30 day shred log (fat man style)

Options
I have been dieting since mid January and have made some great losses so far by tracking calories and very little cardio. I am getting to the point where I need to start doing cardio to continue losing while I keep my calorie intake the same as it was when I was heavier.

I ended up getting the insanity workout but was a bit spooked by its hard core reputation so I decided to whet my cardio appetite with what I thought was going to be an easy going workout.

Up until a half hour ago I fancied myself to be pretty spry for a fat guy because I hit the gym and lift heavy. Boy was I wrong!

I grabbed my wifes 5 pound dumbells and set to work only to get my fat *kitten* kicked by a DVD. My biggest error was trying to keep up with the video because they are in far better shape.

Anyhoo I will keep this thread updated from time to time with comments and updates.

For now I am going to hit the shower and sleep like a rock.

I will take starting pics tomorrow and I already track my measurements.

Replies

• bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    Options
    Feeling a bit sore this morning but overall I feel good for having started the program.
  • bill323
    Options
    Yesterdays workout went better than expected. I think the first day was bad because I was not familiar with the workout and pushed too hard in the beginning. I am comfortably sore and am anxious to see results over the course of the program.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Jillian's workouts are no joke. I have a heart rate monitor and I would burn just as many calories (for equal number of minutes) as while doing Insanity. I did 30 Day Shred last August and just started another round on May 13th. I have one more day of Level 2 and then onto Level 3.

Just a word of advice when starting the new levels, maybe use 3 pound dumb bells for the first time. Then when you know what you are in for you can up the weights. In level two I use 5 pounds for Circuits 1 & 2, but in circuit 3 I can only handle 3 pounds.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i just completed 30 day shred! and i agree....it's no joke! I am now doing Ripped in 30, along with 6 week abs...OMG!!!
    Keep the good/hard work!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Jillian Michaels' 30 day slim down

It's a rotation suposedly created by Jillian ( although I cant find the original source). It consists of the 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, and Burn Fat/Boost Metabolism.

N.B. 'Quick Trouble Zones' is the standing part of 'No More Trouble Zones'.

Here is what the program looks like

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES

DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM

DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
  • bill323
    Options
    I took some before pics today and boy what a difference from the pics I took back in January when I started. LOL 65 lbs. is a lot to hide on a 5'11" frame.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If there was a "LIKE" button, I would click on it! Great job!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good for you:) Jillian videos are great. I'm doing a rotation of several that are available for free on YouTube.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I just started 30DS today and I picked up the two 10 lb. weights I've been using and I had to lower the weight on level 2. I'm excited to see the results, but its defiantly not going to be a relaxing walk in the park!
  • dtmtti6
    dtmtti6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday and it totally kicked my butt! Nothing like a wake up call on how out of shape you are. I haven't even added weight yet!
  • bill323
    Options
    So it seems as if I am following in the footsteps of many by gaining weight at the beginning of 30DS. I am up 5# after losing 6 last week. I tried my normal tricks to kickstart my loss but they aren't taking. I will just notate it in my measurement/weight log.
  • bill323
    Options
    The more I think about it the more I start wondering if I should just stop since my objective is is to lose weight not get "toned" as I already have a decent base of muscle and will worry about tone when I get closer to my end weight goal.

Like so many others my weight loss progress is a mental game and if the scale stalls out my motivation may take a dive.

All of the reports of weight gain I have read also said there was a noticeable loss of inches but men don't lose inches like women so I am again wondering where the benefits are.