Yet another Fitbit Question

Tubbs216
Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
Words of one syllable please, as if to a small and not very bright child.

I'm set to Sedentary on my Fitbit Dashboard and on MFP because I'm at a desk all day and don't go the gym or anything, even though I'm fairly 'busy'. If I walk the dog, or do some heavy-duty yard work, or even a little jog (if I ever work up to that...) should I add it as an exercise or not? The Fitbit automatically adds cals, so am I double-dipping if I manually add the exercise too?

(I promise I have searched for an answer to this, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.)

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    if you enter exercise on MFP it will ask you at what time you started (say jogging) and how long (say 30min) and it will consider this information when calculating the calories.

lets say you had a total of 1000 cals from fitbit steps
    MFP Log - 100 from jogging

MFP will give you 100 cals
    Fitbit will give you 900 cals
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    I'm curious about the answer to this; EmmieBaby - I'm really confused by your answer... sorry to be slow...
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    sorry for the confusion

what fitbit does is subtract from its total whatever you log on MFP. you wont double dip.

let me know if you are still confused and I will draw a chart =D
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    if you enter exercise on MFP it will ask you at what time you started (say jogging) and how long (say 30min) and it will consider this information when calculating the calories.

I thought you had to do something to the fitbit to mark the exercise period in order to do this?
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    bumping for later - I ordered a fitbit and am just waiting for it to arrive! Looking for all the info I can get on it.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member

lets say you had a total of 1000 cals from fitbit steps
    MFP Log - 100 from jogging

MFP will give you 100 cals
    Fitbit will give you 900 cals

Ok, that does help. Thanks! I was concerned about eating back those extra calories. Now realise that I'm probably consistently under-eating. Oops.

Thanks for your help.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I would not add those types of things separately. That is why you have the fitbit in the first place: to measure cals burned during daily activity.
  • yoshi586
    yoshi586 Posts: 2
    The best luck I have had with my fitbit is letting mvp and fitbit sync the calories and if i do extra exercises i add it to fitbit and not mvp