Eat more avocados? No problem!

Options

Replies

• FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    On a turkey burger!!! Soooooo good!

Love it on chicken sandwiches, turkey sandwiches. Over chicken and spanish rice...with a dallop of light sour cream. Heaven!
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has an avocado section. Some good ideas. I put it on everything or eat it plain!
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I made some pasta salad last week where I switched out mashed up avocados instead of mayo, it was delicious. I just find myself getting bored with sliced avocados on everything. Maybe I'll make some guacamole tonight!
    I often switch out mayo with avocado. I LOVE avocado lol and the richness works well in place of mayo. Like I'll use it as a spread on sandwiches and I'll mix it up in deviled eggs. I also slice it onto salads and put it on top of garlic olive oil noodles with a little parm cheese. Avocado and mango with grilled chicken or shrimp, avocado and squash soup, and sushi of course!! I even found a recipe for avocado fries lol. They're lightly breaded and fried in oil and are absolutely delicious! And of course guacamole, which can be used for all kinds of other things besides chip dip lol.
  • baked1potato
    baked1potato Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eat it with a spoon right from the skin with the little bit of soy sauce.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Avocados are really good in smoothies. They give a great creamy texture with not a lot of flavor changes. It's great with just vanilla yogurt or protein powder and avocado, too. A banana makes it even sweeter.

Avocado and strawberry smoothie with almond milk--yummmmmm
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Avocado + a juicy tomato + kidney beans (or black beans) + onion + some crushed black pepper = great by itself... or great on a wrap... or great over a bed of salad greens.. or great with a few baked tostitos scoops...
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You can add them to anything- it gives whatever you're eating a wonderful buttery smoothness. Last thing I did with avocadoes is add them to a bowl of homemade chili I made in my crockpot. OMG, delish!!!

-Kendra
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat them every possible way there is but i really like them alone with garlic salt
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Peel
    Slice
    Salt
    Eat
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Options
    Chicken avocado pita pizza

for one pizza
    1 or 2 roma tomatoes (depends on the size of your pita)
    mozzarella cheese
    1 chicken breast
    1/2 an avocado
    olive oil
    pepper
    salt
    1 piece pita bread

-quarter tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper to taste. Bake in the over at 350 for 15 minutes. When they are done mash lightly with a fork this will make your pizza sauce.
    -boil and shred chicken breast
    -slice avocado
    -brush some olive oil on the pita bread
    -put mashed tomatoes on it then put the avocado slices and chicken over the tomatoes
    -put cheese on top
    -bake at 350 til cheese is melty.
  • amandahelton
    Options
    BUMP!!! I need to come back to this one for these awesome recipes!!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this yet, but it looks AWESOME, so I figured I'd offer it up to you :)http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/stovetop-avocado-mac-and-cheese/

The avocados I can buy in the stores tend to be such crap that I've taken to ordering them online from an avocado ranch in California, and I'm so happy to have awesome tasting fresh avocados again! I keep planning on trying the recipe, but then I just grab the avocado and slather it on a sandwich or just eat it in my salads <g>
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    looooooovvvvve avocados.... salad of jicama, avocado, lime and spices. great mashed on the side with salsa for a veggie burger.... had an amazing omlette with some sort of mexican creamy cheese, fresh avocado, tomato and spices on a trip a few weeks ago..BEST omlette i've ever had!
  • laceylucas86
    laceylucas86 Posts: 120
    Options
    No Mayo Coleslaw with a Zip

3 cups shredded cabbage
    2 cups shredded cabbage (or one bag ready coleslaw mix)
    1 large avocado, ripe
    1/2 greek plain yogurt
    1 tbs honey
    1tbs rice vinegar
    1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
    salt and pepper.

Puree everything except veggies and jalapeno in a blender or magic bullet, you may need a few tbs of water to thin out the sauce if it's too thick. Toss sauce, veggies and jalapeno to coat. Let rest in fridge 1 hour before eating, keeps for 2 days. Really good creamy coleslaw! it's awesome, the vinegar keeps it from browning.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Favorite breakfast right now: 1/4 could up to 1/2 an avacado spread on a slice of toast with an egg on top of that. Eat with fork = YUMMO!!
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    2 avocados, diced
    1 can rinsed black beans
    1/2 c finely diced red onion
    juice of one lime
    salt and pepper

Yummy with tortilla chips or alone
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor specifically say "eat avocados" or did they suggest avocados as one way to increase your HDL? There are plenty of other foods out there that you could eat as well to hit your HDL targets - like nuts, olive oil (salads/cooking), oatmeal.... there are plenty of lists out there of foods that will help you raise HDL! :)

One of my newest favorite avocado meals is an egg baked in the middle of an avocado half. You have to spoon out a little of the avocado to get the egg to fit. You can use the whole egg or just the egg white to make it healthier (and cut down on bad cholesterol). Keep the avocado in the skin. prop it up with tin foil (so the egg doesn't drip out) on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425 and cook for 15-20 minutes until the desired egg doneness. The warm avocado is to die for!
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump! For ideas...love avocados (when I can get decent ones) and some of these ideas sound winderful!!!
  • bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    These: http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/11/black-bean-avocado-chocolate-chip-fudge-brownies-gluten-free-low-fat/

and

This: http://chefchloe.com/entrees/avocado-pesto-pasta.html

I also love eating them with black pepper and like someone said mashed on toast with an egg on top :)