I'm worried insanity will make me too knackered for work

Options
Hey! I really want to try insanity, the results look great! the problem is that alot of people say that to begin with it makes your muscles really sore and you feel achey for a bit.
I'm a support worker and i spend alot of time running about, going up and down stairs, crouching down to dress and wash people etc. I remember once going in with sore legs from a workout at the gym and i could barely get up the stairs. it was agony on a 7/8 hour shift with no breaks!
Is it really as bad as people say? Does it get easier? [i know you progress onto different levels] I know its the same with any exercise but ive noticed people seem to struggle with this. and i know you have to do it every day.
Apart from the activity in my job I currently swim 3 or 4 times a week so im used to exercise.
I would only be able to do it in the morning before work as i leave for work at 2:30pm and i'm too tired to do it when i've finished.

ramble ramble :) any tips?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it when you have a couple of days off? When you get off work, do a workout and see what you can do the next day?

If you have regular "weekends" (two consecutive days off every week), you could plan on doing the workout once a week.
  • liltenji
    liltenji Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I dont have any consecutive days off apart from every other weekend and i dont really fancy spending them in pain. then again i dont really fancy being a fatass forever so i might give it a try, thanks :)
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    It didn't make me too sore. More tired than sore because you aren't doing a million squats and lunges, but rather more cardio things like jumping jacks and squats jumps. The first two workouts resulted in me being fatigued, but nothing I couldn't recover from in a few hours. If you are active now, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

I'm a few weeks into the program and I LOVE how energized I feel after each video.
  • liltenji
    Options
    Ahh thats ok, i dont mind being a bit tired but its the soreness i cant be doing with! I might give it a go then :)
  • pyronymph1
    pyronymph1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how hard you push yourself. I just did the fit test yesterday, and I really pushed and tried my hardest (like you're suppose to). Today I am sore, but the more I move, the less I'm sore. When I stop for a while (like right now as I sit here typing) it's painful for me to get going again. My muscles feel like they are binding onto themselves in an attempt to heal.

The first time I did Insanity I also walked 3 miles the same day - the next day I was in agony every time I moved. Getting up and down to pee was the worst!

But otherwise I feel amazing! Energy is through the roof and emotionally I am really just kinda soaring! If you can get through the first few days it does get... better. Not easier, but better.
  • mewtwo500
    mewtwo500 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will warn you that I experienced A LOT of soreness in my calves and shins (and a little in my feet) after the first couple of workouts--I was in pretty decent shape but not used to all the jumping and plyometrics. The rest of my muscles were fine though, and the soreness went away in a couple of days.
  • liltenji
    Options
    thank you for everyones posts :) i think im gonna try it at some point and just suck it up at work. if it really really affects my work then i will just have to find something else to do!
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    I was a bit sore in the calves for the first couple of days but added in a calf stretch at the end as they don't do any. I found this really helped with the soreness.
  • pyronymph1
    pyronymph1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have found that doing yoga a little later helps a lot - I don't think that the stretching they do in Insanity is sufficient for the amount of stress they put on the muscles.
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was only sore for the first week and haven't been sore since, I'm on week 5. I think it you can handle a few days of it it will subsisde once you get on with the work out. However, I've head that soreness returns with month 2 which I haven't began yet. It did totally wipe me out the first week I was sore and exhausted, but it's worth getting through that because it's an excellent work out.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. No matter what new exrcise program you start you will have some soreness for at least the first week. Don't let that be a deterrent, you just have to push through, and if it gets really bad, take an advil. Do your first workout on a Friday (or whatever the last day of your work week is) so that you have the weekend to recover.
  • shamizali
    shamizali Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been doing Insanity for about 3 weeks now and am on week 2. I run and lift weights as well, so I'm not as dedicated as I probably should be. I do it before work as well and after the workout I am tired but once you recover I have more energy and I feel great. My first week though was hard, but nothing you can't handle especially if you are a swimmer and in decent shape.