What do you eat to prepare for leg day?

Options
mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
Do you carb load that whole day, 40-60 minutes before going, and/or after your workout?

I'm not new to losing weight/fat, but I am somewhat new to muscle building. I appreciate all the helpful tips I can get in order to look my best! I know it's a science. I know everyone's body works differently. But I'll take any and all suggestions so I can then figure out what works best for me. :D

Thanks fellow MFPeeps!!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I eat what I normally eat, unless by "leg day" you mean running a marathon.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same macros every day. Doesn't really make a difference for me.
    Usually my leg workout is at 5:30, and the last time I'll eat is around 2:30 or 3:00. Usually cottage cheese or a snickers or something.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Three chickens, half a cow and a pig.

Seriously, don't worry about it. Just go in and rip ****.
  • mandeiko
    Options
    Thanks for your comments! To clarify-- the reason I'm asking is because I was reading up on some of the body building websites that they prep differently for leg day because it's that much more strenuous. Was just curious if anyone follows a different routine to assure they got more out of it than, say, bicep/tricep day (or however you split days).

I did not mean marathon running, no.. sorry. To be more clear, I mean specifically weight lifting. Wish I could run a marathon though! Maybe some day I will come back for that conversation.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    To prepare for? Nothing special.

To recover from? I just try and not consume everything not nailed down. I'm always in "Eat all the Food" mode the day after legs.
  • mandeiko
    Options
    To prepare for? Nothing special.

To recover from? I just try and not consume everything not nailed down. I'm always in "Eat all the Food" mode the day after legs.

Haha I am the same way! That's kinda why I've been sticking to planning my diary ahead of time in order to not go over my macros after all that work!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    My legs are going to hate me no matter what i eat lol
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    Thanks for your comments! To clarify-- the reason I'm asking is because I was reading up on some of the body building websites that they prep differently for leg day because it's that much more strenuous. Was just curious if anyone follows a different routine to assure they got more out of it than, say, bicep/tricep day (or however you split days).

I did not mean marathon running, no.. sorry. To be more clear, I mean specifically weight lifting. Wish I could run a marathon though! Maybe some day I will come back for that conversation.

Gonna take a guess that your leg day will not be as intense as theirs.
  • mandeiko
    Options

Not body building per se... but why do you assume that? I could very well be. I am, however, beginning my training for a bikini competition. I realize I have a long way to go, and a little encouragement and every tip is appreciated. But thanks anyway.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

Not body building per se... but why do you assume that? I could very well be. I am, however, beginning my training for a bikini competition. I realize I have a long way to go, and a little encouragement and every tip is appreciated. But thanks anyway.

General assumption. Many people see what others are doing and want to copy it or think it is the best way without sitting down and actually looking at why they are doing it. I mean, if you are coming in with 5 sets of squats in the 8-15 rep range, followed with leg press and then front squat and lunges and SLDL and doing 30, HEAVY sets, and doing 2+ hours of leg training, then I would see needing something to get through to the end.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

For the average Joe/Jane, it's really not going to matter. Yes, a competitive body builder or power lifter is going to gain some marginal advantage from specifically eating certain things at certain time and before certain lifts...but those advantages are indeed marginal and therefore pretty much not applicable to your average Joe/Jane in the weight room trying to get healthy and fit.

Also, the suggestion above was made because the average Joe/Jane hitting the weight room a few nights per week to be more fit and stronger aren't working with the kind of intensity a competitive lifter or aspiring competitive lifter would be. It's like comparing a pick up game of basketball to the NBA and a reasonable assumption.

Just hit your macros and calorie goals.
  • mandeiko
    Options

General assumption. Many people see what others are doing and want to copy it or think it is the best way without sitting down and actually looking at why they are doing it. I mean, if you are coming in with 5 sets of squats in the 8-15 rep range, followed with leg press and then front squat and lunges and SLDL and doing 30, HEAVY sets, and doing 2+ hours of leg training, then I would see needing something to get through to the end.

I guess I'll work my way up to that and stick to my simple diet for now. :)
  • mandeiko
    Options

For the average Joe/Jane, it's really not going to matter. Yes, a competitive body builder or power lifter is going to gain some marginal advantage from specifically eating certain things at certain time and before certain lifts...but those advantages are indeed marginal and therefore pretty much not applicable to your average Joe/Jane in the weight room trying to get healthy and fit.

Also, the suggestion above was made because the average Joe/Jane hitting the weight room a few nights per week to be more fit and stronger aren't working with the kind of intensity a competitive lifter or aspiring competitive lifter would be. It's like comparing a pick up game of basketball to the NBA and a reasonable assumption.

Thanks for your response. That clears a bit up. Like I said, I'm relatively new to heavy lifting and just need help in any way I can get it since I'm not with a personal trainer (just yet). I do read a lot of scientific resources, but I like to hear what people have to say too.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

No offense meant of course, just a direct approach. While your goals in many ways are similar to that of a bodybuilder, they are different in ways to.
  • mandeiko
    Options

No offense meant of course, just a direct approach. While your goals in many ways are similar to that of a bodybuilder, they are different in ways to.

You are indeed correct, I am sure!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. That clears a bit up. Like I said, I'm relatively new to heavy lifting and just need help in any way I can get it since I'm not with a personal trainer (just yet). I do read a lot of scientific resources, but I like to hear what people have to say too.

Are you cutting (dieting). Strength training can get pretty rough when you're eating a deficit. I don't make nearly the strength gains I do even at maintenance calories...obviously you can blow it up in a surplus. Just hit your macros...and get plenty of protein. I prefer long burn carbs on my recovery days...stuff like grains, wild rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. It seems to aid in my recovery more than fructose does (but I don't shy away from fruit either).
  • mandeiko
    Options
    *deleted*
  • mandeiko
    Options

Are you cutting (dieting). Strength training can get pretty rough when you're eating a deficit. I don't make nearly the strength gains I do even at maintenance calories...obviously you can blow it up in a surplus. Just hit your macros...and get plenty of protein. I prefer long burn carbs on my recovery days...stuff like grains, wild rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. It seems to aid in my recovery more than fructose does (but I don't shy away from fruit either).

I feel like I'm all over the place because I'm so new to this, and I realize I'm doing it all wrong! I want to begin cutting, so that means I should up my protein and fats ratio, and lower my carb intake? For how long do I usually cut back on carbs. Thanks for being so friendly and helpful!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. Get at least .35 grams of fat per pound of total body weight. Eat the rest in carbs but get enough fiber and micronutrients. That's it. You're trying to lose weight right now so that's enough. If you get down to super lean and are trying to cut that stubborn remaining 5 pounds then worry about carbs.
  • mandeiko
    Options
    Get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. Get at least .35 grams of fat per pound of total body weight. Eat the rest in carbs but get enough fiber and micronutrients. That's it. You're trying to lose weight right now so that's enough. If you get down to super lean and are trying to cut that stubborn remaining 5 pounds then worry about carbs.

Thank you, kind sir! :)