Health and Money Diet

Options
I've got the dual task of not only trying to bring healthier foods into my diet, but at the same time I'm having trouble scraping together enough money to buy any groceries. How does a person eat healthy when 1) on a limited budget and 2) I have a problem with my teeth/jawbone/gums that make chewing hard stuff (like almonds) impossible and chewing anything sticky (like caramel) or rough (like veggies can be at times) is really awkward at best and painful/possibly damaging to the area at worst?

Replies

• kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Maybe buying fresh fruits/veggies and making smoothies with them???
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Shop Farmers Markets, they are way cheaper than grocery stores.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies are usually less expensive (in my experience) than their fresh counterparts, but they do have a lot of sodium, so make sure to rinse them before you eat them if you go that route. Beans and lentils are a great source of fiber and protein (pair beans and rice to make sure you're getting all the essential amino acids, because beans themselves aren't complete proteins), and they're cheap (even more so if you buy the dried ones and take the extra time to throw 'em in a pot of water before you go to bed so they're ready to cook). I also love carrots because they're cheap--maybe you could try looking for recipes used to "hide" veggies in food, because those usually involve cooking them so they're not crunchy or rough. Pasta sauce and veggie soup are my two ways to use almost any vegetable, and they both involve cooking everything down until it's soft.

Great job for going ahead with this even on a restricted budget.
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You could always plant a garden and grow your own. Seeds and starter plants aren't that much just costs time and effort to keep it up. As far as having problems with chewing hard textures....try steaming your veggies to soften them.

Hope this helps ;)
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the cheaper veggies, like broccoli and carrots rather than bell peppers.

And only drink water and skim milk so you don't spend any money on low cal drinks or diet sodas.

I find that alot of "diet" snacks (the 100 cal packages) are expensive too. But apples are cheaper and are usually around 100 cals too. If you have a costco they sell a big box of Thinaddictives for 7 dollars and there are prolly 20 packages of 100 calorie "cookies".

Applesauce slightly heated with cinnamon makes a tasty dessert for low cal and minimal cost.

Beans and fat free cottage cheese are good sources of protein and don't cost too much. (BTW cottage cheese and apples is good together)

Maybe check the frozen isle for cheaper bags of frozen veggies rather than fresh?

Deffinately steam the veggies so that they are softer to chew :wink:

Good luck!
  • kelhar
    kelhar Posts: 7
    Options
    I second the smoothie idea. And throw in the possibility of frozen veggies - they tend to have fewer preservatives than canned. There are also the recipes for baked things using pureed veggies - Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a cookbook. I'm sure there are others too.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I just moved to a new city and have been on a tight budget as well until I start my new job. Here's what I've found has worked well for my boyfriend and I-

1-We're lucky because we have a Costco below our apartment building!This is good for certain things, but I think the savings we get on the things we can buy at any grocery store.
    -We like buying massive bags of veggies (broccoli, snap peas, ect) and freezing them so we don't have veggies going bad
    -Rice is great to pair with veggies & incredibly cheap. Toss the veggies in some sauce & place over rice & you have a great meal. The other night I had a yam I wanted to use but didn't really have something to go along with it. So I took some of the broccoli, some onion & yam in the pan, added some thai red curry sauce, placed over rice & it was the best meal we've had in a long time!!
    -We also like buying the roatisary chicken from grocery stores every once and a while if we're really craving chicken. It's typically between $6-$9 & we take it home, slice it off the little bones in to small chunks, place some in the freezer & then have some on hand in the fridge for things like pastas, stirfries, omlettes, ect. It seems to last forever!
    -Egg whites are also a staple in my grocery cart. Cheap & filling!

2-We love treating ourselves to a meal out with a sweet at the end. We've been sooooo satisfied with the quality of the meals we've been making at home lately that we haven't found the need to go spend tons of money eating out. We made sushi the other night for about $5 for a MASSIVE portion & we still have ingredients to make lots more. We finished it off with a bit of ice cream that would have cost us $7-$10 out, but instead we got a whole container for $7 that will last us for weeks. Plus, we're finding we're having way more fun & the sense of accomplishment is great too.

I would encourage you to keep track of your grocery bills & see what's really needed & see if you're buying any excess. Go to the grocery store with an amount of money already in mind & set that for your limit. We try and go to the store only once every week and a half-two weeks. So, stretch the dollar as far as you can & only buy quality ingredients & things you need.

Hope this helps some!
  • Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do you have discount supermarkets in your area?
    You could clip coupons and shop around for specials.
    Eating healthy does not have to cost a lot if you are a thrifty shopper :)
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    There's a Sam's Club a few miles away. I don't know if we have any Costcos locally. There's a Meijer and a Walmart real close and a Kroger a couple miles away.

I hadn't thought about smoothies. That might be a good idea if I can find a way to make ones that taste good but aren't too high in sugar.

It's a shame the veggies cause a problem because I liked salads (didn't LOVE them but I liked them okay) so not having that be my option for getting veggies is a downer. I definitely have to watch out of sodium so canned veggies are something I should try to do minimally (unless rinsing them takes off a good amount of sodium), so getting frozen or fresh from farmer's markets or something would be best.

If I steam the veggies, is there anything I can put on them for adding to the flavor? I'd normally salt or pour like cheddar on them but salt is a no-no and I think cheddar would be too much fat or calories.

Is white rice okay? I thought I'd read somewhere that white rice was bad to eat because...well I don't know why it was just "bad", but if white rice is okay, I have a 10-cup rice cooker and I'd thought about having it full so I could take rice throughout the day & just put stuff on top of it.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I buy the snack sized ziploc bags- about 1.50 for 100 at Walmart, and make my own "100 cal" snacks from fruit,. carrot sticks, celery, etc. that i've prewashed, cut up and have ready to go, so I don't have to take time each day to wash it. The big part is disciplining myself to do it when I get home from the grocery store (I use my scale to weigh everything out).

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, check them out. THey have tons of fresh fruit & veggies for cheap. I love the sandwich thins by Arnolds and buy 4-5 bags at once at Walmart because they are cheaper than my grocery store and throw them in my freezer.

I haven't found coupons to be helpful for me.

Someone once posted about www.angelfoodministries.com. You don't need to qualify for anything to buy their foods once a month. They have a standard package, a veggie package, etc.

Hope this help.

Nina
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If you have an Aldi's by you--use them--they are the cheapest in gorceries by me and the produce isn't bad--better than the larger name brand stores!!

Look for sales for fruit/veggies and meats--you can search online as well-most stores have their sales adds online and some even offer their own coupons (krogers does this)

If you spend less$ on the proccess bad for you foods you will have more $$ for healthier groceries.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi around where you live? They have lots of veggies for great prices. I love their frozen chicken breasts, I think 2.5 pounds for $5.45 and I love their stir fry....My husband has problems chewing too so I just cook stuff a little longer. I also stock up on meat sales at Kroger, I love their pork loin, I use it like chicken and it is a very lean cut. Amish markets are great too, I'm in southern Ohio and I get most of my produce there.
    Brown rice is better for you since it is less processed and you get fiber , also it fills you up more then white rice does. Same thing with the canned veggies, fresh or frozen is better unless you are talking tomatoes, for some reason the lipotene comes out better when they are cooked.
    The less processed the food the better for you. Hope this helps a little...
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    Home made soups are both cheap and nourishing and they freeze well so you can do batches of them.

I use saute onion and garlic in olive oil as a base for most soups and a variety of herbs and then add any of the following:

Cooked carrot and tinned tomato blitz in a food processor/blender/smoothie maker to desired thickness then add either low fat evaporated milk (makes it taste creamy) or beans/ lentils or ground meat for protein

Cook Brocolli dont bother draining water add cheese then blitz

Mushrooms and/or chicken with lowfat evaporated milk

Tomato and red pepper

Infact there isn't much that I dont make into soup. I live alone and it is hard to buy thingsin portions small enough for 1 and get a good variety so making soup and freezing it is a good cheap way of using them while they are still fresh. I did try juicing but I didnt like it.
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    Oh yeah, we do have an Aldi. It's only a little further away than the Kroger. I don't know if we have any Amish markets in Michigan.

Would brown rice cook in a regular rice cooker?
  • jollydolphin
    Options
    Jenna, First, you are doing great to want to change your diet and life. I love to recommend soup for you. You can make anything tasty and healthy, and it's not rough on your teeth. Look online for healthy receipes and go for it! Good luck.
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! :happy: I really appreciate it. I'm going to combine several suggestions (and OMG, there's an angelfoodministries right in my city!!!! and they take food stamps!!!) and hopefully, I'll not only get myself to better health, but perhaps make sure my niece gets better nutrients (though it's hard with her. I can be picky but she's even pickier than me:laugh: )
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Brown rice does do well in the rice cooker. Might check the book that came with it if you have it. My rice cooker has the markings on the inside for brown rice on one side and regular long grain white rice on the other. White rice is processed and like white flour products it is considered a bad carbohydrate because your body turns it into sugar that gets stored as fat.. Brown rice is much less processed. More fiber in the brown rice makes you feel fuller faster and takes longer to digest.

Something else you might be interested in is oatmeal, dried beans and lentils. Split pea soup made with a ham bone or pork knuckle is good too.

Great job on the loss so far! Keep your focus and you will do great!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    Brown rice does do well in the rice cooker. Might check the book that came with it if you have it. My rice cooker has the markings on the inside for brown rice on one side and regular long grain white rice on the other. White rice is processed and like white flour products it is considered a bad carbohydrate because your body turns it into sugar that gets stored as fat.. Brown rice is much less processed. More fiber in the brown rice makes you feel fuller faster and takes longer to digest.

Something else you might be interested in is oatmeal, dried beans and lentils. Split pea soup made with a ham bone or pork knuckle is good too.

Great job on the loss so far! Keep your focus and you will do great!

Definitely brown rice is a better option since it's unpolished and less starchy. Here there are some groceries selling multi-grains - black/brown rice, lentils, sunflower seeds, etc, which one can buy and mix them up together. I usually have this once a week with curries. Since it's so rich with multigrains and high in fibre and protein, you don't need much. 1 bag goes a long way too!
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My budget is extremely tight too. We have 2 teenage boys and we're raising an 18 month old granddaughter. I shop at Sam's club and Aldi. If you have an Aldi nearby- they have very nice, reasonable fruits and veggies and also frozen fish. I plan out my menu a month in advance and use items in more than one meal. Like if I buy a large container of sour cream, I try to have several dishes during the week that include sour cream. Steamed veggies are really good with Mrs. Dash on them. It adds a lot of flavor with no sodium or calories. I always look at day old meats- take them home and freeze them immediately. I freeze fruit in plastic containers to make it last. Frozen grapes and blueberries are the bomb! So are bananas that are getting a bit too ripe. Oatmeal is cheap and great for something soft. Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamins and are soft. I find that shopping once a month by list and not returning on a daily or weekly budget helps me save a great deal.