Letting yourself feel hungry

Options
It's a crazy concept right? Just 5 months ago, I can honestly say I never felt hungry. I ate in anticipation of hunger because I hated the feeling. When I was growing up and living with my mom, we rarely had enough to eat--I'm talking butter sandwiches (a slice of bread folded in half with a pat of margarine) for meals. I haven't been in that position in YEARS, but I realized it still had a hold on my mind; the fear of being hungry pushed me to overeat like crazy.

I would overfill my plate. I would order entirely TOO much. It was crazy.

Don't get me wrong. I am definitely at fault for gaining so much weight. I would drive by McDonald's and make myself believe I was hungry just so I could stop and get some nuggets and a sweet tea. I remember last summer, the last time I "tried" to lose weight, I drove past McDonald's and CRIED because I wanted to stop and get something so badly but I couldn't because I was trying to lose!

It's crazy the power food has over us. Well, the power we give it.

Now, if I think I'm hungry and I'm like the ravenous Hungry Hungry Hippo, I make myself wait. I won't allow myself to mindlessly eat the first thing I see. I make my mind really determine if I really am hungry or if I'm just craving. I make myself plan what I'm going to eat.

I know.. Crazy.

But it's necessary (for me at least). Getting over that fear of being hungry. Getting over the fear of not knowing when I can eat again. It's a constant process. But I feel good! I feel hungry!!!

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry right now but going to lunch in 45 minutes - thank you I need inspiration just to wait it out!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! :)
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle for me to do that. If I should drive by a food place and it was somewhat close to lunch, then i would stop. Knowing that I have good for me food 20 min away at home, helps some. But it is still hard to retrain your brain to wait a few minutes.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    2yv2ozs.png
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Very well said and I think true for many of us. We do allow food to have power over us - success comes when we take power over the food. Thank you for posting!
  • gph61
    gph61 Posts: 3
    Options
    I sort of enjoy feeling hungry because it means I am working on the program but I do drink a bottle of water if I think about the hunger. I have bottles all over the house and in the car!
  • davescullion
    davescullion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry NOW but I'll wait another 70 mins till dinner time, the nothing till breakfast tomorrow, no calories left for today lol
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find that if I feel hungry at least once a day and don't overreact to that feeling by over eating then I lose weight. I think it's healthy to feel hungry once in a while. That is something new I've learned in the last 6 months or so. It's okay to feel hungry.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The way people deal with hunger is ultimately what decides their success or failure in weight loss. I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is that being hungry is not a license to treat others badly; they are not responsible for you being on a diet nor the fact that you let yourself get overweight. Be aware of how you treat others during your weight loss journey.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    I know the feeling! After a run yesterday driving home we passed so many fast food places and I started calling out my favorite items. My fellow MFPer boyfriend was laughing ...

Me: Mcnuggets, curley fries, 1/2 chicken dinner with fries and Chalet sauce, Whopper, Baconater ...... footlong ham on wheat with white chedder ....

Him: STOP! *laughing*
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    -Number10mediumfrylargesweetteabarbecueandsweetandsour
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Interesting experience. My experience is the opposite. I now intermittent fast every day, eat only 2 large meals (sometimes only 1) and I NEVER struggle with hunger. I'm losing weight and I'm the healthiest that I have been in my entire life. However, for me, it's all about WHAT I eat, not how much and/or when.

However, prior to changing what I eat, I was diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and could never feel full. No amount of will power, eating mini meals, filling up on water/giant salads ever worked for me. Trying to just ignore the hunger just led to even bigger binges later on. Why was I struggling so much? I was over-eating but I was malnourished; true story.

I drink the water I need, no more no less, and I eat the food I need. I really think this "fill up on water" instead of eating is NOT good advice for most people.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm usually really good.. Unless i'm not feeling well like today.. I feel like I have a cold.. and I'm starving.. I can never eat enough whenI have a cold. I just ate a ton and I want more.. I have nothing more to eat though and I don't need it. I feel bloated. It's a crappy day nutrition wise. but I'll get through it. I hate feelign hungry. I've been the same place as you.. where i had no food to eat in the house. I'm not pleasant to be around when i'm hunry.. I smell and early lunch in my future.. lol
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's a crazy concept right? Just 5 months ago, I can honestly say I never felt hungry. I ate in anticipation of hunger because I hated the feeling. When I was growing up and living with my mom, we rarely had enough to eat--I'm talking butter sandwiches (a slice of bread folded in half with a pat of margarine) for meals. I haven't been in that position in YEARS, but I realized it still had a hold on my mind; the fear of being hungry pushed me to overeat like crazy.

I would overfill my plate. I would order entirely TOO much. It was crazy.

Don't get me wrong. I am definitely at fault for gaining so much weight. I would drive by McDonald's and make myself believe I was hungry just so I could stop and get some nuggets and a sweet tea. I remember last summer, the last time I "tried" to lose weight, I drove past McDonald's and CRIED because I wanted to stop and get something so badly but I couldn't because I was trying to lose!

It's crazy the power food has over us. Well, the power we give it.

Now, if I think I'm hungry and I'm like the ravenous Hungry Hungry Hippo, I make myself wait. I won't allow myself to mindlessly eat the first thing I see. I make my mind really determine if I really am hungry or if I'm just craving. I make myself plan what I'm going to eat.

I know.. Crazy.

But it's necessary (for me at least). Getting over that fear of being hungry. Getting over the fear of not knowing when I can eat again. It's a constant process. But I feel good! I feel hungry!!!

I love this^^^^^ I'm going to try this. Also, I need to realize that hunger pain is not going to kill me. I need to be ok with being uncomfortable sometimes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I know.. Crazy.

Not crazy at all IMO. I think this is exactly what everyone should strive for. To really understand your body and be able to eventually feed it properly without any tool other than your mind. I think you are on the right track.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have to say that 4 months into my journey a lot of my hunger has disappeared. Sure I get hungry sometimes but often I eat because I know I need to not because I am actually hungry. On a day that I am going to play golf I really struggle to eat enough before playing since on a typical day most of my calories are consumed after 4 PM.
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What works for me is water, when ever I am hungry I drink water and I feel good. What I learned that often our body get confused with whether its hungry or just thirsty.
  • Vness813
    Vness813 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've read that sometimes dehydration can make you feel like you're hungry when your body is really needing fluids. So, when I'm feeling hungry I stop to think about how much water I have had so far or if I've been active enough to need more than usual. I then try drinking water first to see if my hunger subsides. If not, then I eat something.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I agree with dehydration and malnutrition. I've heard more than once that your body will keep producing that "hungry" feeling when it's deprived of nutrients so no matter how man fries or burgers you eat, until you eat something nutritious you'll be hungry.

Also, I've personally experienced the thirst thing. I would like to think I'm smart enough to know the difference between hungry and thirsty but apparently not!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    -Number10mediumfrylargesweetteabarbecueandsweetandsour

Dayum, know me too well! Except I get an Unsweetened Tea!!

And I don't know where the Congrats came from - on my Blackberry, ugh.