Am I exercising enough?

Options
Okay, so I eat around 1100-1300 calories a day (if I can manage to eat 1300. I get so full, with snacks and everything! I eat healthy)

I exercise around 30-40 minutes a day. Usually 20 minutes on the elliptical (speed it around 10 minute mile, just a little more), and then I either run on the treadmill, or do the cybex arc trainer for 10-20 minutes (this thing http://horizonellipticalmachinesite.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/cybex-arc-trainer.jpg)

MFP and another calorie counters say I burn around 250 calories on the elliptical, plus an extra 100-150 on the other 2 things I do. I usually cut my exercise calories in half, or 2/3 when I mark them on a calorie counter

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I can't say whether you're exercising enough or not, but I would suggest incorporating some strength training, not doing all cardio.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I think you are exercising lots. I would not feel well if I exercised that much and ate that little. Do you eat about 1500? Eating back calories? Anyhow, I don't think you need to do that much cardio. Personally, I do about 20 to 30 minutes three times a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss (MFP is a NEAT method calculator)...it is necessary for good health and fitness. I lift weights 3x weekly for 45 minutes to an hour...other than that, I run a couple of miles 3-4 times per week and to a lot of walking. You don't need to kill yourself with exercise to be fit or to be successful in achieving your weight loss goals.

I'd advice making some fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn/weight loss. Then you will know if you're doing enough.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I can't say whether you're exercising enough or not, but I would suggest incorporating some strength training, not doing all cardio.

I agree!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd eat at least 1500 if you're burning 300 calories a day. And weight loss isn't linked to exercise, it's mostly diet... I agree to add some weight/strength training though.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss (MFP is a NEAT method calculator)...it is necessary for good health and fitness. I lift weights 3x weekly for 45 minutes to an hour...other than that, I run a couple of miles 3-4 times per week and to a lot of walking. You don't need to kill yourself with exercise to be fit or to be successful in achieving your weight loss goals.

I'd advice making some fitness goals that are independent of calorie burn/weight loss. Then you will know if you're doing enough.

Like this, esp the very first sentence.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't needed for weight loss. It's done for better fitness and overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • goldenvulture
    Options

On Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays I do weights. I just don't want to get too bulky...
  • Paiger81
    Paiger81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a 'certified health coach' as part of a workplace health challenge, she recommends to everyone 30-45 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. She prefers that we alternate. Lately, I've been doing a variety of cardio, but I am looking to incorporate 15-20 minutes of strength training. :-)
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're exercising plenty (but mix up the cardio with strength training). If you're eating that little, I hope you're eating back exercise cals! And taking at least one rest day a week.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't needed for weight loss. It's done for better fitness and overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Interesting. Never knew that. I have noticed that I lost weight the first 2 months without working out but sticking to my new "diet" or eating habits. But I do feel good when I work out. I feel stronger and more energized.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options

On Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays I do weights. I just don't want to get too bulky...

Not sure if you're a male or female but if a female, it would take alot to get you as bulky as these men. If you're a male, you can always stop if you're at the bulk you need :-)