I have not lost a pound in over a month

Options
Is this normal? How long do plateaus last and should I be looking for a secret culprit? I am on the ATkins plan and up until may 6th it has worked beautiful. I have taken off 33 pounds but not anymore and nothing has changed. HELP

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Do u log your calories? Or do u just follow the four phases of atkins?
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Do u log your calories? Or do u just follow the four phases of atkins?
    Exactly this. My sister does Atkins and she's constantly hitting plateaus until she starts logging her calories again.
  • h0rserunner
    h0rserunner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I record everything here and I am sticking with MFP calorie limit of 1300. So maybe I shouldn't be doing both?
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a pound in 3 months. In fact, I've gone UP from 149 to 152. However... I have noticed that I can see the faint outline of my ribs in the mirror when I turn to the side, that my muffin top is smaller, and my thighs look slimmer.

Took my measurements? Down inches. Pretty sure I'm just building muscle.

You could be building muscle like me. Can you SEE change? I mean... that's what it's all about right?
  • ryry_
    Options
    I record everything here and I am sticking with MFP calorie limit of 1300. So maybe I shouldn't be doing both?

If an atkins menu is your preferred menu of eating, you can stick with it but I would still log your calories.

Atkins makes you prone to severe weight swings. Eating low carb tends to keep you at your bottom bottom weight. Any increase in sodium and/or increase in carbs will tend to make you gain weight and can mask fat loss. Any increase in carbs and/or sodium?
  • ryry_
    Options
    Also, would you open your diary?
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hit months where I don't lose lbs on the scale. But overall I have lost 9 pounds in 3 months. Slow and steady. Keep doing what your doing. It will continue to come off. I wouldn't rely on the scale though. It's not the only way to measure success. I suggest to measure... I just did this weekend and I should have done it a long time ago. Other suggestions when you hit a plateau; vary your workout and eat a different amount of calories so that it's different from day to day each day but still averages out over a week. Just trick your body so it doesn't know what to expect. I don't know much about atkins....
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    there are a couple of things that you could try doing... there is a method out there that workd for some people called the zig zag method where you eat 200 extra calories for a week and then go back down the next week, do that a couple of times and its supposed to help put your body into fat loss mode on the down weeks... or (and this is the method i recomend) change up your workouts. your body needs variety and if your doing the exact same thing all the time and eating the exact same food all the time your body get used to it and plateaus. make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs, maybe include a multi vitamin and make sure your drinking lots of water.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do you own and use a food scale and are you tracking things meticulously?

This may help, and it may not:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • thedietguru
    Options

I hate reading posts like this because I'm willing to bet you're eat way too little and your metabolism is just dropping while destroying your hormonal profile. At the very least, have 1 day a week where you eat 2000 calories or more. That will help. When your Leptin levels drop too low (as will always happen on Atkins), metabolism has no way to restore to normal. Insulin and Leptin parallel each other so refeed!
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I hit months where I don't lose lbs on the scale. But overall I have lost 9 pounds in 3 months. Slow and steady. Keep doing what your doing. It will continue to come off. I wouldn't rely on the scale though. It's not the only way to measure success. I suggest to measure... I just did this weekend and I should have done it a long time ago. Other suggestions when you hit a plateau; vary your workout and eat a different amount of calories so that it's different from day to day each day but still averages out over a week. Just trick your body so it doesn't know what to expect. I don't know much about atkins....
    :sad: :sad:
    I hit that dreaded word PLATEAU also!!! Six long weeks.......all i can say is switch it up....exercises, food, etc...i was burning more, than i was eating....that messed me up.... so I upped my cals, now I try to eat @ least 1200 net, sometimes I eat my exercise cals and sometimes I don't!!! It does take your body a long time to repair the metabolism after you mess it up (Like me)-it still is hard for me to understand the "eat more" to lose the weight....good luck :):flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • h0rserunner
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the replies. I am taking in quite a bit of sodium. The major downfall I have found on Atkins is that really truly sticking to it, limits some of the snacks you can eat and it usually is loaded with sodium. I haven't measured with a tape and I think that is something I should start doing.

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate them.
  • h0rserunner
    Options
    Sundays would be a great day for this. Thanks for the tip.