Sleep....

Options
How much sleep should someone be getting? Female, 27 years old, very active.

I am constantly tired. By noon, I am going downhill. By two, I barely have energy to go up and down the stairs.

I get about 6 1/2 hours of sleep, Sun - Thurs, and about 10 - 12 hours Fri and Sat.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I need at least 8 hours a night. (I usually get around 7). They say you can't make up for lost sleep on the weekends, but I sure try.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I need at least 8 hours a night. (I usually get around 7). They say you can't make up for lost sleep on the weekends, but I sure try.
    [/quote

Don't we all!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I tend to need about 7-8 hours. I've had a few times when I had 4 hours of sleep and it wasn't pretty!

Just curious-have you had your iron levels tested? I used to feel the same way when I was anemic. Just a thought!
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I only drink water within 6 hours of bed, that seems to help me. Caffeine only within the first 1/3 of my day.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    never drank coffee.

As for iron levels, I am going for a CBC soon, so we'll see. thanks for the heads up
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I sleep 8 hours a night consistently and I am only tired when I eat really crappy food or when my allergies act up or both...today is a great example...allergies are in full swing and I have a huge chocolate cup cake today...I'm feeling a tad sluggish!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    eat more

This could be a factor if you don't eat enough. How many calories a day do you average? Or maybe you are just lacking certain nutrients or vitamins? Definitely check with your doctor if you are feeling that worn out.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Minimum I can function on is 7, I have similar stats to you except I'm 22. I am at my best when I've had 8-9 hours.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    How late into the night are you drinking?

I'm just looking at your avatar and thinking about when I was 27 . . .
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Then the question would be "how early in the morning are you stopping?"
  • BeachIron
    Options

Then the question would be "how early in the morning are you stopping?"

6 1/2 hours of sleep means she's probably not drinking into the wee hours but an extra 1 or 2 could help . . .

Just thinking before we all put on our Holiday Inn Express hats and diagnose her with sleep disorders and coffee addiction.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've always needed 7 or 8 hours.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    that's about 7.5 hours of sleep if we assume the 10 hrs on the weekend which is decent even more if you're sleeping the 12 hrs those nights. not really a reason to be that tired.

check your diet to make sure you're getting enough of the things that give you enough energy. there are plenty of ideas out there about what can be energy zappers or boosters in your diet or macro's so only you know your history and intake. google things if it doesn't jump out at you from your diary. for me, major factors are iron deficiency, dehydration, caffeine addiction reinstated (going back off it always give me the slumps for days), and carbo overloads cause me a bad case of the naps.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Options
    I don't drink coffee or alcohol, EVER.

I drink water, about 4 - 6 L a day, which my doc has told me to do.

I am not having trouble sleeping. I can sleep more. I was just wondering if 6 1/2 hours was enough or not.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I am not having trouble sleeping. I can sleep more. I was just wondering if 6 1/2 hours was enough or not.

It sounds like it is not enough for you. Try to get more sleep and see if that solves the problem.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Probably not...I'd up it by an hour and see how you do. That's what I had to do!
    Good luck...being tired all the time stinks.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I was exhausted last year and started having muscle pain...

I was tested for MS, Lupus, the works.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Now on my medications just over a year and I'm not as tired as I used to be, I have a decent amount of energy, and I was able to return to work full time, still volunteer 3 nights a week, and have yoga 4 times a week.

If more sleep doesn't help, get bloodwork done. There may be other issues going on.

And I typically sleep 7-9 hours a night, depending on my pain and activity levels.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I do really well with 7-8 hours a night. Oversleeping can cause sluggishness as well (refering to weekend days).