high calorie - low carb foods needed....any help?

Options
mem50
mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
My Dr. Just informed me today that I need to keep my carb levels between 60 and 100 a day to control sugar levels.

I just did my diary with what I normally eat in a day and came up with 96 carbs...but way under in calories.

I can use all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Up your fat intake. Also, check out my diary if you'd like.
  • mjhooperii
    mjhooperii Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lean meats like turkey and chicken and most fish are great since they are protein packed and contain virtually no carbs. Eggs are a good source of fat / protein and adding some natural fats (butters, oil) can add calories without carbs as well.
  • Sarahcuda
    Sarahcuda Posts: 76
    Options
    Meats, cheese, high fat dairy, no added sugars, watch the fruits (ohh bananas and strawberries... I hope I can eat you again!), and no starchy veggies!

:)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so it's hard to make suggestions as to what changes can be made to "what you normally eat" Definitely follow the advice to up your fats - it'll help you feel much more satisfied. Fruits, legumes, starchy vegetables and grains will need to be restricted. Full-fat dairy has fewer carbs than reduced-fat dairy, but milk and yogurt can still be pretty carb-heavy. Switching to unsweetened almond/coconut/soy milk can help there and there are a few yogurt brands(Carbmaster is my fav) that aren't packed with sugar. Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables, meat, cheese and nuts (watch the serving size to limit carbs) are your friends.

My diary is open
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    can you open your diary so we can see what you normally eat?

otherwise, as others say - stick with meat/chicken/fish, serve with salad and cooked/roasted veg, have dairy (yogurt, cheese), eggs.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do lean meats. As a diabetic needing lower carbs and higher fats you can choose the fattier cuts of meat.

Heavy cream is great in your coffee. Whip up some of that heavy cream to go on berries.

Nuts.
    Avocados
    mayo
    Olive oil
    Butter
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Diary is now open...my bad I thought the darn thing was. :(