New and going into the Navy

Options
I stumbled across this site and wish I would have found it sooner! I am leaving for boot camp on the 25th and am getting frustrated since I felt like I was doing all the right things but I ended up gaining 5 pounds! I know I don't have much time but this eating healthy/excercise thing is not as easy as it seems. When I punched in my meals I was surprised how many calories where hiding in what I thought was healthy! Does anyone have tips about how not to get frustrated about counting calories? I feel like most of my stress stems from not knowing the right things to choose. I feel like when I start eating just tuna lettuce wraps and no sugar I get cravings and it just goes down hill from there...ugh...any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Aimee, go easy on yourself.

You have to weigh everything until you are comfortable with what a serving really is; so pull out your measuring spoons, cups, and get a good food scale.

Read package labels before consuming.

Don't deprive yourself of food or food choices. Just make sure you eat a balanced diet; and that you account for everything you eat. If its within your calorie goal for the day; enjoy.

Eat back some of your exercise calories, not all of them. Walk away leaving some calories out there ... you need to burn more than you put in. Meaning eating at a deficit.

We all struggled when we first started; but I can assure you once you are IN the Navy, in boot camp you are going to be working hard and will drop the pounds.
  • aimeemakovec
    Options
    Thank you for your support and great advice!
  • Texasopa
    Texasopa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Give it 25 days and the NAVY will be watching your calories for you and will make sure you get plenty of exercise.
    Good Luck in you career choice.
  • aimeemakovec
    Options
    Haha, yes they will! Thank you:)
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Pre-log... I'm serious. Pre-log your meals and snacks and try to stick to your plan. Adjust as necessary. I've started doing that and it helps figure out how much exercise to do if you want to eat something or if you're planning on having a "bad" meal you can find ways to work in your calories without giving much up.