I JUST GOT MY HRM

WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
AND I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE it :):)

I just did 8 minutes of Just Dance and burned 72 calories!!
I just may be addicted to this now :)

So seriously those with HRM do you record everything? What does MFP calculate and what should I?

Replies

• Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    I got mine on Tuesday...I love mine too!! As for what to record, I am still trying to figure that out. I was discussing that on another thread and based on someone elses comment was thinking that I need to subtract my BMR from the calories earned. Still not sure what to do. I read somewhere else about some waiting for their HR to return to resting before tracking their cals...but to me that seems like cheating when I am just sitting around...so not sure on that one either

As you can see I have more questions than answers so am very glad you started this thread
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I have never subtracted out my BMR calories, and I just record exercise, I dont wear it all the time, you will find what a huge difference the webpage and gym equipment give you
  • What is HRM?? I would love to know exercise outside of the Gym!
  • Corrie62
    I have never subtracted out my BMR calories, and I just record exercise, I dont wear it all the time, you will find what a huge difference the webpage and gym equipment give you

And you are doing awesome...so you must be doing something right...WTG
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    I don't have an HRM, but have been seriously thinking about it. What kind did you get? And where did you get it from?
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    What is HRM?? I would love to know exercise outside of the Gym!

It is a Heart Rate Monitor. I love mine and record all exercise if Im wearing it. Like when Im cleaning and cooking I wear my HRM and I am always surprised how many calories I burn.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    I got the polar f6 off ebay and I am giddy about this freakin thing...lol.

I generally walk 2-5 miles a night so really want to see how this thing calculates that. I have been using my iphone. I guess I will count it as exercise if it isn't something I normally do like the walking and the wii.

Anyone else have any tips cause I am so excited about it.
  • Corrie62
    I got an Polar FT7 based on the discussions on here. I purchased mine from a local running store. It was a bit pricey ($156 CDN), but I think it will be one of the best purchases I have made. And it's fun too.:happy:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I got an Polar FT7 based on the discussions on here. I purchased mine from a local running store. It was a bit pricey ($156 CDN), but I think it will be one of the best purchases I have made. And it's fun too.:happy:

I love mine, man my wife must have got a deal on mine, she paid $89 US when she bought it
  • hot2b86
    hot2b86 Posts: 19
    Do all HRM's show calories burned?.. I'm looking at a few right now on ebay. Wondering what is the best to get...
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    I also LOVE my HRM, and I think I'm a little addicted to it because the other day when I went to the YMCA I forgot it and thought I was going to die if I had to rely on the machines (though they are usually fairly close for me)...anyway, mine is a BOWFLEX and I puchased it off a store from EBAY.....Amazing value and the known BOWFLEX qaulity.....I love the HRM because you can tell at a glance your heart rate.....it will tell you how long you were at, above or below your zone during your workout...your fat and calories burned....and a whole bunch of other things....it's soooo neat.......just make sure yours has a chest strap in addition to the watch because when I was researching when I purchased mine....it was highly recommendded (and said to be more accurate)...hope this helps......best investment I made yet!!
  • hot2b86
    hot2b86 Posts: 19

I just checked out all the info u put and thanks... that really cleared up a lot of questions!
  • gypsy_nurse
    gypsy_nurse Posts: 39 Member
    i just ordered an FT7..got it on ebay for 82.00. i'm so excited to get it & start using it. For everyone who has it..do you only use it all the time or just when you're working out? If anyone could give me some pointers, i'd really appreciate it.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Love my HRM too and I record it all and state as per my GPS/HRM.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Oh, only use it when exercising (on at start and off immediately at finish) I figure the rest of my normal activities--my body is already used to that.....just my opinion...
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Did you get yours at Running Room? If so, I find they are quite costly, but the staff is so informative it's almost worth paying a few more bucks. I bought my Polar F11 at Fitness Depot and if I'm not mistaken the Polar F11 is one of the top models and although they gave me a really good deal it's the best money I have spent. Although I'm so depressed when I see how few calories I burn, compared to what my cheapo Walmart HRM told me. It's no wonder I'm not losing more weight! Ha ha.

Enjoy your FT7!
  • Corrie62
    Did you get yours at Running Room? If so, I find they are quite costly, but the staff is so informative it's almost worth paying a few more bucks. I bought my Polar F11 at Fitness Depot and if I'm not mistaken the Polar F11 is one of the top models and although they gave me a really good deal it's the best money I have spent. Although I'm so depressed when I see how few calories I burn, compared to what my cheapo Walmart HRM told me. It's no wonder I'm not losing more weight! Ha ha.

Enjoy your FT7!

Yup Running Room. Couldn't find another place that sold them here (Saskatoon). I am loving it so far, but have noticed quite a bit of change from MFP calculations. Yesterdays was over 100 cals, but then again I forgot to turn my on during the warm up..lol
  • jlout
    jlout Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the information...........I was going to get a HRM but I don't think I will now. I want to get healthy and run a marathon so I'll wait.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I got my Polar F6 for about $85 plus shipping & handling on Amazon. Love it! :happy: I only use it to record walks or runs, and when I do ab work (ab ripper x and pilates), as well as swimming. I use MFP's calculations for strength training and everything else is extra...unless it's a heavy duty cleaning day where I'm running around like crazy, then I might wear it and track that.

Oh - and I do subtract my BMR. It seems to be working for me so I'll continue doing it!
This discussion has been closed.