STUPID NET CALORIES

Options
Been on mfp for a yr+ and yet I still question net calories .. I would love to know what are your guys opinion on it ..

I eat 1500cals , I burn 500-800cals so I net 700-1000cals .. should I be eating more cals so I can net 1200 ?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• shikiwiki13
    Options

I eat 1500cals , I burn 500-800cals so I net 700-1000cals .. should I be eating more cals so I can net 1200 ?

Thanks in advance!

Yes!!
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    yes. Your body needs at least 1200 calories aside from exercise to take care of bodily functions such as beating heart, etc
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm was just sitting here confused with this same issue. According to medical weight loss program I'm on I'm to eat 1200 cal. I have had 1203 for the day. I used Map my walk to figure out cals burned- says 906 ( 102 minutes walking- not all at once). This means I have 903 remaining? Somehow that just can't be right- Thoughts?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Yes, your 1500 calorie goal already has your weight loss deficit built into it. When you work out you eat back the calories you lost so your deficit doesn't get too big.
  • iwerkouttttt
    Options
    What Net Calorie goal did it give you?

Calories Consumed - Calories Burned = Net Calories

If your Net Cal goal is 1,500 calories a day, you need to eat 1,500 calories a day. If you work out, you can eat more than 1,500 calories a day, but you will have to burn off however many extra calories you ate.

So if you ate 1,500 cal, burned 700 cal, you'd have to eat back those 700 calories to meet your goal weight.
    If you DON'T work out, you can't eat more than 1,500 per day.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Eat your food.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm was just sitting here confused with this same issue. According to medical weight loss program I'm on I'm to eat 1200 cal. I have had 1203 for the day. I used Map my walk to figure out cals burned- says 906 ( 102 minutes walking- not all at once). This means I have 903 remaining? Somehow that just can't be right- Thoughts?

couple of suggestions.

1) make sure you update mapmywalk settings to your new weight or it will calculate calories burned on your starting weight. go under setting -> profile, then update your weight

2) yes, your math is correct, but you dont have to eat all your exercise calories back since you are just estimating how much you burned, try buying a heart monitor to get a better estimate of calories burned. most people just eat 1/2 their exercise calories back unless your body is really asking for more food.

3)if you aren't hungry today, don't force feed yourself, save some calories for tomorrow, the weekend, etc..., use phone app to check your weekly average so you dont have to remember "i need to eat unused calories"

4)drink or eat protein shake or bar to get some calories in

good luck
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Sounds great!!!
  • SheAintGivinqUp160
    SheAintGivinqUp160 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and thanks everyone I finally get it lol .. if I DON'T workout , I should eat 1200-1500cals .. but when I do workout ill eat more like 1700-2000cals dependin on my burn
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    yes...you should. netting so little is not good for you.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    MFP intends for you to eat your exercise calories, so you should be netting your calorie goal every day.
    My goal is 1540, so if I don't exercise, that is what I eat.
    If I do exercise, I typically eat anywhere between 1600 and 2000 calories, depending on my burn. It has worked really well so far!