Are all fruit & veg good for you,

I love all kinds of fruit and veg, ( except Broad Beans) :bigsmile: but as i eat a lot of this type of food i wonder if anyone knows if any can leave you feeling bloated,
I eat a mixed leaf salad almost every night, i love fish, seafood & chicken, i have apple and banana at lunch, i also think wholemeal bread is not always good for you, any advise on this subject please, :blushing:

Replies

• FrozenFlame22
    FrozenFlame22 Posts: 9 Member
    Some foods can cause bloating. From WebMD:

Difficult-to-digest foods can cause gassiness and bloating. These are some familiar culprits.

Beans and lentils contain indigestible sugars called oligosaccharides. These sugars must be broken down by bacteria in the intestines.
    Fruits and vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, prunes, apricots. These contain sugars and starches that may cause gassiness and bloating.
    Sweeteners can also cause gas and bloating. Sorbitol, an artificial sweetener, can’t be digested. Fructose, a natural sugar added to many processed foods, is difficult for many people to digest. To avoid bloating, be aware of these sweeteners in the foods you eat and limit the amount you consume.
    Dairy products can be a source of intestinal distress and bloating if you have trouble digesting lactose, or milk sugar.
    Whole grains, recommended for their many health benefits, can sometimes cause bloating and gas problems. One reason whole grains are so healthy is their high fiber content. But fiber is an indigestible carbohydrate. Abruptly increasing the amount of fiber you eat can cause gas, bloating, and constipation. Nutritionists recommend slowly increasing the fiber in your diet to allow your body time to adjust. At the same time, drink plenty of water with high-fiber foods, says nutritionist Joanne L. Slavin, PhD, RD, professor of food science and nutrition at the University of Minnesota. “All fiber absorbs water,” she explains. Drinking liquids helps fiber move through the digestive system and prevents bloating and constipation.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diarrhea-10/bloated-bloating
  • My trainer suggested that I eat the sweet fruits in the morning and not after lunch just because of the natural sugars.
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    My trainer suggested that I eat the sweet fruits in the morning and not after lunch just because of the natural sugars.

Your trainer must be a genius.
  • janepatricia2
    janepatricia2 Posts: 40 Member
    thank you for this advise, i will copy and paste to my P.C. i have just started eating Oat & Barley bread with spelt, so not sure if this may be a problem. :smile:
  • janepatricia2
    janepatricia2 Posts: 40 Member
    yes, i mostly eat fruit at lunch time only, sometimes have a Banana at breakfast but never in the evenings, :bigsmile:
  • Actually, when you eat your calories doesn't really matter. You can eat sweet food at night and not gain weight as long as you stay within your daily calorie limit.

A couple links…
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-truth-myth-eating-night-causes-weight-gain
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/myth-debunked-late-night-eating-does-not-cause-weight-gain.html#b
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    All things in moderation. I try to steer clear of carb-heavy fruits (though I do love half a banana from time to time), but I can usually eat most vegetables (potatoes are a carb in my mind) until I'm stuffed without having any problems.