Medifast

Options
2»

Replies

• OrionG
    OrionG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    HI Joy,
    Thanks for the candid feedback on your experience. And you're not alone; I've heard similar from a few other people. It seems to be very black and white. Either you do very good and very bad...seems to be little middle ground. I'm thinking now more about using some of the "food" to add extra protein into my diet, as opposed to using it exclusively. My normal mantenance calorie intake is supposed to be about 2400/day but have put myself on a 1600/day limit, which is about a 33% drop. To cut that in half for Medifast...not sure that seems healthy for me.

Orion.

Hi Orion,

Here is a link with a "Roadmap" process that I have begun following as of last week. I not only feel more satisfied with my daily calorie intake (and should as I consume up to 2027 per day!) but I have noticed a huge increase in performance in my workouts. Just make sure to read it carefully and follow all calculations to the T. Good luck, and you may find that you enjoy the addition of the medifast meals or you might find you don't. It is all relevant to the individual's tastes and reactions. I can say that was a scary experience for me, however.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Excellent. Thanks, Joy. I'll take a good look at it. And I agree on the Medifast; its a hit or miss proposition. I'll probably order some bars and see what shakes out.
  • OrionG
    OrionG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both did the Medifast plan last year. We stayed on it for 8 months and it worked, but much more slowly after the first quarter, while we were on it. I never cheated and lost 49 1/2 pounds in the first 6 months (damn last half a pound!). The major problem for me not finding this program sustainable is that my prepackaged food choices were SO limited. There is not that much variety to begin with, but throw in my counselor limiting me to only liquid choices (drinks and soups), my lactose intolerance and my dislikes, and well...I pretty much drank the same tired meals each day and got frustrated and bored with two raspberry teas, two peach teas and one broth based soup every single day. My husband had more choices, but still, he got bored as well. Also, we were quite disappointed with how fast the weight comes back--we gained it ALL back within 7 weeks; it seemed dangerous to us.

I sincerely believe if you are able to lose all of the weight you want within 6 months, you can do well on the Medifast program. However, if you are looking for a more long-term plan, you may consider a life style change as opposed to a diet plan.

The body has a set point when it comes to weight, and though it can change, it doesnt always do so quickly, or persist. Thats one thing I was thinking about with plans that drop weight quickly....will this set point adjust and fix, or will it not. The body, if it thinks its in a lack of food domain, will not lower this set point, which means that as soon as more cal's are available, the weight goes back to the original set point.