Keeping clothes around that are too small... waste of time?

Options

Replies

• dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you love them, I think you should keep them. Make them a goal!

I just bought a dress (way too small now) as a goal for a cruise that we are going on in February. :bigsmile:
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If I knew they were a size I could attain - I'd keep them.
    If they were not even able to get up over my thighs...might be a very lofty goal and I'd return them so I can enjoy them now.

I am motivated by my clothes. How they fit can mean progress, even when the scale does not cooperate. If you feel you will be motivated - keep them. But if you think it may discourage you.... return them.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I suggest you keep them and try them on once or twice a month. I've bought
    things on sale without trying them on first and they spent several years in
    storage. Now they are all being given away because they are too big to wear
    anymore. Good Luck!
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm not buying things too small, but if I'm trying something on and I'm between sizes, I'll get the tighter one in anticipation of fitting it better later, rather than erring on the "room to grow" size like I used to.

I did buy a pair of size 6 jeans that I could barely button, but that's because they were name-brand and on clearance for $4, and that was the only pair for that price, and I figured, "What the heck. If I end up fitting them, $4 jeans! If I never get there, I'm only out $4." I'm wearing size 7 right now (yeah yeah, even numbers are women's and odd numbers are juniors... I'm really short and I'm 25, so often the cut of junior jeans flatters me better) and the 6's fit in most areas but are kinda pinchy around the waistband. Getting there!

And I had a bunch of tees and things from high school that had gotten super tight during college that I'm now wearing comfortably again... so I'm very glad I still had them. I really like them, so it would've been a shame to get rid of them and have them be a casualty of my college weight gain.

I find that "these are goal clothes" isn't what motivates me about it, though... it's the rush of fitting into the smaller size that boosts my motivation to keep going. The rush motivates me, not seeking the rush. Make sense? It's more "riding a high" than "working for a goal."
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As a family our income is quite low so I'm very careful when I buy clothes. I recently bought a really nice jacket which sits on my shoulders and does up, however I think the button does sob under the strain a bit. I am going to lose another 30 to 34 kilos (66lb to 75lb) but even when I was at my goal weight all those years ago LOL I had to wear a cxouple of sizes bigger in jackets and coats to allow for my shoulders so I figure my gorgeous jacket will still be wearable when I'm slim and will look smashing.

Normally I buy cheap clothes from Op shops or cheaper warehouse type shops that fit now or will fit shortly. I've just about run out of my old smaller clothes or the hand me downs I was fortunate enough to be given. Once I'm at goal then I will spend better money on my clothing because that is where I will stay forever.

As far as your jeans are concerned I'd use caution. If they cost a lot (which jeans tend to do) then take them back and go to a cheaper store and buy something there that will give you motivation. I've gone from a NZ26 to 22 in trousers and NZ26 to 20 in tops, heading to a size NZ14/16. So you can see that dependiing on how much you intend to lose the size loss can be massive.

GOOD LUCK
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am totally motivated by clothes that are too small. I kept the majority of my clothing as I got heavier, and now I'm getting back into them as I get smaller again. It's like shopping, but free!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    KEEP THEM.

I am a former size 28, and have a pair of size 8 skinny jeans in my closet. I'm a tight size 10 in jeans now, and I WILL fit in to them. And I am a budget conscious person, so fitting in to them is not an option... I refuse to let them to go to waste! :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If they motivate you, then awesome, keep them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, I buy what will fit me now because I have never been as small as I am now. I have never fit into a medium or a size 11 pair of jeans so for me that is awesome. I know I have more to lose, and once I do, I know my sizes will keep going down for the most part. Recently my husband bought me a size 12 dress, and it was too big on me except in the tummy :grumble: but that was after wearing size 22 or 24 dresses.

ETA: my husband and my son have more clothes then I do to wear :laugh:

WAY TO GO - this is me too. Never been as small as I am now (doesn't it feel good?)!
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    I still own my 'too small' clothes. But I've only gone up by one size and it's not like it's asking for a miracle for me to fit in them again. And if I do lose enough weight, I don't want to have to go out and buy them again. But if it's something new, I'd return it and get something that fits me now.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans that I ordered online. When I got them I couldn't even get them all the way up. I have been slowly getting them on more and more. I can get them on and buttoned now (after two months), hopefully in another few pounds I will be able to wear them without my legs looking like sausages that were put in too small of casings, lol.

I also have a pair of pants that I have owned for close to ten years, hoping that someday I would be able to wear them. I wore them to work last week. Considering I didn't used to be able to get them even to go past my knees, I consider this a very motivational thing.
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Keep it. It's fun to see from time to time if it fits. I have been known to buy the next size smaller pants, when I find a pair I like. It's a really great feeling when you can get down into it.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I ordered a pair of jeans online, and they ended up being too small... but to the point where I could probably fit into them by fall. Should I keep them or return them for the next size up? Are you motivated by skinny clothes or do they just take up room in your closet/prevent you from wearing cute clothes in the here and now?

Considering fall will be here before we know it, I would keep, unless you need a pair now. Really comes down to what it is you need now and how much effort (and money) it might take to return considering you bought them online.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No way, I bought a too small jacket during the last world cup.

Now I'm repping germany all over. What's up not being fat?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd keep them if they were a little too small. If they were really small though (like 2 sizes down), probably not, because I don't know what size I'll actually go down to.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I ordered a pair of jeans online, and they ended up being too small... but to the point where I could probably fit into them by fall. Should I keep them or return them for the next size up? Are you motivated by skinny clothes or do they just take up room in your closet/prevent you from wearing cute clothes in the here and now?

I've done that - and fitted into them eventually. Works for me!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of these waiting for me. They are two sizes too small, but should fit me by fall and I totally intend to rock the hell out of them come my Vegas convention.

And yes, I'm aware they are completely ridiculous and totally fabulous.

ETA: When I ordered them I based it upon their on-line size chart. When I called to have one of the pairs returned, they knew to jump it up 2 sizes without even asking - so clearly their size chart was a little off. I kept these as motivation.

RedSkinnyLeopard_zps3e067b5e.jpg
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I totally keep clothes that are too small! I love trying on my too small clothes periodically and see how much closer I am to fitting into them. Sometimes I forget about something and by the time I try it on again it's too big, which is a bummer, but a good bummer. I even buy things on sale that are too small just to hold onto for the future, it's really good motivation. My friend keeps asking me where I got all these cute new clothes and I tell her I've always had them, I just didn't fit into them. It's constantly expanding my wardrobe, especially because I bought way more clothes when I was thinner and typically wore the same old thing to death when I was fatter just because I hated shopping.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Your goal is to be lose enough weight to wear them by fall? Keep them. Remind yourself of why you are working so hard.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I keep the smaller clothes I used to wear that I think I can get back into. The clothes I do not think I will ever fit again, without cutting meals or eating only a few hundred calories a day, I get rid of when I find them.