No time to eat my calories for the day

Options
I seem to run out of time during the day to get food in. This has been happening alot.

I am busy at work, busy when I get home from work, go to the gym after doing things at home and then its 10pm before I know it and I still have 700 calories left to eat and no time to eat it before bed, much less feeling like eating it.

I eat when I'm hungry and snack at work if I get the grumblies. I just can't seem to get my calorie numbers up.

Any one else seem like they run out of time?? Its been happening more times than not and I'm worried I'm not going to be as healthy as I am trying to be. I tried adding in some trail mixes and bigger helpings of things but I still end up short and not enough time to get it all in before I crash for the night.

My biggest fail is not eating dinner. I get so busy at home doing things, and then I need to get to the gym but can't eat before hand because I get nauseous so I tell myself I'll eat after. So after comes and I am not hungry or its so late when the hungries do hit that I just have a small snack of something before bed because I don't like the feeling of fullness before bed.

<SIGH>

I wish I could work out in the morning but I go to work too early to get up even earlier to get to the gym and get ready for work. Its just not an option for me.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me because I love to eat. My biggest issue is I can only eat 2500 calories in day. But what you can do is eat higher calorie foods throughout the day or start bring stuff like high calorie protein bars while you are on the run (that is what I do on weekends). If you making fueling your body a priority, then you will get enough calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Plan your day better and stock your fridge with easy to grab, high calorie snacks. I always have some pre-made protein shakes, cheese sticks, and apples & peanut butter pre-measured in my fridge. Beside my front door is a box next to my keys full of protein bars and pre-measured portions of trail mix, nuts, whatever. I find an hour on my weekends to prep everything so I can just grab snacks on my way out the door.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It doesn't happen to me because I love to eat. My biggest issue is I can only eat 2500 calories in day. But what you can do is eat higher calorie foods throughout the day or start bring stuff like high calorie protein bars while you are on the run (that is what I do on weekends). If you making fueling your body a priority, then you will get enough calories.

^ Yup.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    you should eat protein post workout and a protein bar is almost 300 cals. boom a bit right there. Have 1/4 of nuts that's about 300 right there. boom. add in 1 yogurt 100 cals right there boom done. you need to fuel your body and it doesn't matter how late it is (unless you get bad stomach eating late). You can add a yogurt to a smoothie. Keep nuts or trail ix in zip lock bags in your purse. Have a fiber 1 bar. You can add things to your meals like put hummus on a sandwich or avocado. Drink a glass of milk of any kind (cow, almond, soy) or a bowl of cereal.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've had days like this. There was a super busy day last week where I only logged 700 calories! By the time I got home, I was too tired to eat. I have to push myself to eat, between working full time and then rushing home to care for 2 kids, breastfeed, pump, cook and clean.

So I have to plan out my day and pack healthy foods/snacks with me. I carry a bag of trail mix, protein bars, and other goodies with me. I have to plan high calories snacks, it seems, on super busy days where I know I will not be able to eat dinner. I also have protein mix at home for days when I know I will need some extra help (because there are days when I feel too tired to even chew!).

Remember that you just aren't trying to rack up calories, but also nutritious foods to sustain your body.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you aren't dropping weight too fast (more than 1 lb per week) and you don't feel run down, it's not a problem. You can try drinking or calories if that's more convenient.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Plan out your day ahead of time and eat snacks that are higher in cals to help get your numbers up. When I would get home too late from working out, or was hungry and dinner wasn't ready yet, I'd drink a chocolate milk *you could do plain if that's what you like, I can't drink plain milk* and eat some sort of nuts. A quick way to get the protein you need after a workout and get some extra calories in!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    PBJ
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to eat, why are you going to the gym? No fuel, no build.

Oh and btw, cat looks like he's really high. js :) carry on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Better planning...

Having a very low calorie day here and there isn't a big deal, but when it becomes routine you can have problems...the biggest of which is not getting your proper nutrition. No way you can get all of your vitamins and minerals and essential fats and proteins in 700 calories; just not healthy.

Just plan better...
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Grab a can of mixed nuts and snack on them at work or wherever. That would be one easy way to get in those extra 700 calories since they're pretty calorie dense.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more to get more calories. As others have suggested, focus on eating more calorie dense foods. Or don't eat the same calories each day. Eat high some days and low other days so that the average meets your goal.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps if I plan out my meals the day before and cook what needs to be cooked the night before. If I don't plan ahead, I either under eat or over eat. Also take a look at the food you're eating: nutrient- versus energy-dense foods. Fat isn't your enemy. It'll help hold you over, and so will protein.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    700 calories is nothing, you can hit that in a protein shake, 2 scoops protein, peanut butter and whole milk maybe some honey if you ave carbs left
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You need to plan better.

Add in some protein shakes - pack one in a cooler and drink it as you're leaving the gym. Take higher calorie snacks to work with you. Start a meal in the crockpot so it's ready when you get home.

It's all about planning. And if you want results, you'll make planning a priority.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to eat, why are you going to the gym? No fuel, no build.

Oh and btw, cat looks like he's really high. js :) carry on.

Well I am trying to establish a gym habit since I've never been before and I don't mean to eat so low. I am alloting myself 1500 calories a day but when I don't even hit that and THEN get to the gym and burn 400 calories I know I am at a deficit. I am NOT trying to do this. It just seems to sneak up on me that before the day is through my count is low. Seems Summer is the worst since I have a lot going on after work and then try to fit a session at the gym. There just isnt enough hours in the day!

I will try to plan better. I do plan now, but then there are times I get busy at work (I'm in customer service and can't exactly ask a customer to wait while I snarf down a handful of nuts lol). There are times I just push myself at the gym and don't realize how much I am burning and then come home to find out I need to eat a lot to make up for it but its too late or I'm too tired or I'm just not hungry.

Thank you for all your input. Lots of great information! Glad you're all here!!!
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Were you this busy before and gained weight with this type of schedule?
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Were you this busy before and gained weight with this type of schedule?

Yup but I made bad food choices and I rarely exercised. Easy to get over 700 calories in one meal with fast food versus eating healthy. I easily could eat 2000 a day without blinking an eye because I could use the drive thru for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not so when you're watching what you eat and trying to do the right thing. I don't do drive thrus anymore, bring my own lunch and cook my own dinners. When I don't have time to cook, I just don't eat (where before I could have just grabbed a burger and fries and scarfed it on the way home from work before getting busy).
    I'm trying to figure things out and with y'alls help...I've got some good ideas to implement.

So if I eat at 10pm..it won't make me gain? I just find that strange to be able to eat that late and still lose.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just find a little more calorie dense food than what you eat now. Eat anytime of day that you want.

I went from fat free cottage cheese to full fat to help increase calories. Start with small things and go up until you feel comfy.