Group Fitness Classes?

Options
Hi,

I just started doing group fitness classes at my gym. The classes are included with membership and so I thought I would take advantage of what they offer. I need to change things up a bit since working out on the hamster machines get old. I have been doing yoga twice a week for the posture and stretching benefits and it will make me stronger. Also did the Combat Class which is basically cardio kickboxing. That was a trip! So hard but so awesome at the same time. I am stil very sore. My body was basically shocked because I did something new for a change. I want to try another class called Body Pump which is light weight training circuits. And another class called Intervalls including Glutes and Abs. I feel excited to go to the gym everyday now! I am not big on Zumba though. If I can make it to the gym in time after work tonight I am hoping to try the Body Pump Class!

Anyone else that is big on going to group fitness classes?

Tonya

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Spin class! I lost 70lbs in 7 months due to two 1 hour spin classes a week with no dieting. Of course, if you want these results, you have to work for them; I easily burned over 700 calories a class.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes, I almost exclusively do group classes. I do step, body sculpting, and at least two high intensity pool classes. Next time they run slide or bosu ball I'm going to swing in those too. I also did a 5K training program in a group setting. I far prefer it to the treadmills, I meet new people and it keeps me motivated to do best and not quit 'just a few minutes early'.

If you would have told me a year ago that I would be willing to look crazy in front of all those people (sometimes, I miss a step or two!) I would have never thought it was true.
  • aquavitae30
    Options
    Yes, I do the classes almost exclusively! I love them and they definately give you a workout. I do Turbokick (which is the cardio kickboxing), Zumba, yoga, step, and Lift (which is being replaced by Bodypump). I have not tried Body pump yet, but I love the Lift class. It's nice to have a strength training class, especially since most of the classes are more focused on cardio. All those classes are such a bargain, I only joined the gym for the classes. :)
  • katiejo33
    Options
    Try the Spinning class; it will kick your butt!!! I love it and go twice a week. My legs are in constant sore-mode from being worked so hard! Just beware, it's addicting! I get upset if I have to miss a class now.
  • givingmyall
    Options
    I did the Body Pump class after work tonight. It was a great workout! It is a full body workout that really burns! I am hoping I can make both classes each week along with my yoga classes and also the cardio kickboxing. Keeping this up I am definitely going to see some results. I need to check out a cycle class too! The class setting is much more motivating and fun, even if I look a little silly while getting used to everything. I am super sore all over!
  • mountainsgirl
    mountainsgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a huge fan of group fitness classes! At my gym we have the Les Mills programs - Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Balance, RPM (similar to Spin), Body Step and Body Vive. We have a few others too, but they are the main ones I do. Combat is my favourite.

If I'm feeling like a laugh and a fun workout I'll do an Aqua class and then swim laps afterward to supplement it.

I really need the structure of the Group Fitness classes, and the extra motivation of an instructor out the front, urging me on. Plus it's become quite a social thing over the last couple of years.

I must work out all the calorie burns for those specific classes, as they're not in the database...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I do classes 6 days a week...body bar,spin, zumba and sometimes aerobics. I love the classes,they boost my motivation and Ive met some lovely people going to them :)
  • givingmyall
    Options
    They have incorporated the Les Mills into our group classes too. I love them! Body Combat is awesome. Lots of punching and kicking and such!