams of protein and there are 3.5 servings per bag. So if you wanted to eat the whole bag for 210 calories you would get 35 grams of protein for a salty snack.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I like Ostrim Beef and Ostrich sticks. 15grams of Protein for 80 Calories.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I like whole eggs, although I do take out a yolk or two here and there if my fat for the day is high. (Lots of good stuff in yolks, though!)

I also eat a LOT of chicken. Like 2 chicken breasts for lunch and another for dinner. My breakfast cereal is high protein, and I use 2% milk. (If you can choke down skim milk, more power to you.)

If I exercise a lot, I treat myself with some Stonyfield Farms Oikos Nonfat Chocolate Greek Frozen Yogurt. It is the only diet chocolate ice cream I have found that tastes good. When I am out of that, I can tolerate their Caramel Greek Yogurt.

My husband eats a LOT of jerky. (He tried to kiss me awake this morning with bacon jerky on his breath. *gag* That did not go as he had hoped...) lol
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also, if it's just the shakes, you can get protein powder and add it to other foods too.
  • mrsroc2010
    mrsroc2010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump!!
    Terrific way to save the day.
    Thanks
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    extra lean turkey breasts, boneless chicken breasts, beans, chick peas, almonds, tuna, nonfat milk, peanut butter, hummus, eggs...
    just by adding a can of tuna to your day will bump you up a lot.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's really tough to hit the protein targets if you don't eat meat. Thank the lord for eggs & fish, or I'd be nowhere near it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I like to make turkey burgers. they are high in protein.

I sometimes brown some turkey sausage or reg ground turkey to add to my scrambled eggs (I don't care for the taste of plain eggs)

fish.

maybe you can make homemade granola bars and add protein powder to that.

check for protein fortified cereals.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt - 140 calories and 23 grams of protein in 1 cup. Snack on nuts, light cheese, and jerky. Add beans to your dinner whenever possible - e.g. if I am making rice or pasta, I will add peas and beans, or add them on top of a salad.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    If I'm going to end up short I'll just eat a can of tuna with a fork.
    How much protein is in a fork?? :wink:
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Also struggling! And also don't like shakes...

Thank you, Thank you, thank you ladies for all the great information!
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    great post - thanks!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My protein staples are:

Chicken/Turkey breast - throw a pound on the grill and chow down with some Sweet Baby Ray's. Yum. Or pile up a lot of turkey in between two pieces of bread, otherwise known as a turkey sandwich.
    Fish fillets
    A can of tuna
    The incredible, edible egg.
    Dairy goodness - Cottage cheese, string cheese, any other kind of cheese, milk, plain Greek yogurt.
    Of course I love peanut butter, but the protein is just not as good as the above sources.
    Sometimes almonds, but again, not the best protein ever.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Grab a big 10 ounce steak, season with salt and pepper, and cook t your liking. Boom! That's like 80g of protein.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Tuna, lean cuts of beef will get you there easily. Pair it up with a romain salad and you have a high protein, low cal / carb meal.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Sea food is low in cals high in protien :)
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You may want to switch brands of greek yogurt - yours only has 4g of protein a serving?? That's pretty low considering Fage has 17g a serving or thereabouts.
  • rori_74
    rori_74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to reach my protein targets as I've started strength training, plus I can see the health benefits. I've set my macros at a 40/30/30 ratio. Every day I'm about 40g short but everything recommended as a protein snack - peanut butter, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts etc still won't reach that target but will put me over in calories.

I'm generally not a wimp but I really hate shakes dating back to a childhood thing and the thought of a protein shake makes me gag. I can't afford bars and can't buy them near where I live anyway.

So do I keep plugging away at the protein target and not worry about the calories, or am I actually eating enough anyway and shouldn't stress it so much? I'm certainly not hungry except just before meals. The diary is open so any advice and support would be welcome.

Try Moringa Leaf Tea , it's 32 gm protein/cup and only 4 cal , it helped me to hit my protein target without going over my calorie
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to reach my protein targets as I've started strength training, plus I can see the health benefits. I've set my macros at a 40/30/30 ratio. Every day I'm about 40g short but everything recommended as a protein snack - peanut butter, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts etc still won't reach that target but will put me over in calories.

I'm generally not a wimp but I really hate shakes dating back to a childhood thing and the thought of a protein shake makes me gag. I can't afford bars and can't buy them near where I live anyway.

So do I keep plugging away at the protein target and not worry about the calories, or am I actually eating enough anyway and shouldn't stress it so much? I'm certainly not hungry except just before meals. The diary is open so any advice and support would be welcome.

peanut butter is a waste of time for trying to add in protein. it's high calories and not a lot of protein. Replace it with a filet of chicken or pork tenderloin, lean ground beef, fish
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I precook 5 pounds of chicken every weekend and divide into 4oz baggies then put some in the freezer and keep some in the fridge... easy/ quick protien.

Also tuna packets are easy to grab and so it greek yogurt.