pole dancing!!!

Options
hi all,
this may sound a bit....hmmmm!! but anyway, i've heard that pole dancing is a great form of exercise, and its also supposed to do wonders for your self esteem. i was just wondering if anyone had tried it and whether the could give me any info, or just if they enjoyed it or not.
Thanx. :wink:

Replies

• atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a pole back in October after I went to a bar with one and had a blast on it. I took some flipping classes and a few dvds, but sad to say that I don't even use it now... It was really fun for the first few months but after that I kinda got bored of it. It can be a good workout if you spend about an hour a day on it, but I don't think it burned too many calories on it.. Its fun when friends come over, drink, and try it out though lol
  • jue1
    jue1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Ha ha! yeah i can imagine, i suppose it would be better to take an actual class for the calorie burning part. i just think it sounds lots of fun for a different kind of workout. what were the classes like? x
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    there's a gym in my town that teaches classes - some are more fitness oriented than others. but from what i hear, yes, it can be a great workout and does wonders for your core -- but i suspect, like everything else, that really only happens when you push yourself :).
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I LOVE the Carmen Electra Aerobic striptease videos! They are alot of fun and they also help with cardio and muscle tone. And yeah, self esteem!
  • jue1
    Options
    hiya, yeah i've seen that one, i've been lookin on ebay for a pole and dvd and there are quite a few of the carmen electra ones available. Do you think it gives a good enough workout? and also do you know how many cals it burns in each session?
    Cheers hun. x
  • Natalie7227
    Options
    I would never purchase a pole for my house but I do workout at a place that teaches pole dancing and I get an excellent workout
    with some other added benefits. You can be any size and do this too and it really works your core and arm muscles. It's fun and a great workout.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    hiya, yeah i've seen that one, i've been lookin on ebay for a pole and dvd and there are quite a few of the carmen electra ones available. Do you think it gives a good enough workout? and also do you know how many cals it burns in each session?
    Cheers hun. x

They are a pretty good workout; not TOO heavy on the cardio but enough to make you sweat, and they give you a full body workout by moving around (especially in the abs). I do not have a hrm but i have found various sources saying that dancing in general burns 300-400 cals/hour depending on your weight.
  • SamanthaT01
    SamanthaT01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I took classes for almost a year and a half at Sheila Kelly's S-Factor I can tell you for a fact that it is an awesome workout. Her method is based on ballet, yoga, and dance. I used to walk out of the two hour class drenched and was sore in muscles I didn't even know existed.
  • jue1
    Options
    Thanx for your replies everyone, i think i'm gonna try and find a class near me!!! wish me luck haha! x
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I dunno where your from but I know totalfitness in the uk have pole lessons
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to do pole fitness - got some pics in my profile - it is deffinately a good strength and toning exercise but unless you do a lot of the "dancing" it wasn't a massive calorie burner. It is great fun though and although I am now selling my pole (sniffle) I do plan on getting back into it in the future!

Have a look for some lessons, I'm sure you will enjoy it! :)
    -x-x-
  • jue1
    Options
    hiya, i've just been looking on the net and have found a great site called pole seduction, in wigan (i'm not far from there) there next class is on wednesday so i'm going....oooh wish me luck!! haha :blushing:
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!! I think I am much to self consious for that!
  • PrincessSweetOne
    Options
    Pole Dancing is fantastic, I've been doing it for almost 2 years now and I totally love it!! I've noticed tons more strength in my upper body (the very first class, the teacher had us jump up and hold on to the pole using just our biceps for as long as we could, I slid down like a fireman in about 10 seconds :laugh: , but now I can hang there for as long as I feel.) I've also noticed that my legs and butt are getting really toned from the climbing drills we do every class.

If your anything like me, you will feel this complete sense of satisfaction when you get a spin right. I do own some of the Carmen Electra dvds, but I find that I don't really use them anymore, I have a pole at home so I prefer using that. Good luck and have a blast!
  • Abygrrl189
    Abygrrl189 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought my pole from Xpole. I love it and have built up a lot of upper body strength! It holds me for whatever tricks I want to do (or attempt lol) It holds a lot of weight. Hope you find one that works for you.
  • kingkimi1213
    kingkimi1213 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I bought my pole from Xpole. I love it and have built up a lot of upper body strength! It holds me for whatever tricks I want to do (or attempt lol) It holds a lot of weight. Hope you find one that works for you.

I have a pole from xpole too :D I love love LOVE it my muscle hurt so much after but then I get more stronger and graceful everytime I do it. My favorite exercise piece I ever bought. I havnet used it in about a couple of months because my garage (where its up at) it crammed with funiture, but a yard sale this weekend may change that!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I've heard X Pole is the brand to go with if you want one for home, supposedly the best on the market =)

I don't have my own pole, but I do take classes, and I love them! My body has gotten so much more toned, and while its a little awkward to get the hang of at first, the learning curve is rather steep, so after you start to get the basics things pick up pretty quickly. As far as calories go, it's not a massive burn, but it will do wonders for your conditioning, and your confidence. I pretty much always feel sexy nowadays, no matter what my weight's doing. It really is great, especially if you find mroe traditional exercise boring as h*ll, like me =p
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You could try flirty girl

http://www.flirtygirlfitness.com/

I saw it and thought about trying that but not sure
  • MommieDearest1966
    Options
    I have 3 poles an Xpole, a lil’mynx and a custom made (hubby is a machinist). I have also danced on a My Sexy Little Pole and a Flirty Girl and Platinum Stages many a time. So if any one has any questions about pole dancing or poles I would be glad to help. I love pole dancing and it really transformed my body. I’ve been at it for 2.5 years.