Keep eating my Protiens?????

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Better hope you know who doesn't contribute to this thread.
    His brother-in-arms is already here.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I know. Mr Barbell Curls
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I know. Mr Barbell Curls

you know they work yer whole body right?
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I know. Mr Barbell Curls

you know they work yer whole body right?
    Going to the gym tomorrow and dropping bench, rows and press and just doing curls and I will only eat 50 grams of protein tomorrow.

Not srs
  • waistaway80
    waistaway80 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Optimum Nutrition whey protein - milk chocolate mixed with 8 ounces of fat free milk is heavenly!! Put it in a shaker and it tastes like you're cheating - better than Nestle's!!! 24 grams of protein per scoop - plus what's in the milk!!
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I have a question...I have been cutting for the last 12 weeks....my LBM is about 160...my research indicates according to my weight I should be getting at least 160g of protien a day to preserve LBM...I'm a newbe to strength training...meaning this is my first time training for strength...I always did 3 sets of 10 in the past...all my lifts are continueing to increase and my muscle is finally starting to show, my question is do I really need to get 160g of protien to preserve LBM...I usually get around 100g...thanks

Yes, you do. Make friends with whey.

ok....so tired of whey
    You could try Egg White protein powder.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Crap
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

A good example is "the breast fast companies" .

What do plastic surgeons have to do with it?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    no you do not! anywhere from 50 to 80 is perfect!

Ignore this.

Shoot for 1g/lb of lbm.

ignore this. ridiculous to use a cookie cutter method for everyone. Protein intake should vary.

Here is an example.

Person 1: Doesn't do much, over weight, pretty sedentary. Has an LBM of 130lbs.
    Person 2: Olympic athlete, trains many hours a day with an LBM of 130lbs.
    Person 3: Woman who is breast feeding, and has a broken leg and an LBM of 130

Person 4: Someone who is strength training in a deficit and trying to minimize muscle loss.

^^^This is who the recommendation is geared toward^^^
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    no you do not! anywhere from 50 to 80 is perfect!

Ignore this.

Shoot for 1g/lb of lbm.

ignore this. ridiculous to use a cookie cutter method for everyone. Protein intake should vary.

Here is an example.

Person 1: Doesn't do much, over weight, pretty sedentary. Has an LBM of 130lbs.
    Person 2: Olympic athlete, trains many hours a day with an LBM of 130lbs.
    Person 3: Woman who is breast feeding, and has a broken leg and an LBM of 130

You think person 1,2 and 3 should eat the same amount of protein??? Once again OP, use common sense. Don't follow people blindly.

I see your point...thanks for the help
  • mryak750
    Options
    I have a question...I have been cutting for the last 12 weeks....my LBM is about 160...my research indicates according to my weight I should be getting at least 160g of protien a day to preserve LBM...I'm a newbe to strength training...meaning this is my first time training for strength...I always did 3 sets of 10 in the past...all my lifts are continueing to increase and my muscle is finally starting to show, my question is do I really need to get 160g of protien to preserve LBM...I usually get around 100g...thanks

You will be fine... you said your muscles are showing more... and you have been consuming about 100g of protein a day??? If what you're doing is working, no need to change it. There are many vegans and people who consume lower amounts of protein who have great physiques. Use common sense, don't follow what people say blindly.

It kills me because everyone thinks that formula is for everyone....people have had muscular body comps for 100's of years...and they didnt have food scales and MFP to track their protein macros
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    EDIT: I'm confusing my posters --

OP -- what is your bodyweight and bodyfat % and what is your total activity throughout the week?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

You will be fine... you said your muscles are showing more... and you have been consuming about 100g of protein a day??? If what you're doing is working, no need to change it. There are many vegans and people who consume lower amounts of protein who have great physiques. Use common sense, don't follow what people say blindly.

It kills me because everyone thinks that formula is for everyone....people have had muscular body comps for 100's of years...and they didnt have food scales and MFP to track their protein macros
    who?

who has?
  • mryak750
    Options

OP -- what is your bodyweight and bodyfat % and what is your total activity throughout the week?

6'2
    225 Ibs
    27% BF
    Compound lifts...deads, bench, power cleans, squats/front and back,OHP, rows and some accessory work...3-4 days per week...walking and biking 3-4 per week...
  • DatMurse
    Options

6'2
    225 Ibs
    27% BF
    Compound lifts...deads, bench, power cleans, squats/front and back,OHP, rows and some accessory work...3-4 days per week...walking and biking 3-4 per week...

are you bodybuilding or powerlifting?
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Yes, you do. Make friends with whey.

ok....so tired of whey

Tofu???
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

6'2
    225 Ibs
    27% BF

Losing weight, and lifting heavy, and exercising.

Your protein needs are at the high end of the spectrum. That means you should be looking at a minimum of 1 gram per lb of lean mass.
  • mryak750
    Options

6'2
    225 Ibs
    27% BF

sorry forgot to add that....power lifting....2-5 reps for everying except...curls and tricep extensions...sometimes I'll even do max weight with barbell curls for 3 reps
  • DatMurse
    Options

6'2
    225 Ibs
    27% BF

sorry forgot to add that....power lifting....2-5 reps for everying except...curls and tricep extensions...sometimes I'll even do max weight with barbell curls for 3 reps
    honestly I don't know how much of a role protein plays into powerlifting. The components of strength gains are still foreign to me cause I have no reason to do it anymore. Since I have degenerative disc disease my discs cannot handle spinal compression of more than 375(or I will be bed ridden), but I can rep 350 15 times on deadlift.

its weird and sucks
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The answer is a bit complex here because in addition to your protein intake your total energy deficit needs to be considered.

I'd consider keeping protein at 160g based on your stats but can you tell me how accurate your logging is in terms of tracking food intake?

How fast are you losing weight at your current intake? I'm showing an average intake of 1750kcals over the past month which is much lower than you should be at, but that assumes you are logging and weighing everything.