Frustrated

Options
So I've read quite a few success stories about people losing 7 pounds in 4 days or 5 pounds in 3 days. What's the secret??? I tried this at the beginning of the year for about 2 months and only lost like 2-3 pounds. I got extremely busy with school and didn't have time to exercise so naturally i put back on what I lost. Anyways, so I'm back to working out and watching what I'm eating. Lately, all I've been eating is a turkey sandwich for lunch and a grilled chicken, avocado, lettuce and spinach and grape tomato salad for dinner. As for exercise, I run on the elliptical for 45 minutes every day, burning around 475 calories and I do ab exercises. With the extra calories I get from working out, I end up being anywhere from 800 to 400 calories under my goal. I've been doing this 7 days now and have only lost 2-2.5 pounds. How can I lose more weight?

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat more? Sounds like you're not giving yourself enough fuel for your lifestyle
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Agree with Daisy. Also when did you start exercising again? If recently and you feel sore, they your muscles are holding on to water. Give it time. I quick weight loss is not a solution, just a temporary fix. In a few weeks they will complain that they cannot lose weight. Slow and steady.
  • sockerchick06
    Options
    I was just thinking about the calorie thing today. I don't feel like I'm starving myself or anything. I'm always full after I eat and have been staying fuller longer, so I don't snack. I add a lot of veggies to my salads which are really low in calories. Part of me doesn't want to eat things just to get calories, but if I'm not losing weight because I'm not taking in enough calories then I guess I have to eat more.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you consume on a daily, average basis?
  • LyleMcCracken
    LyleMcCracken Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are loosing exactly as I would expect you to with a 800-400 cal deficit. A little better than the numbers would show even.

Have patience. You are already achieving epic weight loss. Somethings just take time. A quick rule of thumb is that an average of 500 call deficit per day will result in loosing 1 lb per week.

So far that is how it has worked for me.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You have to remember we all lose weight differently. Someone who has a lot to lose will lose it faster than someone who doesn't have too much to lose. And I also agree about the calories, say you have your calories set at 1500 a day and you are 800 under, that means you have only eaten 700 for the day. That isn't healthy. Do you eat breakfast? Try switching up your meals a little.
  • Troy_Boy1969
    Options
    Patience, Grasshopper.

A normal/healthy goal should be to lose weight each week. No matter how little. One lb per week is a good goal.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    2-2.5 is great! You don't want to compare yourself to what other's are losing you may not be able to achieve. Everybody's body is different. For example with me if I am really disciplined eating only healthy things keep track of it all and getting plenty of exercise I can loose 3-4 lbs in a week. But if I am not disciplined and I don't workout as often then I can also gain 3-5 lbs in a week. Some people don't have to be a disciplined but will only lose .5 - 1 lb in a week. I think you may need to lower your expectations and be very happy with the 2-2.5 lb per week loss.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    How much sodium are you getting and how much water are you drinking? Too much sodium and not enough water is a recipe for retention. Those dramatic first-week success stories you hear about are usually the body dropping water weight and not muscle or fat, anyway - it can be encouraging to see on your first week, but it's not a meaningful or consistent result.

Be patient, be consistent, be positive. Also, since your weight does tend to fluctuate 5-10 lbs naturally (due to water and waste in your system), you're better off taking measurements than hopping on the scale.
  • sockerchick06
    Options
    Thank you all for you're input! It is much appreciated. I have realized I am not very patient and would like to see the results a little quicker than I am lol According to my fitness pal, I am not going over my sodium intake. And since I am working out I drink anywhere from 4-7 glasses of water a day. No, I have not been eating breakfast lately because I have been sleeping through breakfast time lol so I should definitely be eating more to get closer to my calorie goal? Obviously healthier foods, but more food.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    2 - 2.5 lbs. per week is waaay too fast. You are at a 7000 - 10,000 calorie deficit. Keep this up and you may have serious health complications. Slow and steady is healthier, more sustainable, and you are less likely to pack it back on when you start eating normally.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Something you can try is Garcinia Gambogia. It's a supplement you can get at your local health food store. Do your research first though, not every product is as good as it claims. It was featured on Dr. OZ and it does work. I lost 5lbs in 5 days with it. When used with exercise and diet it can substantially increase losses. I too am an impatient person. But remember the weight gain didn't happen over night and neither will the weight loss. Best of luck.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Something you can try is Garcinia Gambogia. It's a supplement you can get at your local health food store. Do your research first though, not every product is as good as it claims. It was featured on Dr. OZ and it does work. I lost 5lbs in 5 days with it. When used with exercise and diet it can substantially increase losses. I too am an impatient person. But remember the weight gain didn't happen over night and neither will the weight loss. Best of luck.
    Anything Dr. Oz endorses should be avoided like the plague. He is nothing more than a shill for the shiniest nickel. If you lost 5 lbs. in 5 days I can guarantee it was mostly water. Unless of course you had a 3500 calorie burn per day and ate absolutely nothing. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb. That equals 17,500 calories in 5 days...I'm calling bullsquat on this one...
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for you're input! It is much appreciated. I have realized I am not very patient and would like to see the results a little quicker than I am lol According to my fitness pal, I am not going over my sodium intake. And since I am working out I drink anywhere from 4-7 glasses of water a day. No, I have not been eating breakfast lately because I have been sleeping through breakfast time lol so I should definitely be eating more to get closer to my calorie goal? Obviously healthier foods, but more food.

My 2 cents? Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day, figure out your TDEE and eat 20% below that (if you have more than 50 pounds to lose). Most importantly....be patient and give yourself time to figure out what works for you. Everyone will be different and lose at different rates. And if you're not lifting weights, start. You want to lose fat, not lean muscle. And fitness pals sodium level is over to what the official salt people (forget the name haha) say it should be by 500. Please make sure you eat enough!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    2 to 2.5 lbs in a week is a very high rate of loss. People who lose 7 pounds in two weeks or whatever are losing mostly water.

You have to take in 3500 calories fewer than you burn to lose one pound. Period.

You have to also eat well enough to get good nutrition, which is why eating too low is a bad idea.

I think you are doing fine; your expectations may need some adjustment. The trick here is not quick weight loss, it is steady loss over many, many weeks coupled with improved overall fitness. Good luck!
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Anything Dr. Oz endorses should be avoided like the plague. He is nothing more than a shill for the shiniest nickel. If you lost 5 lbs. in 5 days I can guarantee it was mostly water. Unless of course you had a 3500 calorie burn per day and ate absolutely nothing. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb. That equals 17,500 calories in 5 days...I'm calling bullsquat on this one...

You are entitled to your opinion, and I mine. I just ask that when you express yourself be a little more tactful. I, like most, are looking for support and negative people like you make me not want to reach out or give my suggestions on what has worked for me. Instead of just knocking what others suggest, maybe providing viable options. I wish you well on your weight loss.
  • FitCoachShawn
    FitCoachShawn Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Great support and motivation! Hope you like it and will join!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14158-lean-on-me
    Your not only getting me for motivation and support but the other 120+ people also int eh group! :)
  • FitCoachShawn
    FitCoachShawn Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Every one is entitled to there opinion! Dont bash what might have helped some one just because you have your own agenda!
    Keep your negative comments to your self! This is supposed to be a support group and an up lifting experience,
  • TheStefanieC
    Options
    Sounds like your doing what you need to do the lose the weight everyone had really great suggestions on here!