First post C25K running workout and discouraged

Options
Today I started going to the weekly running workout with the "real" runners in my area. I recently finished a learn to run program and ran my first 5k race on sunday. I was so encouraged and motivated because I finished reasonably well (sub 29) but now I am not so sure.

This was a speed interval training session and I went with the beginner group (which turned out not to be very beginner!). We started with a 1200m warmup, 400m plyometric, 9x 400m 5K race pace, 2x400m pursuit and 400m cooldown.

The problem was that the race pace my group was running was way faster than my race pace :( I was the second slowest in the group and every lap I ran was between 1:50 and 2:00 (making it a 8 minute mile) and by the second pursuit lap my legs felt like they were going to fall off.

I felt like it was an excellent workout but I'm not sure if I belong with these people yet. I wasn't far behind but I wasn't running in the pack (I was for the first 4 400 m but after than fell behind a bit each lap). I want to improve so I need this kick in the butt to motivate me to work harder but I'm not sure if it is proper etiquette to be a bit slower than the rest. I am wondering what the real runners think of having novices who are slower than them train with them. Is it ok? No one said anything to me about it but I am self conscious.

Replies

• eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You did c25k and you finished the workout that in my mind makes you a real runner!!! ijs
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    That is a very challenging workout. Don't be discouraged. You said the repeats were at 5k race pace yet you ran the first one at 8:00 pace. That isn't your 5k pace yet, so of course each subsequent repeat is going to be harder. Don't be ashamed to run those. Workouts at your correct pace. Doing them too fast doesn't make you faster, it just makes you too tired and sore to do the next proper workout.

Hang in there. Work on your base by doing lots of easy miles. The speed will come.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I ran them all at 1:50-2:00 per 400m not just the first one. I just didn't want to look stupid as the majority were running around 1:45/400m. :(
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    A real runner is a person that puts their shoes on and hits the pavement. Don't judge yourself against others just do your best
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    A real runner would applaud your effort and determination to improve. IMO
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sub 29 is pretty terrific! Sounds like you are doing great - although it is disheartening at first, I'd rather be with a group that pushes me to get better and faster. Think how awesome it will be when you're running with the pack!!!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I will be doing my first 5K this Saturday, I am hoping for a sub 45 time. I would say you are doing just fine. Don't give up!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. The speed group I am in having runner way above my level too. The group member consistently wins their age groups of races (large ones), and some are even placing in national races (in their age groups). It can be discouraging sometimes, but it is also inspiring! MORE inspiring. And it is getting more rewarding as I stick with the group and melding in.

It has been a few months now, and I find it most rewarding. They even missed me a couple of weeks ago when I went on travel (and it felt good when they asked, "Where were you?" :laugh: ). Ha!

I am lucky enough to have a good friend runner going as well (she is more experienced, and she encourages me to go). We are running our first marathon in October. I love being part of this group, and I am slowly getting to know the people there. My feeling is, as long as you are trying, you are 'real' runner.

It is hard to keep your pace if you are slower. I go a slightly faster than 'suggested', but I try to keep consistent on the distances. because it is so hard to be 'behind'. My recommendation is to stick with it for a few months and then re-evaluate. It takes time to meld in, and in the long run, it is good to have a group that you feel comfortable with - even if it takes some time.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My first 5K (after college) was 32 minutes PLUS. WTG on the sub 29!
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    And I thought I was doing good with a 5 km time under 48 min, someday I will get there