Keeping clothes around that are too small... waste of time?

Options

Replies

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Kept some too small clothes once :happy:

By the time I tried them on again, they were too big :noway:

Waste of money and space.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have my 'skinny' clothes and they are in a progression of getting smaller so I can put them on and be like 'hellz yaaaaaaaay' when they fit. Obviously some of the stuff like tee shirts I won't wear again I'm going to donate. I would suggest keeping them because then you can hang them on your wall or something and look at tehm and they can motivate you to get to that place where you can fit.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not motivated by smaller clothes, so I would send them back, but if you feel it motivates you to work out or avoid the extra slice of cake, hold onto them. I'm motivated more by progress - how loose my current clothes are fitting - rather than the end goal.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Keep them, I have gone through 5 sizes of my smaller clothes with 2 to go. I refuse to buy clothes till I have used up those last 2 sizes. Why buy clothes when I drop a size so often? Besides it is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment each time.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of stuff from when I weighed less, but it did nothing but annoy me by taking up space. I threw most of it out... Though it was rather inspiring to comfortably fit into something that I had that was way too small when it was bought.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to be a US size 3/5 and ballooned up to a 12 and was pushing 14 but refused to buy 14's (no offense to anyone for which a 12 is your small size, I'm short and petite so that was huge on me) and that was when I decided to make a change and start losing weight. I kept all of my small clothes and I'm wearing a pair of my transitional size 7 Levi's jeans right now!! :laugh:

I try not to buy fad styles anyway; the things I buy are normally timeless, style-wise, so the Capri pants I wore ten years ago when I was a size 5 will still look good when I fit back into them after I lose another 10+ pounds. Heck, if you save something long enough, it may even come back in style! Although I refuse to buy into the retro-80s style neon clothes that I am starting to see on the clothing racks in my local dept store. Blech!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the "too small" clothes work as great motivation! However, the clothes you may have outgrown need to be ditched! That's the rules I've been going by. I don't need motivation to gain weight. lol ...I've even kept some clothes from my skinnier days (10 yrs ago) to gauge my progress when that time may come. :-) Best of luck!
  • TomTomsMom11
    TomTomsMom11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also say keep them, especially if they aren't many,many sizes too small and something that's not a fad. I like the idea of using them as motivation & a gauge. Keep working and you'll soon have a NSV to post! I've gone through my closet a couple of times and I just keep things that are too small if I really, really like them and they have more classic styling that I will actually wear later.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would keep them. I bought a "someday" dress for when I lost some inches. I tried it on every few weeks to see my progress. I tried it on this last time (on Saturday), and it was too big!!
    I kept a pair of smaller jeans to rank my progress. I could not get them past my thighs 6 months ago, now they fit and button, no muffin top.
    I say keep them!
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me it works to keep them! When I went from a pants size 14 to a 10 in March I was thrilled. They also had the same pants in white but I thought if I wanted to wear white skinny jeans I would want them to be smaller so I bought a size 8. Almost returned them because I had doubts that I'd get to an 8 - EVER. Now I wear them like a badge of honor!
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep them. My DD bought me some clothes that fit and some a size to a couple of sizes too small and I am feeling motivated to get into them. I still have a pair of jeans that are over 20years old. I just loved the fit of them when I wore them and just have never been able to throw them out. LOL they are probably fashionable now, so I am looking forward to wearing them next year.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Waste of time for me-- by the time I tried to wear them, they were too big.

Ha! That happened to me a few times too! Both enjoyable (yay inches lost!) But a tad annoying too...

So, if you're gonna keep them then remember you have them!!

I've been operating on having smaller clothes since I lost my first dress size. I'd always been going up dress sizes, never down, so I felt like this time I had faith that I could actually lose weight.

I wish I'd kept all the smaller clothes I used to have years ago! Would make things considerably cheaper right now! T-shirts are ok a few sizes bigger but jeans not so much I find.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I still have a few clothes from my skinny days.They look like doll clothes compared to the size I wear now.I have one size 26 inch skirt hanging up in plain view for whenever I'm tempted to be bad.... I look at that skirt lol.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'd keep them! I have a closet full of gorgeous clothes of which most I have never worn...there will be some great satisfaction and celebrating when I can fit into those hot summer dresses!
  • ajoyt
    ajoyt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I totally do the same thing! I just bought a dress that is too small but I love. I know at some point I'll fit in it because I used to fit in that size :) Gives me something to look forward to!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Absolutely keep them for motivation!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Waste of time for me-- by the time I tried to wear them, they were too big.

I know it sounds a bit cocky, but I am in the same boat. I saved all my skinny clothes from before I got fat (jeans mostly) and when I got around to trying them back on I was already a size too small for them.
  • Librariangetsfit
    Librariangetsfit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you try them on sooner than you think you will fit into them, I lost out on wearing some cute things in my closet because they are now too big.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If they motivate you, then awesome, keep them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, I buy what will fit me now because I have never been as small as I am now. I have never fit into a medium or a size 11 pair of jeans so for me that is awesome. I know I have more to lose, and once I do, I know my sizes will keep going down for the most part. Recently my husband bought me a size 12 dress, and it was too big on me except in the tummy :grumble: but that was after wearing size 22 or 24 dresses.

ETA: my husband and my son have more clothes then I do to wear :laugh: