Chinese for lunch...oh no!

Options
So I'm going with a friend to lunch today and it's a chinese buffet! What could I eat that wouldn't be too bad?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    eat lots of steamed veggies, avoid anything breaded/fried of course, look for something in a light sauce.... like green bean chicken. if everything looks heavily sauced, remember you can dab off some sauce and just pick out the protein and put it over your steamed veggies...fill up on a bowl of soup
    or....
    just enjoy whatever dish you like but eat only a small portion and don't go back for more just because you can!
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    I'm curious to know what food options are 'safer' then others for dieters when it comes to Chinese. I love love LOVE Chinese, but realize that it's got alot of sodium because of the soy sauce.

Rice is probably the worst, along with the fried chicken pieces that go in the sweet and sour sauce. My choices for the best thing would probably be the green beans in garlic or whatever it is that they are in, and chicken and broccoli? I'm not sure.
  • ellathebella123
    Options
    i have got the same problem as you! i am going for a buffet tomorrow... oh no i am worried that my will power will fail me big time!! xx
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    maybe try googling chinese food nutrition values. i love google, i google everything :) as for me i cannot go to a buffet cause even though i have good intentions once i get there, i want to eat too much and i do so i avoid them at all costs.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    My advice is, If you can't trust yourself at a buffet.... DON'T GO TO A BUFFET! :noway:
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Found this on the internet:

Healthier choices

Egg drop, miso, wonton, or hot & sour soup
    Stir-fried, steamed, roasted or broiled entrees (shrimp chow mein, chop suey)
    Steamed or baked tofu
    Sauces such as ponzu, rice-wine vinegar, wasabi, ginger, and low-sodium soy sauce
    Steamed brown rice
    Edamame, cucumber salad, stir-fried veggies

Less healthy choices

Fried egg rolls, spare ribs, tempura
    Battered or deep-fried dishes (sweet and sour pork, General Tso’s chicken)
    Deep-fried tofu
    Coconut milk, sweet and sour sauce, regular soy sauce
    Fried rice
    Salads with fried or crispy noodles
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    One great thing about buffets is that they usualy have a large selection on the salad bar! Most every asian buffet I have been to has had some kind of cold sea food (shrimp or crab legs) available with the salads. Many have had some kind of meat on a stick that had been either baked or grilled. Go for the steamed dumplings, the stir fry, or grilled salmon. Limit the soy sauce, and ask if the foods have been prepared with MSG (avoid the added sodium). For desert (if you were a good girl :wink: hit the salad bar for the fresh fruit.

Have fun!
  • Tandksmommy10
    Options
    MzBug- I totally forgot about the salad bar! Probably because I've never touched it :embarassed: . And the cold shrimp is an awesome way to get protein and low cals in. I've been eating more shrimp now then I have in my life!

Sad to see egg rolls on the list for not so good choices. :ohwell:
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When we go out for Chinese, I often build my dinner out of side dishes to keep it healthier. I love bok choy and kai-lan!
  • Slimkickin23
    Options
    If you are worried about you will power failing you, eat something before you go like a cup of carrots and then you will be able to stop yourself after just one plate. Try splitting an egg roll with your friend and eat tons of veggies! Thats all I can think of. Good Luck! :happy: , Chloe
  • ecrb
    ecrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We're going out to dinner tonight so I typed in the name of the restaurant we're going to and selected a couple of things to see what my remaining balance for the day would be. Even if you find another chinese restaurant in there, you'll at least get a ballpark idea. Good luck!