the downfalls of rocking a run

Options
I run in my neighborhood everyday and as much as I want to listen to music, I'm terrified that my lack of hearing what's around me puts me in a dangerous place (especially since I'm a female).

So I feel compelled to ask, what are your opinions on listening to music while running in public?

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I have earphones that are open enough to allow me to still hear what is going on. Especially since I do part of my runs through neighborhoods and I need to be able to hear vehicles.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I have earphones that are open enough to allow me to still hear what is going on. Especially since I do part of my runs through neighborhoods and I need to be able to hear vehicles.

Really? If you don't mind my asking, what type of earphones do you use?
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Just leave one earbud in and set the volume as low as you can while still being able to hear the music.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Just leave one earbud in and set the volume as low as you can while still being able to hear the music.

Yep, thats what I do
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You gotta trust your spidey senses. If they tell you it's not safe, it probably isn't.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I actually cut one ear bud off my pair that I only use for running. Then I keep the volume low.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I run / jog while my husband walks fast (I'm 5'1, he's 6'), I always stay within his sight and I don't run at night unless I am VERY close to him.
  • kylamaries
    Options
    I run / jog while my husband walks fast (I'm 5'1, he's 6'), I always stay within his sight and I don't run at night unless I am VERY close to him.

Oh, I just love this cooperation! :happy:
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I run without headphones because I run in the city. I like to be aware of my surroundings.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I'm aware of my surroundings and don't turn it up to ear drum bursting volume. Oh and I sing along with it. It makes me look insane and no one will mess with me! :wink:
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have the volume set so I can hear vehicles.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    No headphones for me. I'm already paranoid running the trails. I want to know if someone's running up around me.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have skull candy ones ($10) and I can hear cars around me. I don't blast my music but loud enough that I can hear it
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Fortunately my neighborhood has zero traffic except for people that live there, so I just pay attention and wear my earbuds. If I venture out further than my neighborhood I just keep one in and leave my right ear free. I also keep the volume down.
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I'm aware of my surroundings and don't turn it up to ear drum bursting volume. Oh and I sing along with it. It makes me look insane and no one will mess with me! :wink:

LOL.... love it!!
  • kylamaries
    Options

Kudos to you, I like this idea!!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I run for at least an hour everyday and have to have my music. I just use one ear bud:)
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in alaska, who is an avid runner, and she runs with one of these in her hands (for people, as well as bears)......

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manufacturers/S&W/Post war Revolvers/Smith & Wesson 500 .500 S&W Magnum caliber revolver with 4 barrel/759a19b71fb33f978ce71ce24932e9b7.jpg
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Really? If you don't mind my asking, what type of earphones do you use?
    Some cheap ($5-$10) no-name ear buds. They are the kind with the foam, and I am sure not to turn them up too much when out on the street. The ear buds that have the silicone ear piece that seals to your ear canal isolate too much outside noise.

You can get fairly fancy and try something like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennhesier-MX685-Adidas-Sports-Headphones/dp/B0094R4PBU/ref=pd_sim_e_7
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always have my music with me- and I run in my neighbourhood all the time. I use both my earbuds, but I make sure to keep volume low enough to hear the traffic. I've never had issues with that more with the drivers of said traffic not paying attention to rules of the road. Try it with one earbud and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that you won't use it again!