New to exercise, how did you do it?

Options
Hey, I'm trying to shed 60+ pounds but the gym is incredibly confusing and intimidating. I've had personal training sessions which i can't really afford more of, but i feel totally clueless in the gym. How did you know what to do, what to use, if your forms correct? And how did you know when to change your routine. I also have trouble with completing sets. I get to the point where my body's shaking and just won't move :s. I'm also looking at routines online but I have no idea what the actions are :S. I'm seeing all these photos of fit women and I have no clue how to get to that point and if it's possible.

Replies

• tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find workout routines online that other people use and use them. When I don't understand what an exercise is I look it up on exrx and then check out youtube and go oh yeah I can do that. It also helps me to plan out my workouts ahead of time. I bring with me a piece of paper and pen and write down what exercises I'm going to do, how many sets and reps I hope to accomplish. Then what I actually did.

To check my form I watch youtube videos and record myself with my phone, review it and post it online so people can critique my form (people love doing this for some reason).

I change my routine when I get bored of it, stop seeing my lifts go up, or every 12-14 weeks. It's possible to get to where the fit women are, you just have to work at it. Seriously this stuff doesn't happen over night or in 6 months. You live it 24/7.

Concerning your shaking thing I don't know.

You got this don't be intimidated by the weights. They are inanimate objects. Sometimes after I'm done with a tough set I give em the finger just to show 'em who's boss.
  • mkmerrill
    mkmerrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love love love videos. You can change it up and you only look silly to yourself
  • waistaway80
    waistaway80 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find that printing out a blank monthly calendars and writing what I'm going to do each day really works. I have a Total Gym at home and free weights. I work my upper body twice a week (2 days rest) and lower body between 1 and 2 times (2 days rest in between) and then do cardio on days off. If you're new to lifting and weight training, I found that www.bodybuilding.com is an excellent source of information. They have personal trainers with advice and it's all a free site. Good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com and Jefit.com are two good resources for beginner lifters. The former has a lot of good information on how to workout, proper form and the underlying logic to the workouts, as well as having a lot of good bodyweight exercies you can do at home. The latter is a vast compendium of different exercises and routines broken down by type and skill level. It's a good way to find a routine you like or create your own. Plus, it has an app that you can get on your phone to track your exercises and let you know what all you have to do.