How does Basal Metabolic Rate work?

Options
I don't understand what BMR is, or how it works, or how it's beneficial to me losing body fat?
Also, if anyone knows of good cardio or aerobic work outs to melt body fat, I'd love to hear it.

19 years old, female, 5'6" tall, 124 lbs.

What are some good online sites that calculate an accurate BMR?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories your body burns in order to maintain normal system functions if you were in a coma.

The number you need to find amd be concerned about is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is the amount of calories that your body burns each day including your activity level. Eat below your TDEE and you will lose weight, it is as simple as that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories your body burns in order to maintain normal system functions if you were in a coma.

The number you need to find amd be concerned about is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is the amount of calories that your body burns each day including your activity level. Eat below your TDEE and you will lose weight, it is as simple as that.

so your saying that raspberry ketone cleanse is not why I lost weight?
  • whierd
    Options

so your saying that raspberry ketone cleanse is not why I lost weight?

It probably was. But only when taken in suppository form.
  • iwerkouttttt
    Options

Okay, so http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html says my TDEE is 2,183. Just eat below that? Allllllllright.
  • whierd
    Options

Okay, so http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html says my TDEE is 2,183. Just eat below that? Allllllllright.

Assuming that your TDEE is 2,183 and your picture is accurate, I recommend subtracting 10% from your TDEE and eating that. 1965 unless I subtracted wrong.
  • iwerkouttttt
    Options

Assuming that your TDEE is 2,183 and your picture is accurate, I recommend subtracting 10% from your TDEE and eating that. 1965 unless I subtracted wrong.

Thank you. I understand now. Hoping to lose at least 5 lbs of body fat...
  • whierd
    Options

Thank you. I understand now. Hoping to lose at least 5 lbs of body fat...

Eat your calories and be consistent amd it will come off at a reasonable pace.