BIG CALVES TIPS PLEASE

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anybody knows a good exercise for calves it may seem like a silly question but I have always been insecure about my calves and was hoping that their was someone out there that can relate or give me any tips on how I can make mine smaller, thanks in advance

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.

They will get smaller, trust me.

You may think your calves are big, but you still have a long way to go until your goal weight. Your calves still have fat on them. So, you need to lose that fat in order to get smaller calves. Specific exercises won't target fat loss. Just keep a moderate calorie deficit and apply patience and time. If you want to exercise as well, that's great. Strength training and some cardio will give you a lot of bang for your buck.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Walk, jog, bike, stairs, toe raises. The more lean mass you put on them, the less fat there will. And nothing is sexier than some nice, toned calves.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    Try releves on a raised surface, like a step, with your heel hanging off the edge. This will really strengthen and tone your calf muscles, as well as your ankles, and they are super easy. You could almost read a book while you do them!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.

They will get smaller, trust me.

You may think your calves are big, but you still have a long way to go until your goal weight. Your calves still have fat on them. So, you need to lose that fat in order to get smaller calves. Specific exercises won't target fat loss. Just keep a moderate calorie deficit and apply patience and time. If you want to exercise as well, that's great. Strength training and some cardio will give you a lot of bang for your buck.

This. Just eat at deficit and continue to lose weight. You may lose it in certain areas faster but if you continue to get rid of excess body fat I think you'll find that your body is much more proportional than you think.
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My problem is that when I work out, my calves get gigantic, same with my arms. I'm just one giant fast-twitch muscle fiber I guess?
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My problem is that when I work out, my calves get gigantic, same with my arms. I'm just one giant fast-twitch muscle fiber I guess?

I'm sure you are. Your profile pic really speaks to the veracity of your claims. Thank you for sharing.
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And your pic is so enlightening as well.
    Now I know why I never shared here before. Nor will I continue.
    Have a great day!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    And your pic is so enlightening as well.
    Now I know why I never shared here before. Nor will I continue.
    Have a great day!

Hey, don't let ignorant comments dissuade you from posting on the boards, you are entitled to post here regardless as to what somebody else might think xxx
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have the problem that mine are too muscular makes skinny jeans difficult some times
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, especially my left calve, it is so much bigger than my right, but I also broke that leg when I was five so that might have something to do with it. I call it my fat leg....and pants never fit right! LOL maybe one day when I lose more weight it will go away. I have high hopes.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Sorry but i like calves cant help
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I have big calves... Got 'em from my dad. Even when I've been in incredibly good shape, they've basically stayed the same size. I didn't take specific measurements at the time, but when I was a 17 year old cross country runner I was 135 lbs at 5'6", wore a size 6 in pants, and STILL could not wear knee high boots. I bought a pair of half-chaps around that time and had to order double extra wide.

When I'm in shape, these big calves do become very toned. It used to bother me a lot more when I was a teenager but now I really don't care. If the rest of me is in good shape, nobody is looking at my calves anyways...
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    MIne have always been VERY muscular and pants are always snug against them. I started losing weight and I have seen a decrease in the size from fat loss... but I just had to live with my muscular calves even when I was young and much thinner. No cute knee high boots for me lol